No announcement yet.

Looking back, Oscar beat Pernell 7 - 5

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back, Oscar beat Pernell 7 - 5

Oscar won the first half of the fight while I gave most of the second half to Pernell. All the rounds were close but Oscar landed the more clean and effective punches. Anybody else agree?

I had it a draw. Tough fight to watch because Whitaker put on an excellent defensive display but didn't do enough offensively to win. DLH meanwhile was a lot more aggressive but barely landed anything clean and looked really bad at times. I could see someone having it really close either way I don't view it as a robbery, but also not a win. I think the controversial decisions more or less evened out with Oscar. He should have got the nods against Trinidad and Mosley in the 2nd fight but I also thought he should've definitely lost to Sturm and one of Quartey/Whitaker. I thought Ike beat him by a couple of points in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
      I had it a draw. Tough fight to watch because Whitaker put on an excellent defensive display but didn't do enough offensively to win. DLH meanwhile was a lot more aggressive but barely landed anything clean and looked really bad at times. I could see someone having it really close either way I don't view it as a robbery, but also not a win. I think the controversial decisions more or less evened out with Oscar. He should have got the nods against Trinidad and Mosley in the 2nd fight but I also thought he should've definitely lost to Sturm and one of Quartey/Whitaker. I thought Ike beat him by a couple of points in that one.
      Pernell was a great fighter but I do think he was quite overrated. His defense was stellar but his offense was above average. I wouldn't favor him against Kostya, Floyd, Manny, Mosley, Crawford, Duran, Thurman, Hearns, or Wilfred. You have to have a perfect balance and Pernell never had that to me.

Comment

I bet you a lot of the people that talk **** about the fight, only saw highlights or saw someone else talk about it and they went with that opinion. Hardly anyone talks about the point deducted by the headbutt which was bull**** but it was still a point deducted. The scores from the judges weren't as close as it should have been. Oscar still won that fight, not clear clear but clear. Oscar did duck a rematch though.

Comment

pernell like the Rigondeaux of the 90s....

DLH won tho

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
            Oscar won the first half of the fight while I gave most of the second half to Pernell. All the rounds were close but Oscar landed the more clean and effective punches. Anybody else agree?
            Excellent. Yes Everyone tried to give Pernell 3 reparations points going into the fight but if you watch the fight objectively without fear of being labeled racist, Oscar was the most effective and was always the aggressor.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
              pernell like the Rigondeaux of the 90s....

DLH won tho
              Pernell took more risk and didn't waste his prime.

Comment

It was a very close fight, don't know why so many people now automatically parrot that it was a robbery.

Comment

I don't think the fight was a robbery at all but people expected more from the very hyped, younger, much bigger Dela Hoya. I can't really argue with the decision, a win for Pernell by a point or for Dela Hoya by a point or a draw are all good scorecards to me.

Nobody really won that fight but I think Pernell should've walked away with his head high because judging by the way the fight went at the time it happened, everybody knows that if that fight would've happened 3-4 years earlier that the result would've been different. Pernell already had a lot of mileage and he was an undersized welterweight in the first place, he was also dealing with drugs at the time so he did very well for himself in that fight.

Comment

I will always be amazed at Pernell. He's such an underappreciated fighter and above all else? Pernell just had too much reflexive like moves that still amaze me to this day. Mike was a monster but as a kid? I remember always liking him and i always felt like he won just off pure defensive display.

I might be bias tho

Comment

Working...
                    X