Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Jullian Williams deserve the nod over Ishe Smith?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jullian Williams deserve the nod over Ishe Smith?

How did you score it?

Williams won that fight. Although it was one of the most impressive efforts by Ishe in a long time, it wasn't enough to best what J-Rock did.

7 rounds to 3 for Williams

Comment

I haven't seen the fight but boxing scene scored it a draw for whatever that is worth. Smith and Williams are not champion level fighters. Trout, Hurd or Lara beat them easily.

Comment

6-4 for J Rock. Could have gone the other way.

Comment

Williams won but his body language could certainly cause some to score it for Smith. Williams looked so fragile every time he got hit. His face bewildered. He had the look of a guy who was getting out-powered and overwhelmed, even though the majority of quality punches were thrown by him and I felt he won.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Williams won but his body language could certainly cause some to score it for Smith. Williams looked so fragile every time he got hit. His face bewildered. He had the look of a guy who was getting out-powered and overwhelmed, even though the majority of quality punches were thrown by him and I felt he won.
            J Rock getting hurt by Smith was bad... He'll get knocked out again in the future i think. I think even a fight with Gallimore could be dangerous for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              J Rock getting hurt by Smith was bad... He'll get knocked out again in the future i think. I think even a fight with Gallimore could be dangerous for him.
              Yea, the fight previous to this, he was looking smart, chin-down, watching the punches come in and slipping them. Smith isn't trash or anything so I don't blame Williams for getting hit by him and hit hard. But, as you said, what we saw doesn't bode well for his future. There's a lot of sharks in that water right now and a guy needs a chin in that division.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                Good post, I agree.

I also think the commentators swayed public opinion a bit as the seemed unable to see which of Smiths punches were getting through and which Williams was slipping or blocking.

At one point at the end of the 8/9th round Smith went in with a combo and the commentator (not Trout the other guy) said each punch landed "On. The. Button"

Then they showed a replay and all were slipped or blocked except for two low blows which landed flush. I felt there was quite a lot of that throughout the fight

That said, Williams D was inconsistent and he definitely allowed some to get through, and like you say he looked like a rabbit in headlights when he got clipped.

Comment

Anyone else think that Williams needs to move to MW?

I thought he looked pretty tired by the 4th round, and a commentator in one of his previous fights said he weighed in 175 on the scales fight night. Thats a hell of a cut for a pretty lean guy

Thats up to where the likes of Charlo and Canelo were before they moved up. I also think he looked dry at the weigh in for this fight and the Charlo fight. He has said he struggles with the weight in the past. He doesnt look that big but sometimes looks are deceptive.

Maybe his punch resistance may improve, maybe not. But to me he has all the hallmarks of drained fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    Good post, I agree.

I also think the commentators swayed public opinion a bit as the seemed unable to see which of Smiths punches were getting through and which Williams was slipping or blocking.

At one point at the end of the 8/9th round Smith went in with a combo and the commentator (not Trout the other guy) said each punch landed "On. The. Button"

Then they showed a replay and all were slipped or blocked except for two low blows which landed flush. I felt there was quite a lot of that throughout the fight

That said, Williams D was inconsistent and he definitely allowed some to get through, and like you say he looked like a rabbit in headlights when he got clipped.
                    I definitely noticed that. In fact, I'm noticing it in a lot of broadcasts. I don't know if it's happening more, or if my boxing eye is getting sharper.

Comment

Working...
                    X