Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ronnie Shields: Lara's Style is His Style - I Won't Change it For Critics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
    I agree, you are very confused
    Like I said I'm agreeing with most of the sh^t you are saying, but you keep going overboard on what I'm saying cuz you are trying to overplay something I'm not actually saying. But yea if you wanna call it agreeing to disagree fair play I guess.

yep

my fighter suxx, so lets change the rules to suit him
    The rules of boxing today haven't always been the rules of boxing. The rules of boxing can change again. It has nothing to do with Lara or any other one guy. Personally I woulda loved the days of Dempsey & others being able to hover over a guy once he knocked him down & hit him upon rising. That was still boxing too yet different then what we see now & certain fighters would do better under that rules set & certain fighters wouldn't do better under that rules set.

Comment

He shouldn't be the main event then. From a technical and artistic point, Quiet Passion was a better movie than SpiderMan:Homecoming, but the majority of the paying public wants to watch SpiderMan. Boxing geeks forget that boxing is, essentially, entertainment. It's great that you can appreciate all the subtleties of Lara's boxing skill, but appreciate it in your own time.

Comment

Erislandy "El Oro de Guantanamo" Lara has the following boxer's hiding in a Protective Custody Dooms-Day Bunker:

1.Golovkin
        2.Charlo
        3.Andrade
        4.Hurd
        Last edited by REYESdelBOXEO; 10-20-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
          Lara's "style" ain't what bothers me
          It's his passiveness and low output and reluctancy to finish/dominate opponents that sucks
          It's the cuban style of boxing, as Rigondeaux had the same issues for a while until he realized that he won't get a better fan following unless he tries to finish his opponent, even if it might cost him.

Comment

Originally posted by Afi23 View Post
            What I really appreciate about the Cuban style is the ring discipline that Rigo, Lara and co have. Sure, against a Gausha level, you'd like Lara to step out of his style to put on a show. However, I can appreciate the fact that despite the boos, he'll have the discipline to stick to his style because eventually against a top level opponent you need that discipline when you are under fire.
            Sure, Rigo has been involved in alot of "boring" fights but at least we know he won't unravel when the going gets tough against Loma.

I also feel like commentators could do a better job of explaining what is amazing about what a guy like Lara. Last saturday, I feel like Paulie did a good job of explaining the subtle things that Lara does because indeed, he was in front of Gausha all night yet Gausha could never catch him.

only problem with that theory is that everytime Lara fights a "top level opponent" he LOSES.
            Last edited by OnePunch; 10-20-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

why should expending energy unnecessarily, and offering your opponent opportunities, be rewarded?

they used to be bad things, that were coached out of bad fighters

why should the rules be changed to benefit limited fighters..... who are not that "effective"?
              perhaps fencing would suit your tastes more? You could sip your tea, eat your scones, and marvel about the defensive brilliance of the fencers. They might even have the golf-type announcers who whisper during the event, so as not to ruin anything with a bunch of unnecessary excitement.

Most of us boxing fans want to see a FIGHT. Now you can try and dumb that down to toughman level if that somehow makes you feel superior, but the real truth is that you are in a sad little minority of hipsters who think that because they like the dreadfully unpopular "style" of Lara, Rigo, etc., that they are somehow smarter or more refined than the rest of us knuckle draggers who just want to see an actual fight.
              Last edited by OnePunch; 10-20-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                only problem with that theory is that everytime Lara fights a "top level opponent" he LOSES.
                Obviously I can't dispute facts but let's not pretend that these weren't 2 VERY close fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Like I said I'm agreeing with most of the sh^t you are saying, but you keep going overboard on what I'm saying cuz you are trying to overplay something I'm not actually saying. But yea if you wanna call it agreeing to disagree fair play I guess.

nah, you keep going underboard

understating what effect a change like that would cause

it would completely change the game, dumbing down the sport, slowing/killing the natural evolution of more skillful fighters in favor of the rockem sockem robot boxing that you casuals love.....

..... just so that your guy doesn't get embarrassed on the cards, again

thanks, but I will pass

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  The rules of boxing today haven't always been the rules of boxing. The rules of boxing can change again. It has nothing to do with Lara or any other one guy. Personally I woulda loved the days of Dempsey & others being able to hover over a guy once he knocked him down & hit him upon rising. That was still boxing too yet different then what we see now & certain fighters would do better under that rules set & certain fighters wouldn't do better under that rules set.

nobody questioned the possibility, just the wisdom

couldn't your guy just get better at cutting off the ring, and work at being more effective when in contact situations?..... seems a lot easier than dumbing everyone else down

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    perhaps fencing would suit your tastes more? You could sip your tea, eat your scones, and marvel about the defensive brilliance of the fencers. They might even have the golf-type announcers who whisper during the event, so as not to ruin anything with a bunch of unnecessary excitement.

Most of us boxing fans want to see a FIGHT. Now you can try and dumb that down to toughman level if that somehow makes you feel superior, but the real truth is that you are in a sad little minority of hipsters who think that because they like the dreadfully unpopular "style" of Lara, Rigo, etc., that they are somehow smarter or more refined than the rest of us knuckle draggers who just want to see an actual fight.

this is boxing son, you sure you're in the right game ?

sounds like MMA, or lower-level club fights, are your thing

expecting world-class fighters to dumb down their game is extremely stupid, even for you

Comment

it would completely change the game, dumbing down the sport, slowing/killing the natural evolution of more skillful fighters in favor of the rockem sockem robot boxing that you casuals love.....

..... just so that your guy doesn't get embarrassed on the cards
                      I don't even know what that means & again shows me you are trying to say I'm saying sh^t for reasons I'm not saying sh^t or saying sh^t I'm not saying.

I don't got a "guy" I'm thinking about at all. I think it makes the rules simpler & easier & less subjective to score for that one aspect of what wins a round.

Even rounds SHOULD go to the aggressor & THEY DO NOW largely cuz judges are told to not score rounds even so they gotta give someone the round & they pretty widely seem to give it to the aggressor, effective or not.

No reason the official rules shouldn't say aggression instead of effective aggression cuz largely effective aggression is a bs term cuz like so many terms in scoring boxing its in the eye of the beholder what effective aggression is cuz 10 guys will say its 10 different things.

I've had these discussions before & seen the nutty sh^t people think effective aggression is or isn't.

Also still LOLing at you thinking changing one word on scoring criteria turns boxing into a toughman contest.

But fair enough agree to disagree cuz you keep trying to say I'm saying something I'm not f#cking saying or going to crazytown on what boxing looks like for changing one word on what wins a round despite ring generalship, defense + clean punching still being among the scoring criteria.

Comment

Working...
                      X