Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSB Pick 'em 2018 Redux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool 3 fights this weekend-def gonna shake up the leaderboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by PICK EM CREW View Post
      Well you're not doing terrible already, man, but it was a thought when we set up the triple that it might shake things up a bit!
      Hell yeah! You guys are doing a great job!

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
        Cool...........
        One last question, if I pick the wrong fighter do I lose points or do I not just get the points?

E.G. I have 25 points, if I pick the wrong fighter do I lose 20 points?

Comment

• Originally posted by McNulty View Post
          One last question, if I pick the wrong fighter do I lose points or do I not just get the points?

E.G. I have 25 points, if I pick the wrong fighter do I lose 20 points?
          No punishment for picking the wrong fighter.

Comment

No punishment for picking the wrong fighter.
            Too easy, thanks man!

Comment

Too easy, thanks man!
              Maybe we should punish for wrong picks.

Comment

That'd completely change the game, man. It might make it more interesting in some ways, certainly the leaderboard would be more volatile and you'd expect to see more players exercising tactical abstentions, but I wouldn't even think about making that major a change without a large majority of players on board and probably only at the start of a new year.

As it stands, though, a player just picking the bookies favourite and DEC, CLOSE each time would be comfortably in the top 10 if they'd used a few mults and picked on every fight this year... it would be nice to find some way to seperate the players a bit more effectively.

One change we might look at would be modifying the rewards for METHOD and DETAIL picks though. I think a proposed change to 20/7/3 (R/M/D) scoring had been well received by the players, but some variant thereof could be interesting - maybe a bonus on perfect picks or 20/10/5 or even 20/10/10 perhaps. Something that would reward players for more than just picking the favourite.

EDIT: Another thought would be to lower the threshold (and possibly increase the reward) for underdog picks. Maybe bring it down to 3/1 or 4/1 from 5/1 and set the mult at 4/10 or 1/3 the odds? It might encourage fence sitters to jump on the underdog action a little more.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 04-07-2018, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                  That'd completely change the game, man. It might make it more interesting in some ways, certainly the leaderboard would be more volatile and you'd expect to see more players exercising tactical abstentions, but I wouldn't even think about making that major a change without a large majority of players on board and probably only at the start of a new year.

As it stands, though, a player just picking the bookies favourite and DEC, CLOSE each time would be comfortably in the top 10 if they'd used a few mults and picked on every fight this year... it would be nice to find some way to seperate the players a bit more effectively.

One change we might look at would be modifying the rewards for METHOD and DETAIL picks though. I think a proposed change to 20/7/3 (R/M/D) scoring had been well received by the players, but some variant thereof could be interesting - maybe a bonus on perfect picks or 20/10/5 or even 20/10/10 perhaps. Something that would reward players for more than just picking the favourite.

EDIT: Another thought would be to lower the threshold (and possibly increase the reward) for underdog picks. Maybe bring it down to 3/1 or 4/1 from 5/1 and set the mult at 4/10 or 1/3 the odds? It might encourage fence sitters to jump on the underdog action a little more.
                  Yeah man. We can consider those changes for next year.

Comment

I would be up for it. Might make some people unhappy. Maybe like a hardcore league or something. I dunno, you know these guys better than I do.

Comment

I would be up for it. Might make some people unhappy. Maybe like a hardcore league or something. I dunno, you know these guys better than I do.
                      Got a few ideas in the post I made above but I think it's too late in the day to change the Pick 'em that radically this year... maybe put it to the players and see what they think for next year though.

Alternatively you... or anyone else who wants to put the hours in could do exactly as you suggested. Maybe see whether anyone wants to join in a separate league where you can use the regular Pick 'em picks to save on duplication but score 'em as agreed by any players who want to join in the.. yeah, why not? 'Hardcore league'.

I ain't taking on any extra duties myself, but I'm more than willing to share advice and tips with anyone who wants to set something like that up.. maybe save 'em from making some of the ****** mistakes I made when we took over from BroBob.

Comment

Working...
                      X