Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Andre Ward's Place in Boxing History is Near The Top

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisanthropicNY View Post
    Roy Jones' statement is bizarre as hell...

How could a guy's place be close to the top when he got dropped and lost the first fight against Kovalev who everyone on this site says is nothing special...

Ward's biggest wins are against Froch and Kessler... the second fight with Kova was controversial and he ended the fight with a low-blow - the most unimpressive "TKO" I've ever seen.

Joe Calzaghe fought Kessler at the end of his career when Kessler was undefeated and schooled him and hurt him to the body without using the dirty tactics that Ward deployed...

Calzaghe is above Ward period - so if Ward is one of the GOATs, then Calazaghe is what? Next to Ali?

nope

you thinking that, is bizarre as hell

* forget the rubbish bouncing around inside your melon
    * live/eat/breathe everything that Roy Jones says
    * live a happy fruitful life

Comment

Since Andre Ward won the super six, for me he totally lost motivation! (And was more concerned about maximizing his earning potential with the least amount of fights! I don't really think he was in the game for greatness! over these past few years)...

Comment

Originally posted by SugarRaRobinson View Post
        Calzaghe liked to go skiing, before and after fights. (Snorted lots of dust) and somewhat tarnished what could of been one hell of a legacy. No wonder he could pump out 200 punches per round at that weight class= cocain
        Not to mention he hid over in the U.K. and waited for Roy and B-hop to get old before he garnered the courage to fight them.

not sure if coke works like that ?

he was a fitness freak, obsessed with stamina

for the exact same reason Mayweather was

scared to lose, and knew that stamina is the key

nothing wrong with that

Calzaghe put in miles of roadwork around the moors when he was in camp

he always made himself a very difficult fighter to beat

Comment

Originally posted by Edward90 View Post
          I rate Ward very highly. There isn't anyone at 168 or 175 who would just smoke him. He would be tough for anyone to beat at those weights and could possibly rise to the top. Calzaghe wouldn't beat him. I'm not even going to debate that...

I probably agree, but that would have been a helluva fight

his volume would have been less-effective against Ward, but he was very difficult to beat

I take Ward

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
            Since Andre Ward won the super six, for me he totally lost motivation! (And was more concerned about maximizing his earning potential with the least amount of fights! I don't really think he was in the game for greatness! over these past few years)...

then why did he fight Kovalev ?

there are a lot of easier ways to make a buck

Comment

Ward never fought anyone who can operate on the inside, he has a solid resume but that right there makes it difficult to rate how truly skilled he was. I'm happy for him but I've always and still remain bothered by that, not his fault but yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                then why did he fight Kovalev ?

there are a lot of easier ways to make a buck
                He even admits it himself, since he won the super six! His mentality had changed, and even his motivation. Listen, if Andre Ward was in this game for greatness he would not be retired! (He should of challenged Adonis Stevenson, and then took a major risk and ventured into ether the cruiser or Heavyweight-weight divisions).
                Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 09-25-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I think Ward could be indisputably higher up on the consensus all-time-great list with just a couple more fights to finish clearing out the current LHW picture.

But as a gold medalist with an unblemished professional record, he will always be brought up in conversation.

Comment

I think the way Ward fights, he could compete and probably outlast any fighter. But to do this he has to have a ref who will tolerate his illegal tactics.
                    It seems like once a fighter gets to be A side in the US, the refs tolerate all kinds of fouls. That could be the reason Andre never fought outside of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                      not sure if coke works like that ?

he was a fitness freak, obsessed with stamina

for the exact same reason Mayweather was

scared to lose, and knew that stamina is the key

nothing wrong with that

Calzaghe put in miles of roadwork around the moors when he was in camp

he always made himself a very difficult fighter to beat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...***-shame.html

Who's to say he didn't get away with his dirty habit while fighting ? Furthermore cocain is a Super Stimulate which leads to ungodly stamina. Lawrence Taylor is a prime example of what cocain does for athletes as it made him a God among mortals on the football field.
                      Last edited by SugarRaRobinson; 09-25-2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X