Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Zou Shiming's Wife Alleges Boxer Owed Money, Forced To Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    "Zou was sent to a hospital in Shanghai last week following the sudden loss of vision in his left eye on a flight from Beijing last week."

" ...she said that there were broken bones found in Zou’s eye socket and doctors also suspected his optic nerve was damaged. She says her husband suffered similar injuries in 2014 - but at the time Zou needed to fight as the bout had been arranged by his agent. After that match, the doctors had advised Zou to stop fighting or risked becoming blind."

Very sad.

Kell Brook shouldn't have quit because of a second broken eye socket against Spence doe ...
    Too many so-called fans demand that fighters sacrifice their health for their entertainment. Professional fighting is for keeps. And as we’ve seen time and time again, the vast majority of these athletes don’t make nearly as much money as we think they do.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Lmao Funny. When I read the headline, my response was going to be, “So what else is new?” Lol But I was going to follow with something a friend of mine told me the day after the Lomo-Rigo fight. It’s rumored that Rigondeaux was pressured into taking the ill-advised match-up due to money problems. I haven’t brought it up before, because rumors are a dime a dozen, and I have no proof, but it doesn’t seem unlikely, does it?

In all fairness to Cuban boxers, however, it’s historically been a widespread issue among boxers in general. Fighters tend to come from poor, relatively uneducated backgrounds. But Cubans that have defected are in an even worse position. They come from a country where the very concept of handling money is foreign. If they aren’t lucky enough to link up with the right handlers, their chances of going broke are probably even higher than the average fighter.
      Cubans look like fresh NEW untainted MEAT to promoters and agents. And most are older so they don't have time to wait around. The same sht habbened to Gamboa. And GUESS who was the promoter behind that?? Both had too move up and fight much bigger men...

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
        Cubans look like fresh NEW untainted MEAT to promoters and agents. And most are older so they don't have time to wait around. The same sht habbened to Gamboa. And GUESS who was the promoter behind that?? Both had too move up and fight much bigger men...
        Gamboa is a sad story. His first promoter was a guy named Ahmet Oner (a man with a pretty bad rep), who signed Odlanier Solis (also an aborted career) at the same time. Yuri left Oner and signed with Bob Arum. It was a bad time, because Arum was more interested in pumping his Puerto Rican product, JuanMa Lopez. Gamboa, who had been hanging out with Floyd Mayweather and his boy “50 Cent,” was frustrated and naive. He listened to those guys and torpedoed his own career by illegally breaking his contract with Bob. The rest is history. Yuri was shelved for fifteen months, while his affairs were ironed out; he’s been inactive ever since; and his once electric physical abilities have eroded with age. A cautionary tale.

Comment

Gamboa is a sad story. His first promoter was a guy named Ahmet Oner (a man with a pretty bad rep), who signed Odlanier Solis (also an aborted career) at the same time. Yuri left Oner and signed with Bob Arum. It was a bad time, because Arum was more interested in pumping his Puerto Rican product, JuanMa Lopez. Gamboa, who had been hanging out with Floyd Mayweather and his boy “50 Cent,” was frustrated and naive. He listened to those guys and torpedoed his own career by illegally breaking his contract with Bob. The rest is history. Yuri was shelved for fifteen months, while his affairs were ironed out; he’s been inactive ever since; and his once electric physical abilities have eroded with age. A cautionary tale.
          Great Post

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
            Sounds like what happenes to Cuban boxers ALL the time.

Very sad! Thats why I LOVE seeing fighters handle their own careers and get away from shady promotors and agents.

For every Floyd, Oscar, Mikey, their is a Zou, Rig., Gamboa type boxer that fights well past their age and or worse with known health issues.

Hope he retires and doesnt lose that eye or worse.
            For every Floyd, Oscar, Mikey, there are 10,000 Zou, Rig., Gamboa type boxers that fights well past their age and or worse with known health issues

there. fixed it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              For every Floyd, Oscar, Mikey, there are 10,000 Zou, Rig., Gamboa type boxers that fights well past their age and or worse with known health issues

there. fixed it for you.
              You are CORRECT! And that was probably on the VERY low side.

What I can't figure out is why boxers with Money and clearly can do other things still box??? Like Roy Jones??? I understand why Mosley does it though lol. His Ex took him to the CLEANERS.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

there. fixed it for you.
                Probably not far from the truth. Boxing sucks as a career path. So few see real money. And the sacrifices and risks are up there. Just yesterday I read that Major League Baseball salaries topped an average of 4 million dollars per year for the first time. Presently, the MLB minimum is north of 400k. Not bad for a bench warmer.

Comment

Fighters tend to come from poor, relatively uneducated backgrounds.
                  It's not right that the rich and educated take advantage of the poor.

All that money and knowledge for what? Just so that you can prey on hard working people who are simply trying to make a better life for themselves and their families?

It's shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    It's not right that the rich and educated take advantage of the poor.

All that money and knowledge for what? Just so that you can prey on hard working people who are simply trying to make a better life for themselves and their families?

It's shameful.

Life ain’t fair, man. Most of the poor that raise their station in life wind up doing what they complained was done to them, and the cycle continues. Many of the rich donate and give back, yet most of the poor don’t take a step upwards. It is what it is. No sense worrying about it. People need to take responsibility for themselves and fight for their share.

But back to boxing. Very few people are willing to fight for a living, except those that have no other option. If there were no poor or uneducated men boxing would die. Believe that.

Comment

Oh...the way that title was worded...man, does this guy owe the Chinese Triads? Somebody owe HIM. Oh, okay .

Comment

Working...
                      X