Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Fighter in History -- Roy Jones Or Floyd Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
    Go look at Leonard's resume & give me ten good fighters he fought.
    The likes of Muniz, Chiaverini, Ranzany, Kayule, Shields, Lalonde were certainly good fighters. Not great.

But he did fight four absolute all-time greats in Benitez, Hearns, Duran, Hagler so I think that trumps quantity especially given the timing of those matches.

Floyd fought two great fighters - Marquez and Pacquaio. Marquez came up too far in weight and was considered a useless mismatch coming in (just moved up two weights and then moved up two more i.e they were 4 or 5 weight classes apart just 2-3 fights prior) and Pacquaio who was washed up and in your opinion a garbage fighter anyway so Floyd really didn't have a great win or fight a great fighter. That counts. A LOT.

I notice you only post in threads sucking off your celeb crush and bashing white fighters. That doesn't get boring?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      for people saying floyd is a better boxer...based on what? beating weaker competition for longer? that seems to be your argument cause when you look at their best wins....its not close. could floyd ever dominate toney or hopkins? he never even fought guys with those styles so how do we know? does he get fantasy points for not doing it? he should have lost to castillo when he was in his prime. you think a slow predictable fighter like that gets close to beating prime jones? i think you are placing entirely too much emphasis on longevity but where is the quality? boxing is not about averages. basically what you are saying is that vince carter is better than jordan cause vince played longer. stop
      This, Roy was the best I have ever seen.

Comment

If RJJ retired earlier instead of ruining his legacy I would've picked RJJ no doubt. All round fighter, hands down goes to RJJ.

But I think Floyd is the smarter and better fighter.

Comment

It’s quite close but I’d probably go with Roy. People are saying Floyd had more longevity but it wasn’t that much of a difference to put him ahead imo. Roy was still at the top at like 34/35 until the Tarver fight so it’s not like he burnt out in his mid 20’s.

I would also say Floyd’s performances were spectacular in his prime too, not as much as Roy but not that far behind. The Corralles, N’dou, Gatti fights stand out performance wise.

Comment

I think Roy’s boxing skills are underrated. You don’t get that far for that long just by being a freak athlete. Yeah he got knocked out as he got older but that’s part of the game. Loads of great fighters fought on too long and got knocked out/ beaten by guys who would normally be inferior, especially post 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
              I think Roy’s boxing skills are underrated. You don’t get that far for that long just by being a freak athlete. Yeah he got knocked out as he got older but that’s part of the game. Loads of great fighters fought on too long and got knocked out/ beaten by guys who would normally be inferior, especially post 35.
              But isn't the point that even though Floyd fought heavy punchers after 35 he was not even dropped?

Comment

Yes Roy fcked up by kept fighting taking bad losses. So overall I would pick Floyd. Prime vs Prime. Roy Jones was God-like. And Prime Floyd arguably lost to Castillo so there that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTrav View Post
                  But isn't the point that even though Floyd fought heavy punchers after 35 he was not even dropped?
                  Nah this post wasn't really comparing to Floyd, my first post was comparing Roy to Floyd.

My point is loads of greats have fought on too long, taken L's against guys who they wouldn't when they were younger but rarely do people say 'they relied on that athleticism, couldn't keep up once their athletic gifts faded' but for some reason with Roy this comes up a lot even though he didn't start taking major L's until post 35 which is fairly common for the greats who fought before him.

Yeah he was a freak athlete, but imo you have to have a very good boxing IQ/skills to execute that athleticism at world/elite level. Not saying he had amazing IQ but i think it gets slept on because of how flashy he was.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    or in other words quantity over quality...hmmm no. so you are saying floyd is greater than leonard cause leonard was only a top fighter for a couple years in reality. hmmm pretty sure leonard has 4 wins better than floyd but leonard lost to norris and camacho when he was old and floyd didn't so floyd "wins" the marathon. pretty sure Leonard wins the fighting and beating better competition portion of boxing. so did jones.

buster Douglas best win is better than Lennox Lewis best win

is buster a greater fighter than Lennox?

gtfoh.

this is a thread about floyd and Roy. not floyd and Ray leonard

does Roy have a better resume than floyd? nope
                    Last edited by bluebeam; 02-09-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Roy went through a stretch of facing some weak oppostion. Then he got knocked the **** out....multiple times. Thats counts against you.

Comment

Working...
                      X