No announcement yet.

What was Roy Jones, Jr.'s Best Win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    James Toney started out at middleweight and fought Ruiz at the age of 36 and after seventy fights and like Jones, beat him with ease.

Ruiz was an easy mark.

Novelty win.
    Ruiz wasn't an easy guy to beat. Otherwise he wouldn't have been anywhere near to of being a top 10 HW.

Evander still had some gas in the tank when he fought him, yet he found him tough to beat.

Ruiz was horrible to watch. He had an ugly style. But he was tough. And apart from Tua, decent HW's couldn't just walk over him.

Both Roy and Toney had impressive wins over him.

If you don't think they were impressive, then what's your criteria?

If you'd have said you didn't think Roy's win was great, I'd never have responded. But to say it wasn't impressive is just ridiculous.

A former JMW easily beating a top any top 20 HW with ease at 34, simply has to be impressive. It can't not be.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
      Ruiz wasn't an easy guy to beat. Otherwise he wouldn't have been anywhere near to of being a top 10 HW.

Evander still had some gas in the tank when he fought him, yet he found him tough to beat.

Ruiz was horrible to watch. He had an ugly style. But he was tough. And apart from Tua, decent HW's couldn't just walk over him.

Both Roy and Toney had impressive wins over him.

If you don't think they were impressive, then what's your criteria?

If you'd have said you didn't think Roy's win was great, I'd never have responded. But to say it wasn't impressive is just ridiculous.

A former JMW easily beating a top any top 20 HW with ease at 34, simply has to be impressive. It can't not be.
      Had he gone after Chris Byrd or any other top heavy at the time, it would have been impressive.

Beating Ruiz just never has been impressive.

Comment

Best opponent = James Toney
        Best performance = Reggie Johnson

I love his flawless and outstanding performance against Johnson and this is still one of my favorite knockdowns:

The speed is incredible

Comment

Had he gone after Chris Byrd or any other top heavy at the time, it would have been impressive.

Beating Ruiz just never has been impressive.
          It was impressive how he beat him with absolute ease.

If you can't see that, then you're completely ignorant.

How many LHW's of Roy's era or today, would have beaten Ruiz as easy as what he did?

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post

I love his flawless and outstanding performance against Johnson and this is still one of my favorite knockdowns:

The speed is incredible

That was a great performance.

I think the destruction of Griffin tops it though. Montell was awkward and underrated. To knock him out in a round with a lead uppercut was absolutely sensational.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post

The speed is incredible

Blinding speed for sure...very nice!

Comment

It was impressive how he beat him with absolute ease.

If you can't see that, then you're completely ignorant.

How many LHW's of Roy's era or today, would have beaten Ruiz as easy as what he did?
                James Toney beat with him ease as well.

Ruiz was never a challenge.

Most light heavyweights don't move up to heavyweight.

It's common though, for a big name to try and move up for bigger money fights.

Lesser name fighters rarely do that.

Roy had the name to give to a novelty fight.

Comment

James Toney beat with him ease as well.

Ruiz was never a challenge.

Most light heavyweights don't move up to heavyweight.

It's common though, for a big name to try and move up for bigger money fights.

Lesser name fighters rarely do that.

Roy had the name to give to a novelty fight.
                  Of course he was a challenge.

You're damn right, most LHW's don't move up to face HW's. And for good reason.

It's pointless taking this any further.

If Roy's win didn't impress you at all, then you must be very hard to please.

We'll leave it there.

Comment

That was a great performance.

I think the destruction of Griffin tops it though. Montell was awkward and underrated. To knock him out in a round with a lead uppercut was absolutely sensational.
                    The man who beat up Griffin like he stole something was NOT Roy Jones jr......that was his alter ego "RJ".

Even though Roy was the favorite coming in nobody expected him to blast Griffin out like that, so yeah that performance could very well be his best. The way he was toying with Richard Hall is another one of my favorites.

Comment

Hopkins is the best win, because he is the best fighter Jones beat.

But the dominance of Toney, obviously a HOF'er as well, I can see why most people go with that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X