No announcement yet.

NSB Pick 'em 2018 Redux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oluminati View Post
    C'mon, every other "fantasy" game does until game starts. I don't see a reason to differ.
    Normally, I'd agree.

I just want to make things as easy and uncomplicated as possible for the guys who stepped up and took over when Bob had to give it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
      Normally, I'd agree.

I just want to make things as easy and uncomplicated as possible for the guys who stepped up and took over when Bob had to give it up.
      Didn't Bob have a away to save the thread and capture it all?

Comment

Didn't Bob have a away to save the thread and capture it all?
        I tried to write a script to save the pages but I couldn't get something to work consistently. I bet Bobby Deez would know how to do it, because there was a long period where he was doing like 500 posts per day and he must have written something to do that.

What I ended up doing most weeks is going to each page, right clicking and hitting save as. This gave me a copy of each page locally as it stood at the time I saved it. I changed my settings to view 40 posts per page, so usually this only required me to save a few pages. Not too bad. The only inconvenience is that it required me to be vigilant about saving when the fight started since I couldn't make the poll close whenever I wanted.

Then I'd copy and paste from the saved poll page into an excel sheet and with it update the main sheet. Then I'd go through very quickly in the saved thread pages to look for posts with a multiplier or changed pick. Ideally if everyone follows the format for multipliers exactly, that part could be automated but in practice so many people did not that it actually made more sense to just thumb through the pages by hand.

Then the last step was a script that converted the main excel sheet into an HTML table formatted in a way that would look reasonable on the forum. I'd take that table and paste it into the OP.

The most expensive part was figuring who hadn't picked before and adding new rows to the main sheet for them. I had just figured an ugly way to automatically compare the list of names from spreadsheet for one fight with the main spreadsheet the last week I was in charge of the leaderboard.

Also, users who changed their names would show up twice in the leaderboard when doing it the way I did it. For a few regulars I just remembered who they were so I could change their name on my copy to their original name. EG. I would change 'DramaShow' to 'BigDramaShow' so that his new pick would be added to his existing row.
        Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
          I tried to write a script to save the pages but I couldn't get something to work consistently. I bet Bobby Deez would know how to do it, because there was a long period where he was doing like 500 posts per day and he must have written something to do that.

What I ended up doing most weeks is going to each page, right clicking and hitting save as. This gave me a copy of each page locally as it stood at the time I saved it. I changed my settings to view 40 posts per page, so usually this only required me to save a few pages. Not too bad. The only inconvenience is that it required me to be vigilant about saving when the fight started since I couldn't make the poll close whenever I wanted.

Then I'd copy and paste from the saved poll page into an excel sheet and with it update the main sheet. Then I'd go through very quickly in the saved thread pages to look for posts with a multiplier or changed pick. Ideally if everyone follows the format for multipliers exactly, that part could be automated but in practice so many people did not that it actually made more sense to just thumb through the pages by hand.

Then the last step was a script that converted the main excel sheet into an HTML table formatted in a way that would look reasonable on the forum. I'd take that table and paste it into the OP.

The most expensive part was figuring who hadn't picked before and adding new rows to the main sheet for them. I had just figured an ugly way to automatically compare the list of names from spreadsheet for one fight with the main spreadsheet the last week I was in charge of the leaderboard.

Also, users who changed their names would show up twice in the leaderboard when doing it the way I did it. For a few regulars I just remembered who they were so I could change their name on my copy to their original name. EG. I would change 'DramaShow' to 'BigDramaShow' so that his new pick would be added to his existing row.
          Cheers BroBob, I knew you'd be automating it to a degree somehow, but I wasn't really sure how to start going about it. My script-writing skills are pretty much non-existent, but I'm usually fairly quick at picking stuff up if necessary. I've managed to get quite quick at inputting the data directly via the post editor, though it does require a fairly keen eye (I've found myself calling on the skills I ain't used since a job doing data entry back in my teens man, that's a long damn time). It works, but it's slow, carries a high chance of error (hence multiple back up screen shots), and perhaps most importantly for these purposes, ain't an easily transferable skill. Ideally we need a method which can be picked up with simple instructions by someone with very limited computing skills. Added to which any extra software needed would need be available to anyone who might need to do the job - I'm a free software kind of dude, for instance, so it's Libre Office on Linux for me, but another user might not be able to follow my instructions (if I eventually come up with them) using a different package.

For the time being, with Siablo or john compiling the results I managed to get last weeks inputted in a coupla hours, which is doable, but I'm just concerned that if I need to drop out for some reason we need a system which isn't too labour intensive in case we ain't got another OCD oddball ready to step in.
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 03-11-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

C'mon, every other "fantasy" game does until game starts. I don't see a reason to differ.
            I think instead of noon just make it start of broadcast but Siablo and Koba are a lot more computer savvy then me and they seem to think its ok as it is now.The only thing that bothers me is it does not always show when you edit but idk.

Comment

• RESULTS FROM PICK EM #8 Scott Quigg vs Oscar Valdez & #9 Mikey Garcia vs Sergey Lipinets

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
              BigZ44 - 25 (Quigg:0; Garcia:25) *
              SceneBoxer - 0 (Quigg:0;Lipinets:0) *
              Eff Pandas - 75(Valdez:25, Garcia 2X:50) *
              DuckAdonis - 55 (Valdez:25, Garcia:30) *
              kidbazooka - 40 (Valdez:20, Garcia:20)
              Koba-Grozny - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              Pigeons - 55 (Valdez:25, Garcia:30) *
              HeadBodyBodyBody - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              John Locke - 55 (Valdez:30, Garcia:25) *
              jpowell100 - 20 (Quigg:0, Garcia:20)
              DramaShow - 55 (Valdez:25, Garcia:30) *
              BLASTER1 - 60 (Valdez:20, Garcia 2X:40) *
              Ganondorf - 20 (Quigg:0, Garcia:20) *
              Szef - 60 (Quigg:0, Garcia 3X:60) *
              Vegemil - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              FrankieClutch - 40 (Quigg:0, Garcia 2X:40) *
              RockyB - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia: 20) *
              NC Uppercut - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              MattsjabIR - 0 (Lipinets:0)
              Robbie Barrett - 40 (Quigg:0, Garcia 2X:40) *
              RJJ-94-02=GOAT - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              j0zef - 40 (Valdez:20, Garcia:20) *
              mathed - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              A.K - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              Abovetheclouds - 40 (Quigg:0, Garcia 2X:40) *
              otrocubiche - 60 (Quigg:0, Garcia 3X:60) *
              HandsofIron - 20 (Quigg:0, Garcia:20) *
              ruedboy - 80 (Valdez:20, Garcia 3X:60) *
              Idunnoshet - 90 (Valdez 2X:50, Garcia 2X:40) *
              Chrismart - 60 (Valdez:20, Garcia 2X:40) *
              Redd Foxx - 50 (Valdez:30, Garcia:20) *
              Just looking - 25 (Quigg:0, Garcia;25) *
              MindGame - 30 (Quigg:0, Garcia:30) *
              jmrf4435 - 25 (Quigg:0, Garcia:25) *
              KingTito - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              siablo14 - 65 (Valdez:25, Garcia 2X:40) *
              ThomasJK - 60 (Quigg 2X:0, Garcia 3X:60) *
              Mammoth - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              koolkc107 - 80 (Valdez:20, Garcia 3X:60) *
              ShoulderRoll - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              *TonyMontana* - 65 (Valdez:25, Garcia 2X:40) *
              Caught Square - 20 (Quigg:0, Garcia:20) *
              john l - 85 (Valdez:25, Garcia 2X:60) *
              BlakBread904 - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              Clegg - 50 (Valdez:20, Garcia:30) *
              Damn Wicked - 20 (Quigg:0, Garcia:20) *
              MulaKO - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              OnlyBeingHonest - 40 (Quigg:0, Garcia 2X:40) *
              Superbee - 50 (Valdez:20, Garcia:30) *
              Jubei - 20 (Valdez:20, Lipinets 3X:0) *
              BrometheusBob. - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              SUBZER0ED - 25 (Valdez:25, Lipinets:0) * QUERY - previous entry had 2 correct but only 25pts *
              FLY TY - 25 (Quigg:0, Garcia:25) *
              b morph - 30 (Quigg:0, Garcia:30) *
              Check_hooks - 50 (Valdez:20, Garcia:30) *
              Oluminati - 85 ( Valdez:25, Garcia 2X:60) *
              -MEGA- - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) *
              eco1 - 20 (Garcia:20) *
              SilverMiles - 40 (Valdez:20, Garcia:20) *
              Baltimore - 45 (Valdez:25, Garcia:20) Query: Recorded as 120pts off 2 correct prior to this weeks picks *
              As usual new players will only be added to the leaderboard if they have made at least one successful pick (ie for Valdez or Garcia). Players who are not already on the leaderboard will not be added if they picked unsuccessfully.

Players to be added to the leaderboard have been highlighted in red - although looking down the picks, I'm seeing very few new names this week.

an * by a player indicates that their leaderboard entry has been updated for this fight.

EDIT: New players added: kidbazooka, jpowell100
              Last edited by PICK EM CREW; 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• I had a horrible week. 20 whole points on Mikey. Oh well I still got multipliers in my pocket and big fights to come!

#WLARA!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ganondorf View Post
                  I had a horrible week. 20 whole points on Mikey. Oh well I still got multipliers in my pocket and big fights to come!

#WLARA!
                  Good for you. Some folks scoring negative. Using their multipliers and getting 0

Comment

• Originally posted by john l View Post
                    I think instead of noon just make it start of broadcast but Siablo and Koba are a lot more computer savvy then me and they seem to think its ok as it is now.The only thing that bothers me is it does not always show when you edit but idk.
                    Saving the pages locally seems the way to go as Bob describes below.

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post

Comment

Saving the pages locally seems the way to go as Bob describes below.
                      These guys know more then me when it comes to computers so yea sounds ok.

Comment

Working...
                      X