Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr's weakness is the extended lead hand - stiff arm stance / style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He would have thrown the lead left hook like he did vs corrales

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
      They may have had a longer 'reach' than Floyd Mayweather Jr. However, I doubt either of those mentioned boxers actually had longer arm length than Mayweather.
      If longer arms was all you needed to beat Mayweather then he wouldn't be considered one of the best of the era.
      Anyway, by 'out-boxed', I meant Mayweather lost the rounds in which he got out-boxed by Connor McGregor in. I had Mayweather behind in the scorecards coming to the 4th round. Considering it was McGregor's debut, then that was a very impressive feat and he would've won had the bout been a 4 round contest since even Mayweather's debut bout was a 4 round contest. I'm being objective and judging both Mayweather and McGregor by the same standards which applied in their debut boxing bout. The match was decided by McGregor's lack of stamina mainly and not his boxing style.
      I don't disagree that he lost the early rounds but in the context of the whole fight, it was irrelevant. I don't get why anyone would be impressed that the bigger Conor McGregor didn't get KO'd in 2 seconds and actually landed some punches on a retired Mayweather who had no regards for his boxing skills or punching power and didn't use his proven defensive abilities
      I wanted to share my ideas because this is a pubic boxing forum. This idea is open for debate and I am in no way insinuating that my idea is the undisputed truth here. If you disagree, I respect that but others are free to form their own conclusion from what I wrote in this thread.
      Nothing is wrong with sharing your ideas but come on man! Not every idea is a good idea.
      Another point I'd add is that none of those boxers you've mentioned box using the style that McGregor uses in terms of the stance he takes (extended lead hand). So again, Mayweather is feat-less against elite opposition using that style so nobody can infer with any degree of certainty how he would perform against such boxers.
      I can give you 50 reasons why I think he would have a damn good chance to beat such a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
        If longer arms was all you needed to beat Mayweather then he wouldn't be considered one of the best of the era.

I don't disagree that he lost the early rounds but in the context of the whole fight, it was irrelevant. I don't get why anyone would be impressed that the bigger Conor McGregor didn't get KO'd in 2 seconds and actually landed some punches on a retired Mayweather who had no regards for his boxing skills or punching power and didn't use his proven defensive abilities

Nothing is wrong with sharing your ideas but come on man! Not every idea is a good idea.
        I can give you 50 reasons why I think he would have a damn good chance to beat such a boxer.

I didn't claim that longer arms are all that was needed. Rather, it was a combination of having longer arms + using the style that Connor McGregor / Wladimir Klitschko use + being an elite boxer. Being the best of an era (which I agree with by the way) doesn't make Floyd Mayweather Jr immune to having bad stylistic match up problems.

Good that we can agree with the fact that McGregor won the early rounds. I understand that it was irrelevant by the context of the entire bout if we're just focusing on the outcome. However, if we focus on stylistic match up between the two in terms of the advantages and disadvantages which both boxer's styles pose, then it surely does have a lot of relevance. That was my point! In the early rounds, when stamina wasn't a factor, McGregor's style gave Mayweather many problems.

The thing that was impressive about McGregor was the fact that it was his debut bout against the best boxer of his generation and how he performed in that bout. Even though Mayweather may have been 41 years of age and may have been the smaller sized boxer. It was Connor McGregor's debut boxing bout. So Mayweather's disadvantages are neutralized by Connor McGregor's own disadvantages.

I personally think the idea behind this thread is good because it is debatable. That's the whole point of having discussions.

If you think Mayweather can beat the type of boxer I proposed, then you're just as entitled to that opinion as I am to mine. However, if you are able to provide good enough arguments, then I can learn something and perhaps change my view.

Comment

OP....

mcbeggar was 29 and active

http://www.espn.com/mma/fighter/stat...conor-mcgregor

may was 40 and retired

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/352

when will people learn....had it been a 4 rd fight, may would have fought him differently.
          may strung it out longer than he could have.

im curious to see mcbeggar when hes 40

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
            OP....

mcbeggar was 29 and active

http://www.espn.com/mma/fighter/stat...conor-mcgregor

may was 40 and retired

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/352

when will people learn....had it been a 4 rd fight, may would have fought him differently.
            may strung it out longer than he could have.

im curious to see mcbeggar when hes 40

McGregor had 0 fights and was making his professional boxing debut when he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr (arguably the best boxer of his era).

Who exactly did Mayweather fight in his debut and how many rounds was his debut match? The answer is: Mayweather fought a 4 round match in his debut and it was against an unknown bum with only one win his record whilst losing every other fight he was involved in.

Mayweather may have been 40 years old. However, Connor McGregor didn't have a single boxing match prior to fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. So who do you think was at a bigger disadvantage? A 40 year old ATG boxer who only retired for 2 years or the boxer who is making his debut at the age of 29 without any previous professional boxing experience?

Perhaps Mayweather could've fought differently and not lose those early rounds like he did against McGregor if it was a 4 round match. However, he didn't and we never saw Floyd Mayweather Jr boxing against any opponent using the style which Connor McGregor used against him or the style which Wladimir Klitschko or Lennox Lewis use where they have their lead hand extended / semi extended nearly 100% of the time used for pawing and stiff arming. So Mayweather hasn't proven that he can deal with such a style according to his past bouts by virtue of him never boxing against an opponent using that style.

Comment

McGregor had 0 fights and was making his professional boxing debut when he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr (arguably the best boxer of his era).

Who exactly did Mayweather fight in his debut and how many rounds was his debut match? The answer is: Mayweather fought a 4 round match in his debut and it was against an unknown bum with only one win his record whilst losing every other fight he was involved in.

Mayweather may have been 40 years old. However, Connor McGregor didn't have a single boxing match prior to fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. So who do you think was at a bigger disadvantage? A 40 year old ATG boxer who only retired for 2 years or the boxer who is making his debut at the age of 29 without any previous professional boxing experience?

Perhaps Mayweather could've fought differently and not lose those early rounds like he did against McGregor if it was a 4 round match. However, he didn't and we never saw Floyd Mayweather Jr boxing against any opponent using the style which Connor McGregor used against him or the style which Wladimir Klitschko or Lennox Lewis use where they have their lead hand extended / semi extended nearly 100% of the time used for pawing and stiff arming. So Mayweather hasn't proven that he can deal with such a style according to his past bouts by virtue of him never boxing against an opponent using that style.
              whats mma/ufc, board games

may fought another novice in his debut. again, mcbeggar wasnt a FIGHTING novice. just the 1st time he wasnt allowed to kick. mcbeggar was more of a fighter when he fought may than may was when he himself was in his 1st pro fight.

people love to harp about 0-0;0 being a boxing neophyte. dude, mcbeggar FIGHTS FOR A LIVING !!!! i sent you his fighting resume

we will never know how may would have handled mcbeggar in a 4 rd fight. we can only speculate going off of what we know about may.

we can say that 40 year old yet active may ends him sooner (if mcbeggar wanted to fight an active may in the 1st place !!!!)

Comment

whats mma/ufc, board games

may fought another novice in his debut. again, mcbeggar wasnt a FIGHTING novice. just the 1st time he wasnt allowed to kick. mcbeggar was more of a fighter when he fought may than may was when he himself was in his 1st pro fight.

people love to harp about 0-0;0 being a boxing neophyte. dude, mcbeggar FIGHTS FOR A LIVING !!!! i sent you his fighting resume

we will never know how may would have handled mcbeggar in a 4 rd fight. we can only speculate going off of what we know about may.

we can say that 40 year old yet active may ends him sooner (if mcbeggar wanted to fight an active may in the 1st place !!!!)

MMA / UFC aren't boxing. Connor McGregor had 0 professional boxing bouts or even amateur bouts before he boxed against Floyd Mayweather Jr. On the other hand, Floyd Mayweather Jr actually had amateur boxing experience (which prepares one more for professional boxing than MMA does) when he had his professional boxing debut against a bum named Roberto Apodaca. So Connor McGregor was more of a novice in his debut boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr than Floyd Mayweather Jr was in his debut boxing match against Roberto Apodaca.

Yes, we won't know with any degree of certainty how Floyd Mayweather Jr would've fought against Connor McGregor in a 4 round boxing bout or even against an elite opponent who used the same style as McGregor / Wladimir Klitschko / Lennox Lewis when he himself was in his prime because he never fought against such opponents. However, the fact that it was Mayweather's first time boxing against an opponent using that style and he struggled indicates that it's more likely he would struggle against this style than not, even if he was younger and was more active.

Also, I could likewise argue in favor of McGregor that if he had more boxing matches and experience, he could've gave even more problems to an even active Floyd Mayweather Jr too.

Comment

MMA / UFC aren't boxing. Connor McGregor had 0 professional boxing bouts or even amateur bouts before he boxed against Floyd Mayweather Jr. On the other hand, Floyd Mayweather Jr actually had amateur boxing experience (which prepares one more for professional boxing than MMA does) when he had his professional boxing debut against a bum named Roberto Apodaca. So Connor McGregor was more of a novice in his debut boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr than Floyd Mayweather Jr was in his debut boxing match against Roberto Apodaca.

Yes, we won't know with any degree of certainty how Floyd Mayweather Jr would've fought against Connor McGregor in a 4 round boxing bout or even against an elite opponent who used the same style as McGregor / Wladimir Klitschko / Lennox Lewis when he himself was in his prime because he never fought against such opponents. However, the fact that it was Mayweather's first time boxing against an opponent using that style and he struggled indicates that it's more likely he would struggle against this style than not, even if he was younger and was more active.

Also, I could likewise argue in favor of McGregor that if he had more boxing matches and experience, he could've gave even more problems to an even active Floyd Mayweather Jr too.
                  semantics = lame excuse

mcbeggars 1st ''proper'' fight, NOT his 1st. dude wasnt some accountant with his bucket list in hand yapping in mays ear.

sparring/amateurs/medals mean shlt

if mcbeggar had more boxing matches, hed be a boxer. a poor mans maidana, imho.

Comment

semantics = lame excuse

mcbeggars 1st ''proper'' fight, NOT his 1st. dude wasnt some accountant with his bucket list in hand yapping in mays ear.

sparring/amateurs/medals mean shlt

if mcbeggar had more boxing matches, hed be a boxer. a poor mans maidana, imho.
                    What semantics and what excuse? All I've stated are FACTS! It's a fact that it was McGregor's debut bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. It's a fact that Floyd Mayweather Jr fought a bum in a 4 round contest during his own debut bout.

It doesn't matter if he wasn't an accountant. He wasn't a pro boxer at all, before he boxed against Floyd Mayweather jr. Whilst Floyd Mayweather Jr had amateur boxing experience prior to his professional boxing debut bout.

According to you, amateur boxing doesn't 'mean ****' but MMA / UFC experience does? Are you logically starved? So are you seriously implying that MMA / UFC prepares one for boxing more than amateur boxing does?

Also, what does 1st 'proper fight' even supposed to mean? What does a 'fight' even supposed to mean. Both MMA and boxing are sports and they are intrinsically different from each other. Ergo, McGregor's MMA experience means very little in relation to his boxing debut bout. It was definitely McGregor's 1st boxing bout.

You can speculate all you want about what would've happened had McGregor had more bouts. Maybe he would've been a Maidana or maybe he would've been greater than Mayweather. Who knows? Fact is, Mayweather faced McGregor who was debuting in a 12 round contest and lost the early rounds. Therefore, had that been a 4 round contest as it correctly could've been from McGregor's perspective since even a debuting Mayweather also had a 4 round bout himself, then McGregor would've clearly won. Perhaps Mayweather could've made adjustments and boxed differently if that was the case. However, Mayweather has no feats to suggest he can deal with an opponent using the style that McGregor used, based on his career and the main reason why he even defeated McGregor was because McGregor became tired due to lacking the conditioning for boxing.
                    Last edited by Mr Objecitivity; 11-18-2017, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Whoever says Mayweather was dominated for the first 4 needs to actually watch some 12 rounder fights rather than just youtube or instagram boxing highlights.
                      Like many friends here, watching the fight I also saw what 2 years lay off and 41 Floyd was thinking:
                      "It's a 12 rounder, I'm Money Mayweather, I want KO; this Connor guy has huge weight, height and reach advantage but bad conditioning compared to me. So I'm gonna tire him out to pave the way for KO."
                      If you watch the fight with this notion you'll realize Floyd first tested his power and roughed him and then constantly shot to the body with straight right to drain his breath, to break him down. And it paid off. You saw Floyd started to land big from the 4th on.
                      He could box this guy easily had he not wanted a KO, he sacrificed defence for offence and took some shots naturally. Connor is shiddy, only reason he stood there was his size, no greatness or skill. After 10 years Floyd got a KO, with little power left in him.
                      Last edited by DinoCop; 11-18-2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X