Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s resume is outstanding.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
    Why don't you add Gennady Golovkin to the list? Just to be more of a tit than you already are, like.
    Why would I do that? That is not in the realm of possibility that's just asking for people that want to see Floyd lose. But this names that I mentioned are of people that Floyd should have fought, but instead worked his way aorund Robert Guerrero, Victor Ortiz, and featherweight Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      Why would I do that? That is not in the realm of possibility that's just asking for people that want to see Floyd lose. But this names that I mentioned are of people that Floyd should have fought, but instead worked his way aorund Robert Guerrero, Victor Ortiz, and featherweight Marquez.
      I used to say the exact same things. I've posted threads in the last six months listing opponents Floyd "should have" fought. The reality is, the path of fights he took is a great one. It just is.

PS. another fight I'd have loved to see would have been a young-ish Floyd vs. Marco Antonio Barrera at Lightweight in 2002.

Comment

it is a good resume, it was on pace to be really up there, but after hatton, it took a severe nosedive when he decided to duck the ww division when it was peaking, leaving all those guys to fight each other...fighting shane, cotto, and pac, after they had been ravaged by other fighters, isn't nothing special...especially since floyd only outpointed these guys on the cards...leaving guys like paul williams, and tony margarito on the table didn't help matters much...

when you stand it up next to a srl, a high rank atg @ ww and overall, it magnifies how many holes are in it...

Comment

Better resume than anyone since he started fighting pro in 1996 and you can include Pacquiao and Hopkins if you want to.

Comment

He has a lot of good names but for one reason or another he never got a great in his prime (that can be hard to do). He called the shots for at least a decade of his career so that's a little hard to fathom.

Marquez and Pacquaio the only two greats he fought and Pacquaio was washed up and Marquez had barely just left 130 and was all of a sudden at 147. Perspective - when Floyd fought Oscar at 154 Marquez had just moved to 130 for the first time. Marquez was on his 3rd fight above 135 and his 6th above 126 and all in a very short space of time. Pacquaio had been bludgeoned by JMM in 2012, schooled by him in 2011 and looked a shell of his former self in the fights following.

Mosley and De La Hoya two very good fighters but both far removed from their better days (which was late 90's early 00's). Cotto also very good but he was a good 3-4 years past his best by date. Canelo also very good but at a catch weight when Canelo already struggling to make 154 and was very green.

Overall he has a great resume due to quantity and longevity but lacking the "wow factor" when you look at the wins and when he fought them. You'd have to be biased to suggest any of the above were prime wins.
            Last edited by chrisJS; 11-15-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

For sure. Not a fan myself but gotta respect his skills, knowledge of the sport and legacy

And not too many fighters look as good and fast as him past 36 years old like he did

Comment

Those names are just "What if?" moments than important in a legacy? Okay sure. Let me start.

Prime Pacquiao
                Prime Paul Williams
                135 Mosley
                Prime Miguel Cotto
                Prime Antonio Margarito
                Prime Sergio Martinez
                a prime Martinez is a bit much to ask...but he coulda got to him before cotto. he missed a good opportunity to add lineal mw champion to his list of accomplishments.

Comment

No matter how you dress Floyd up he is associated with being cautious and not tasking many risks and when he diud it was calculated and methoidical.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    10 #1 ranked fighters in the division being fought in beaten

7 P4P Top 10 fighters beaten.

20 odd World Champions beaten.

Not bad for a "cherry picker"
                    and somehow they downplay this but then you ask them who their favorite fighter is and silence!!!! they have to try to dig up fighters from 20-30 years ago

Comment

Those names are just "What if?" moments than important in a legacy? Okay sure. Let me start.

Prime Pacquiao
                      Prime Paul Williams
                      135 Mosley
                      Prime Miguel Cotto
                      Prime Antonio Margarito
                      Prime Sergio Martinez
                      Just about all of these are irrelevant

Prime Pacquiao
                      Prime Paul Williams
                      135 Mosley
                      Prime Miguel Cotto
                      Prime Antonio Margarito
                      Prime Sergio Martinez
                      Pacquiao ducked drug testing which blocked the fight from happening originally.

Paul Williams would've been fun. Def wish that happened.

Floyd is on record during postfight interviews calling out DLH and Mosley from weights as low as 135. Meanwhile Mosley is on record complaining of a toothache...as a reason to not fight Floyd

Cotto sat ringside for Henry Bruseles and Floyd. Bruseles was trained by Evangelista Cotto (Cotto's uncle and trainer at the time). Arum said afterward that "Cotto wasn't ready"

I refuse to accept Margarito as a serious opponent. He lost to Paul Williams with loaded gloves, cheated undefeated Cotto, then got KTFO by Mosley in his next fight. The alleged "duck" came when Floyd fought Baldomir. Baldomir was Floyd's FIRST FIGHT after buying out of TR. Does it not seem weird for Floyd to turn around and pay Arum money for a fight??? Again, Margarito lost every important fight in his career except for when he cheated Cotto.

Everyone would've liked to see Sergio

Comment

Working...
                      X