Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Ward vs Sergey Kovalev - Objective analysis - both evenly matched in both bouts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Ward vs Sergey Kovalev - Objective analysis - both evenly matched in both bouts

As someone who has watched Andre Ward vs Sergey Kovalev's first bout and rematch multiple times without any bias, without being a fan of either boxer, whilst being totally neutral. Can we objectively all agree that both Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev were evenly matched by stalemating each other without either showing any real superiority over the other when it came to a clean boxing contest for most parts of the 2 bouts?

Irrational and nonobjective fans of either boxer are going to exaggerate the superiority of their boxer over the other boxer. However, from a neutral perspective, there wasn't any superiority shown by either boxer over the other.

I had the first bout a draw excluding the knockdown. Including the knockdown, I had Sergey Kovalev winning by a small margin.

I had the second bout also near dead even at the time of the stoppage with Kovalev winning only one or two rounds more but Ward adjusting and both ending up neutralizing each other, to the point where the last 2 or 3 rounds before the stoppage were even in my scorecard.

However, if we are going to be objective, let's not pretend that the stoppage came from illegal moves which Andre Ward used and which the referee allowed. Excluding without those illegal moves, Andre Ward was dead even with Kovalev and neither showed to be better than the other. So it would've led to another close decision which most likely would've been a draw. What caused Andre Ward to win were illegal punches which resulted in the stoppage victory.

My point is, neither showed any superiority over the other when it came to a clean boxing contest, excluding illegal moves. In other words, we never truly found out who the better boxer was (because neither was better than the other). Thus, it's best to avoid claims about one being better than the other.

Fresh Andre Ward vs Fresh Sergey Kovalev, you would pick Kovalev. But if the fight goes down the stretch you would pick Ward.

Comment

No...after Ward got knocked down, it was all downhill for Kovalev...it became more and more apparent that Ward was better than him.

In retrospect, that was the worst thing Kovalev could have done...knocking Ward down and not finishing him...he "awakened The Dragon" as we say, and the rest is History...

Ward adapted immediately after that KD and beat Kovalev fair and square twice in a row...

That's all there is to it...and all the crying and lying in the world won't change it.

Ward by UD and TKO...FOREVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary Hater View Post
        No...after Ward got knocked down, it was all downhill for Kovalev...it became more and more apparent that Ward was better than him.

In retrospect, that was the worst thing Kovalev could have done...knocking Ward down and not finishing him...he "awakened The Dragon" as we say, and the rest is History...

Ward adapted immediately after that KD and beat Kovalev fair and square twice in a row...

That's all there is to it...and all the crying and lying in the world won't change it.

In no round did Andre Ward absolutely dominate or proved superior to Sergey Kovalev. Absolutely none in the 20 rounds that they competed in. So how exactly did Ward prove he was superior?

This isn't about the official decision. Official decisions can be wrong. As has been the case many times in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
          In no round did Andre Ward absolutely dominate or proved superior to Sergey Kovalev. Absolutely none in the 20 rounds that they competed in. So how exactly did Ward prove he was superior?

This isn't about the official decision. Official decisions can be wrong. As has been the case many times in history.
          Not even the final round where Ward beat the **** out of him, denied his clinches, and stopped him?...ok...lol

Ward adapted and overcame, refused to lose...Kovalev didn't want any more of Ward early in the rematch and eventually QUIT...they are not evenly matched whatsoever.

Ward was obviously the better AND greater fighter...that shouldn't bother you if you are as neutral and unbiased as you claim to be...where are you from, son?

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post

Ward showed he was superior after the knockdown cuz after the knockdown he got up & bullied kovalev & kovalev folded. The outcome is in the video & I suggest you watch again & again with a pen & paper in slow motion to count the punches missed & landed by both fighters. Don't forget that body punches count too!

Comment

You sir are 100% correct!

Comment

Ward showed he was superior after the knockdown cuz after the knockdown he got up & bullied kovalev & kovalev folded.
                Other than in the last round of their 2nd bout. How exactly did Ward bully Kovalev in any another round?

The outcome is in the video & I suggest you watch again & again with a pen & paper in slow motion to count the punches missed & landed by both fighters. Don't forget that body punches count too!
                What video?

Comment

?
                  Not even the final round where Ward beat the **** out of him, denied his clinches, and stopped him?...ok...lol
                  Fair enough! I take my statement back. I agree that Andre Ward did dominate Kovalev, only in that particular round. Similar to how Kovalev dominated Ward in the 1st and 2nd round of their first bout.

However, Kovalev did better in his best round (scored a knockdown) than Ward did in his best round (couldn't even score a knockdown and won via a low blow stoppage = illegal move).

Ward adapted and overcame, refused to lose
                  Yet, the bout was still in a neutral / stalemate condition between both.

Kovalev didn't want any more of Ward early in the rematch and eventually QUIT
                  How exactly did Kovalev quit? Did he leave the ring? Did he drop to the ground and allow the referee to count to 10? No! Therefore, your claim of Kovalev quitting is utter speculation unless you can prove how such was the case.

Ward was obviously the better AND greater fighter
                  There isn't any empirical evidence that such is the case by their performances in every round (other than the aforementioned 2 or 3 rounds).

.where are you from, son?
                  My personal details are irrelevant to the topic being discussed!

Comment

Overall, I agree with this thread. Kovalev dominated the first few rounds of the 1st fight with the right strategy. Ward really dominated round 7 of the 2nd fight. I don't excuse his lowblows, but that round was a masterpiece. Kovalev looked clumsy and completely outclassed.

The rest of the fight was very close. If they theoretically fought a 3rd fight next year, and both came in tip top shape, I would have no idea who I would go with.

You're gonna get a lot of Ward trolls or still bitter Kov fans. Waste of breath to argue w them.

Comment

Working...
                    X