No announcement yet.

were ricky hatton and joe calzaghe overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
    That's Warrens opinion. Him pulling out of fights is facts. It took Calzaghe a decade to step up and fight the best. He was the joke of boxing for a long time. A couple of wins over faded HOF fighters doesn't wipe that out. Sorry.
    "Frank Warren did a piece on him and exposed him as a ducker"

Haha you haven't completely contradicted yourself I suppose.

The pull-outs had nothing to do with injuries.

Comment

I liked Calzaghe a lot. His style was very entertaining and I enjoyed a lot of his fights. He defended the WBO Super Middleweight title 21 times which is nothing to sneeze at. Very few fighters have ever gotten close to twenty. I don't think he's overrated at all. He's possibly underrated really. A lot of fans seem to either love him or hate him. Obviously some give him no respect which is fine but it doesn't negate his accomplishments along with his fights which were very fun to watch with his action style. I could watch Joe all day long.

I was never a huge Hatton fan, because I thought he did too much holding. He was fun to watch sometimes though and honestly I don't think he's overrated. Most seem to consider him a solid fighter who failed when he stepped to the next level with Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        "Frank Warren did a piece on him and exposed him as a ducker"

Haha you haven't completely contradicted yourself I suppose.

The pull-outs had nothing to do with injuries.
        How have i contradicted myself?

Warren pretty much said Calzaghe was afraid to step up and would pull out of fights at the last minute and give lame excuses.

Comment

There were question marks over Calzaghes punch technique pretty much all the way through his career. But around his chin? Nah not sure where you are getting that from. His chin was proven against Eubank, he took some hellacious bombs in that fight, and subsequently in fights after that. Yep Mitchell put him down, but he could punch, he might be a 'no name' to you and your obviously limited knowledge around the time but he was a good amateur and a multi-time champion who had been robbed by Ottke in his previous fight.

Calazghe hasn't been forgotten by anyone, I find it funny how some of you guys think you know perceptions in a different country. Embarrassing.
          He fought and old and shot Eubank (wow big surprise there!).

Dude Mitchell went 29-11 and was knocked out 9 times, he sucks. Started in the AM's in 91' and won the national title in 96', the year he went pro. Nothing official, but it looks like he had 5 fights? Not an easy search.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
            He fought and old and shot Eubank (wow big surprise there!).

Dude Mitchell went 29-11 and was knocked out 9 times, he sucks. Started in the AM's in 91' and won the national title in 96', the year he went pro. Nothing official, but it looks like he had 5 fights? Not an easy search.
            Eubank was old, not shot and could definitely still punch regardless. Calazghe went to war with him and took bombs flush on the chin, it was his chin check fight and he definitely passed, so again don't know what on Earth your talking about a glass jaw, you are pretty much on your own with that.

Boxrec warrior I see. If you can use boxrec then you should be able to see that 8 of those losses came after a comeback in his mid 30s where he hadn't fought in 4+ years. 2 of the 3 losses before that came to Bruno Girard in a close fight, and Sven Ottke in a close fight.

Again - regardless of his record, he could punch, and certainly wasn't a no name if you actually followed boxing back then. He was a decent champion with dangerous power.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
              What a load of crap. He pulled out of a Glen Johnson fight a few times. Frank Warren did a piece on him and exposed him as a ducker.
              Erm, what has Johnson got to do with Joe flying or not? The fight would always be in the UK so no flying would have taken place.

Calzaghe got injured the first time the fight could happen, and Johnson lost to Woods the other time the fight could have happened so the fight made no sense. No ducking went on.

Frank always used to spray **** about fighters who left him like a bitter ex girlfriend. So nothing new there. And anyway, Frank took back what he said a few months later because he knew he looked bitter. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                Calzaghe had a glass jaw, dropped by a wrist in the first round, even feather fisted Hopkins dropped him in the first round, noname Byron Mitchell had him out until Parris saved him. After Jones was shňt to shít sure he lost to Enzo at Cruiserweight. Calzaghe never moved weights cuz he was a chicken shít to take a real challenge. Ali lost to Leon Spinks when Ali was shot, does that meake Leon Spinks better than Ali?

Calzaghe was a cherry picking sheep shagger. He's not even dead and he's forgotten by everyone including his countrymen --- and the sheep from last week.
                Hahaha you really are a bitter little weirdo aren't you? Calzaghe had a great chin. Unlike your little drug cheat hero Jones who had a chin made of the purest glass you can get.

Comment

Calzaghe Is a genuine ATG!!!

Hatton seemed to like beating up on old guys....
                  What was his best win??

Comment

Boxrec warrior I see. If you can use boxrec then you should be able to see that 8 of those losses came after a comeback in his mid 30s where he hadn't fought in 4+ years. 2 of the 3 losses before that came to Bruno Girard in a close fight, and Sven Ottke in a close fight.

Again - regardless of his record, he could punch, and certainly wasn't a no name if you actually followed boxing back then. He was a decent champion with dangerous power.
                    I'm a boxrec warrior because I used it to look up a fighter I didn't know much about because only Calzaghe fanboi's do? Isn't that a bit extreme man? I was watching hardcore then and 168 was a dead division during Joe's reign and never heard of no Byron Mitchell, sorry. His record speaks for itself, subpar to stinky Chinatown garbage on a hot Summer day.

Mitchell was getting his shít pushed in at 4 years in, 7 years in, and after he came back he got a bigger string of losses. Sorry I didn't have that memorized to active memory. I guess I'm just a hopeless boxrec warrior. I should probably just memorize all obscure fighters so they don't call me a boxrec warrior anymore. Or maybe I can get the Joe Calzaghe Newsletter. You guys are something else man.

Yeah I saw all of that. Your mo is really questioning if I can read well? That's it, that's all you got? Man, and you can't see you're ball sniffing right now?

When you're losing to Bruno Girard you're off my radar. Never even heard of that guy, who here has heard of Bruno Girard that's not French, please stand up so we can see you.

Comment

Hatton wasn't overrated. He was a "B+ player" that got sparked both times he stepped up. But when he "stayed in his lane", he was the top of that class.

Calslappy? Talented. I still couldn't consider him an A-level. He arguably did not beat Bernard Hopkins or Robin Reid. Majority of his signature wins were against guys well past the sell date. Really, his claim to fame is Jeff Lacy.

Comment

Working...
                      X