No announcement yet.

What if Thurman decides to retire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Thurman decides to retire?

Sounds familiar? Well for one thing Thurman isn't retiring no time soon. But if he was to come out & retire right now, what would you think of him? Imagine if he was to come out of no where & say he isn't going to let the sport of boxing retire him. When the sport of boxing in particular his division is heating up with guys like
    Spence, Crawford, Jeff Horn, Garcia, Porter, Vargas, Yordenis Ugas. Would everyone be ok if he was to retire?

It would be like almost like when Floyd retired when the division was heating up with Margarito, Cotto, Mosley, Zab. The only difference is that Thurman already fought & beat two of them already & Floyd had already had success in the lower wgt classes.

This is starting to remind me of that point in time.
    Comments???

It would look bad. Like he's not good enough to defend his title.

Comment

Stranger things have happened. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see him retire in 2-3 years without fighting Spence. Perhaps a tuneup, Vargas, then Garcia and Porter re-matches followed by a quick title at 154.

I think he'll fight Spence in 2020 and hopefully he's not thinking retirement because he actually has a very good chance against Spence and there's Crawford for the winner.

Comment

He does seem injury prone as f#ck so I'd be w/e about it.

Comment

Not like Floyd situation tho. Now if Floyd retired when Manny moved up it would be. Thurman vs Spence is like Manny vs Floyd without the blood testing bs.

But yeah Thurman reputation would get trashed, and people will say he was a good fighter but Spence scared him into retirement

Comment

I actually see quite a few fighters retiring early. I suspect Canelo will retire young. After the GGG rematch, I have a difficult time believing he will want to fight Charlo and Jacobs. I can see him fighting Saunders. Outside of that, he is too big to go back down to 154 and likely not interested in 168 because there isn't any money to be made there. He is at a stage in his career where he wants high reward and low risk. Not much of that left for him.

Thurman could possibly retire in a year or two, especially if he doesn't want to fight Spence or Crawford. But, he hasn't made the sort of money that Floyd was making even ten years ago, and not the kind of money that Canelo has earned. But, he seems like a dude who doesn't live to excess, so the $2M per fight he earns may be enough to set him up for life in a year or two.

I suspect we may even see Garcia retire if he is ever forced to fight Spence or Crawford.

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
              Sounds familiar? Well for one thing Thurman isn't retiring no time soon. But if he was to come out & retire right now, what would you think of him? Imagine if he was to come out of no where & say he isn't going to let the sport of boxing retire him. When the sport of boxing in particular his division is heating up with guys like
              Spence, Crawford, Jeff Horn, Garcia, Porter, Vargas, Yordenis Ugas. Would everyone be ok if he was to retire?

It would be like almost like when Floyd retired when the division was heating up with Margarito, Cotto, Mosley, Zab. The only difference is that Thurman already fought & beat two of them already & Floyd had already had success in the lower wgt classes.

This is starting to remind me of that point in time.
              Comments???

If he did, then it would be because of legitimate health reasons. No way he'd step away on his own terms with all the money on the table. I know he's not exactly PPV calibre right now, but he still demands about the most money a television network is willing to dish out (around 1.5-2.3 million per), and the fight with Spence and Crawford are EASILY worth closer to the 2.3 million range for him.. Rematches with Porter and Garcia easily net him 1.5-1.8.. And IF Horn should either beat Crawford, OR AT LEAST remain competitive with him, no telling how much money he could make from Australian PPV + USA network money. And of course the Pac fight is always there as well.

And if he did retire today, he would be remembered as a great fighter, the top WW for a few years in a competitive division, who fought some of the top guys, but never completely cleaned out the division because of the Spence fight never taking place. Can't really ding him for Crawford, as he's a newly arrived entrant to WW.

I would be very disappointed, because I personally think Thurman is the best one at 147 - he brings it all together - the speed, movement, stamina, power, chin.

I was VERY hard on Thurman when he first debuted on HBO - I thought he was slow, easy to hit, and would be exposed before even making it to world level. How wrong I was..

Now I'm a huge Thurman fan, and I pick him to beat Spence fairly easily, and outpoint Crawford in a damn close fight (they have similar styles).
              Last edited by Cheek busting; 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

That would mean that his elbow is seriously f.cked up then

Comment

What if Keith retires and goes into **** doe? His Indian wife is the Director too. One Time MILF Productions. Anybody can get it. It only takes ONE TIME on her face series 4

Comment

on a side note - good fighter but his style is meh

Comment

Working...
                    X