Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko the best boxing bout of 2017?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko the best boxing bout of 2017?

In terms of effort, entertainment, competitiveness, skills displayed and in overall quality?
    Yes
    78.13%
    No (Specify)
    21.88%

It wasn't the best fight of the year to me. Both boxers only averaged about 20 to 30 punches at most each per round. I liked the Hurd vs Trout fight much better. Those two fought their asses off and threw many times more punches per round than AJ and Wlad did.

Comment

I would go with Saul Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin. That was a fair fight, just the result ruined it. A close decision victory for GGG and an immediate rematch was what it needed. Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward II would be second in my opinion. Then Roman Gonzalez vs. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai II third place.

Comment

Probably

Salido-Roman and Estrada-Cuadras were also great

Comment

Yes. It seems like The Racist/Klichko was the fight of the year. Very competitive and dramatic even though I don't like heavyweights

Comment

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
            I would go with Saul Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin. That was a fair fight, just the result ruined it. A close decision victory for GGG and an immediate rematch was what it needed. Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward II would be second in my opinion. Then Roman Gonzalez vs. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai II third place.
            Canelo v GG was a good dust up but the result leaves you with a sour taste. It completely ruined it for me.. No one like a bout to end in a draw or controversial ending, same with fights ending because of a fighter quitting. I was sure Rigo v Loma would be a spectacle but it wasn’t. And Rigo quitting made it a shamble. Ward vs Kovalev was stopped when it shouldn’t have so that’s not close.. Rungvisai vs Chocolatioto is my second. AJ vs Vlad was IMO the best fight of the year by far.
            Last edited by NahMean; 12-14-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

It will likely win because of the sways in momentum. Joshua dropped Klitschko and was on the verge of a stoppage. Then Klitschko dropped Joshua and was on the verge of a stoppage. Then Joshua dropped and stopped Klitschko.

But it didn't have sustained levels of entertainment like fights in the lower weight classes, most recently Roman-Salido.

Comment

I think so. A quality heavyweight fight like that is always on a knife edge. That fight reminded me of why heavyweight has been the flagship division historically. That fight turned on its head three times. Even at the end people felt Wlad could have seen out the storm and have a last hurrah.

Shame it didn't happen again, tbh.

Del Boy and Whyte was another classic. I love the heavies though. Made a nice change this year to see it back in the spotlight after years of 10 stone 7 men being the new kings of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by NahMean View Post
                  Canelo v GG was a good dust up but the result leaves you with a sour taste. It completely ruined it for me.. No one like a bout to end in a draw or controversial ending, same with fights ending because of a fighter quitting. I was sure Rigo v Loma would be a spectacle but it wasn’t. And Rigo quitting made it a shamble. Ward vs Kovalev was stopped when it shouldn’t have so that’s not close.. Rungvisai vs Chocolatioto is my second. AJ vs Vlad was IMO the best fight of the year by far.
                  I understand what you're saying, it was a great spectacle. I just felt getting dethroned by Tyson Fury took the edge off Wlad. The three I listed were all for divisional supremacy.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    It wasn't the best fight of the year to me. Both boxers only averaged about 20 to 30 punches at most each per round. I liked the Hurd vs Trout fight much better. Those two fought their asses off and threw many times more punches per round than AJ and Wlad did.
                    If that's what you really think, then perhaps heavyweight boxing isn't for you. You would rarely, if ever find big heavyweights weighing above 230 pounds throwing anywhere near as many punches as the boxers in the lower weight divisions do on average.

For one, they don't need to throw as many punches because each punch they land inflicts far greater damage than each punch that sub-heavyweights land on each other. Thus, before they even get the chance to throw as many punches as sub-heavyweights do, one is most likely to knock the other out or vice versa before as many punches can be thrown. In the heavyweight division, only a few punches are needed to badly hurt an opponent. In lower weight divisions, more punches are usually needed to hurt opponents.

Secondly, each punch that big heavyweights weighing above 230 pounds throw will consume more of their energy than if sub-heavyweights were to throw the same type of punches. Thus, it's reasonable to expect fewer punches.

Heavyweight boxing is different from any other weight divisions and if you don't like the specific characteristics which can only be found in the heavyweight division as much, then perhaps the lower weight divisions are more suitable for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X