Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong- Top 5 P4P or overrated due to romanticism?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
    No, I am not trolling. He was great relative to his era, but by today's standards, he had many holes in his game.
    watch the way he boxes when he had to with lamatto#6 and tell along with all other footage of him and tell he had [many holes] dude was 128-1-2 with 5 wins over guy who beat him.also avenged both [draws]he won news paper dec in both those but still beat both once twice that's after 12 years cmon

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      He was the greatest of his day. I think a few more modern boxers his weight might beat him. The longer ago these legendary boxers fought the harder it is for any more recent boxers to beat them in fantasy fights. There is romanticism involved. Many like to believe boxers about the same age as themselves were the best. Boxing has improved in the last 80 years. Boxing is a much more world wide sport now than then. The population of the world is several times greater. More boxers means more chances of great boxers. Training methods and skills have probably improved. When I see film of the great old timers they usually don't look as sharp as the best modern boxers.
      My take on that is if he were fighting today he would have access to all those training methods. Given his relentless style and incredible stamina he would be a handfull in the present. Pitting two fighters from different generations doesnt prove anything if the playing field isn't level.

Comment

look iT there were WAY more boxers then it peaked in the40-50s but there is less every decade sad but true very sad

Comment

No, I am not trolling. He was great relative to his era, but by today's standards, he had many holes in his game.
          If your honestly not trolling why would you enter a thread based solely on Henry Armstrong, a fighter that you admit to have not watched much of in a previous comment. Fair enough though man your entitled to your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
            watch the way he boxes when he had to with lamatto#6 and tell along with all other footage of him and tell he had [many holes] dude was 128-1-2 with 5 wins over guy who beat him.also avenged both [draws]he won news paper dec in both those but still beat both once twice that's after 12 years cmon
            I have no idea why you're discussing resume when we're talking about SKILLS.

And as I said earlier, SRR's punch mechanics are horrible by today's standards. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. Every sport evolves over time.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
              If your honestly not trolling why would you enter a thread based solely on Henry Armstrong, a fighter that you admit to have not watched much of in a previous comment. Fair enough though man your entitled to your opinion.
              I wanted to touch on old time boxers getting romanticized. I don't really need to watch him since the whole premise of the thread is you bashing him for his lack of skills being overshadowed by nostalgia. We're basically both saying the same thing.

Comment

I have no idea why you're discussing resume when we're talking about SKILLS.

And as I said earlier, SRR's punch mechanics are horrible by today's standards. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. Every sport evolves over time.
                boxing is diff from other sports there were many more fighters back then.all other sports have grown and they are bigger were in boxing u can still compare a 160 pounder from today and one from 40s

Comment

I wanted to touch on old time boxers getting romanticized. I don't really need to watch him since the whole premise of the thread is you bashing him for his lack of skills being overshadowed by nostalgia. We're basically both saying the same thing.
                  if you have not even watched them how do u even compare

Comment

boxing is diff from other sports there were many more fighters back then.all other sports have grown and they are bigger were in boxing u can still compare a 160 pounder from today and one from 40s
                    My friend, you are making no sense at all.

if you have not even watched them how do u even compare
                    Bro, weren't we just talking about SRR?

Comment

My friend, you are making no sense at all.

Bro, weren't we just talking about SRR?
                      yes and if u aint seen Armstrong I don't think u have seen srr that much either. but man we can just disagree

Comment

Working...
                      X