No announcement yet.

Canelo's Future as a Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo's Future as a Middleweight

To be frank, I think Canelo's stamina will really screw him over at 160. He started off strong against GGG, but his activity took a major hit going into the middle rounds. It got so bad, that the judges had to save him. He has the size of a middleweight, but the other top level middleweights don't gas out like Canelo does. This isn't the first time this has happened, either. Canelo was putting in work on Austin Trout, but slowed himself down to the point that Trout wound up walking him down in the late rounds. If it weren't for the knockdown, the judges might've had to rob him blind. GGG was walking Canelo down too, but for much longer than Trout did. Against GGG, Canelo gave away rounds, because he could only manage to fight hard for like a minute, before going back to getting tagged on the ropes. Canelo was even slouched on his stool, during one of the breaks. I don't think he's gonna be able to deal with guys like Saunders, Jacobs, and Charlo. Hell, if he gasses out against even Lemieux, things could get ugly. If he doesn't do something about his conditioning, even the judges won't be able to help him. Tell me what you guys think, below.

Predictions for potential Canelo matchups

Daniel Jacobs, Demetrius Andrade and Jermall Charlo: I was initially going to do separate sections for each of them, but they all have many of the same advantages over Canelo. All three of them are around 6ft tall, have reaches ranging from 73-74in long, have knockout power, and are technically sound boxers. Canelo's also technically sound, but he's 5'9, and his reach is 70.5in long. If I had to list them from most to least powerful, It'd go like this: Jacobs, Charlo, then Andrade. Canelo's gonna have to work his way past their jabs, land effective punches on the inside, and move out before getting countered. 65-35 Jacobs. 60-40 Charlo. Canelo 50/Andrade 50.

Billy Joe Saunders: Saunders is a slick boxer, but according to his match against Monroe Jr, may get a bit wild with his punches. His reach is longer than Canelo's by an inch, and he's 2 inches taller than him too. I think this would be similar to Canelo vs Lara. Canelo, being the shorter man overall, would probably be the one pressing the fight. Saunders would probably be looking to counter Canelo coming in. Saunders looked pretty bad against the guy he fought before Monroe Jr, and hasn't been very active either, so I think Canelo has the edge. 55-45 Canelo.

David Lemieux: Lemieux's an inch taller than Canelo, and his reach is a 1/2 inch shorter. Lemieux's a pretty basic boxer. He pretty much just applies pressure until he knocks his opponent out, or vise-versa. GGG and Lemieux are similar in terms of power, but GGG couldn't stagger Canelo, so I doubt Lemieux would either. Lemieux has a solid chin, so I don't think he'd be afraid of Canelo's power. I think this match would go similarly to Canelo vs GGG, except Lemieux would probably take many more hits than the latter did. 60-40 Canelo.

GGG (rematch): GGG chased Canelo onto the ropes, and tagged him a bunch of times. Canelo did take the early rounds pretty easily, but he gassed out. He also did land some clean shots throughout the fight, but they were mostly few and far between. If Canelo doesn't gas out so early, he has a good chance at beating GGG by decision. However, stamina has been Canelo's issue for a while, so I don't think it's gonna be improved. I see a rematch going similar to how their actual fight went. 60-40 GGG.
    Last edited by Slicc; 11-24-2017, 06:49 AM.

THIS is a beautiful assessment. I knew Lil’G couldn’t beat or hurt a guy not intended as a Middleweight. I mean look at him, being smaller than Lil’G, he should be fighting at Cruiser since he’s already a LHW.

Lil’gs Cryptonite is guys that gas out, murk his face, gets paid by Oscar, murks his compubox. Black-Nelo 2.0 is here to stay.

Comment

The thing is he doesn't have the size nor pop of a mw....coupled with stamina issues he's food out here, don't be surprised if canelo stays at MW he starts looking like broner out here

Comment

Originally posted by sbbigmike View Post
        The thing is he doesn't have the size nor pop of a mw....coupled with stamina issues he's food out here, don't be surprised if canelo stays at MW he starts looking like broner out here
        Broner has never been stopped, even by Welters. He staggered Chino a couple times in the late rounds...dropped Porter with a flying left hook.

Alvarez must have some good fights lined up!

Comment

Canelo will be fine if he continues

Comment

Black-nelo? wow...

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd's Mask View Post
              Broner has never been stopped, even by Welters. He staggered Chino a couple times in the late rounds...dropped Porter with a flying left hook.

Alvarez must have some good fights lined up!
              This in contrary to broner who has weird fight changing power canelo doesn't have that, at MW he hit Chavez and GGG that should have slept both numerous times, he's just throwing duds out there

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
                Canelo will be fine if he continues
                He already got systematically schooled easily by GGG...

You think canelo fair well vs giants in Jacobs n charlo at MW

Things get worse from here with canelo, his match making has to be a1 from here....

Comment

This in contrary to broner who has weird fight changing power canelo doesn't have that, at MW he hit Chavez and GGG that should have slept both numerous times, he's just throwing duds out there
                  yeah different fight ''changing power''

if you knew anything about boxing, a correct strike will do damage, hence a leaping hook...

Broner had amazing ''fight changing'' power against Malignaggi!! Cause Malignaggi was bigger in ratio than Chavez Jr..

Comment

He already got systematically schooled easily by GGG...

You think canelo fair well vs giants in Jacobs n charlo at MW

Things get worse from here with canelo, his match making has to be a1 from here....
                    Seeing how Trout fought Giants in Charlo or Hurd....yeah jussss maybe Nelo could fight in the ring as usual ...

Comment

Working...
                    X