No announcement yet.

One of the greatest careers in professional sports history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the greatest careers in professional sports history

The man who overcame the odds time and time again.

-Last lost a fight when he was 13 years old.

-Voluntarily fought at light heavy in the Olympics to avoid fighting his cousin in the qualifier. Thought he would grow into the division but was only able to get up to 170, still took down the monsters at 178.

-Defeated future gold HW medalist Clemente Russo
    -Defeated 6'5 Evgeny Makarenko whom hadn't lost in 5 years, a real life David and Goliath bout
    -Won Gold in the 2004 Olympics despite all the odds being against him

32 quality fights.

-Barely 6 years and 20 fights into his career he pulled off another huge upset with all odds against him. Dominating his competition from start to finish, at age 25 dismantling and stopping Mikkel Kessler, schooling Abraham, and embarrassing Froch in the Championship despite entering the bout with a severely broken hand.

-Was doubted once again when he was semi-retired, cleaned out 168, ducked by foes at 160, he sought a tougher challenge and moved up, the odds against him yet again.

-Took on a Champion quality fighter as a tune up in Barrera.

-Took on the boogeyman of the division, the man everyone said he'd never fight and he did it not once but twice. Decisioning him the 1st time in a classic Rocky-esque performance, stopping him in the 2nd bout.

Kovalev x2, Froch, Abraham, Kessler, Miranda, Barrera, Green, Rodriguez, Brand etc.

The sheer amount of power punchers this guy has fought, it makes for one of the most dangerous, riskiest resumes of all time.

SOG is the man who overcame all odds, doubted from start to finish, NEVER made any excuses.

Severely outweighed in the Olympics fighting guys 6'5, no problem.

Entering the S6 against killers and very little experience, no problem.

Entering the Final Championship bout against Froch with broken hand, no problem.

Taking on a Champion as his tune up at LHW after years out of the ring, no problem.

Taking on the boogeyman of the division, not once, but twice and stopping him a 2nd time to put the nail in the coffin, no problem.

Guys like SOG are rare, he is truly one of the ATG's, thrown into the fire from start to finish, crushing anything in his way. Could've easily taken an easier path but refused to and chased greatness. One of the greatest warriors and minds in all of boxing, SOG Ward. Flawless 32-0.

Much respect to him. Great career. Brilliant boxer. Very skilled/determined.

He gets a lot of hate but when you're the best you get hated on the most.

It just comes with the territory.

I wish him all the best in his next chapter. 32-0.

Comment

No, not one of THE greatest. Just a great career.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
        The man who overcame the odds time and time again.

-Last lost a fight when he was 13 years old.

-Voluntarily fought at light heavy in the Olympics to avoid fighting his cousin in the qualifier. Thought he would grow into the division but was only able to get up to 170, still took down the monsters at 178.

-Defeated future gold HW medalist Clemente Russo
        -Defeated 6'5 Evgeny Makarenko whom hadn't lost in 5 years, a real life David and Goliath bout
        -Won Gold in the 2004 Olympics despite all the odds being against him

32 quality fights.

-Barely 6 years and 20 fights into his career he pulled off another huge upset with all odds against him. Dominating his competition from start to finish, at age 25 dismantling and stopping Mikkel Kessler, schooling Abraham, and embarrassing Froch in the Championship despite entering the bout with a severely broken hand.

-Was doubted once again when he was semi-retired, cleaned out 168, ducked by foes at 160, he sought a tougher challenge and moved up, the odds against him yet again.

-Took on a Champion quality fighter as a tune up in Barrera.

-Took on the boogeyman of the division, the man everyone said he'd never fight and he did it not once but twice. Decisioning him the 1st time in a classic Rocky-esque performance, stopping him in the 2nd bout.

Kovalev x2, Froch, Abraham, Kessler, Miranda, Barrera, Green, Rodriguez, Brand etc.

The sheer amount of power punchers this guy has fought, it makes for one of the most dangerous, riskiest resumes of all time.

SOG is the man who overcame all odds, doubted from start to finish, NEVER made any excuses.

Severely outweighed in the Olympics fighting guys 6'5, no problem.

Entering the S6 against killers and very little experience, no problem.

Entering the Final Championship bout against Froch with broken hand, no problem.

Taking on a Champion as his tune up at LHW after years out of the ring, no problem.

Taking on the boogeyman of the division, not once, but twice and stopping him a 2nd time to put the nail in the coffin, no problem.

Guys like SOG are rare, he is truly one of the ATG's, thrown into the fire from start to finish, crushing anything in his way. Could've easily taken an easier path but refused to and chased greatness. One of the greatest warriors and minds in all of boxing, SOG Ward. Flawless 32-0.

He never captivated fans though. That’s the difference between him and a guy like Roy Jones, despite Jones being in the double digits for loses now if I’m not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by N!Ck F. View Post
          He never captivated fans though. That’s the difference between him and a guy like Roy Jones, despite Jones being in the double digits for loses now if I’m not mistaken.
          That's genetics, RJJ was born with great genetics that allowed him to fight in such an entertaining manner, Ward was not.

Simply another case of him overcoming the odds, not with his body, but with his mind. No power, shoulder injury, all this man does is overcome the odds.

Comment

ward against all odds hahahahaha now that is a good one. then you watch his fights and you realize it was his opponents who were against all odds
            Last edited by daggum; 09-21-2017, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I'll miss Ward like I miss a rock in my shoe

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                ward against all odds hahahahaha now that is a good one. then you watch his fights and you realize it was his opponents who were against all the odds
                So Ward wasn't at a disadvantage fighting in the S6 a mere 6 years into his career? What were Kessler, Froch, Abraham, etc. doing 6 years into their careers?

Didn't whoop Froch with a broken hand?

Didn't come out of being semi-retired, moving up a division and taking on 2 champion quality fighters 3x?

Comment

A truly great career. I'm a bit bummed he won't be fighting anymore, but I'm not gonna criticize his decision to retire. I wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                    So Ward wasn't at a disadvantage fighting in the S6 a mere 6 years into his career? What were Kessler, Froch, Abraham, etc. doing 6 years into their careers?

Didn't whoop Froch with a broken hand?

Didn't come out of being semi-retired, moving up a division and taking on 2 champion quality fighters 3x?
                    i'm just watching the fights and judging by what i saw it was clear ward was getting favorable treatment and allowed to cheat nonstop. from the olymic fight where he got rocked and held for literally half the fight, to the kessler clinchfest and headbutt fest, to the kovalev robbery and low blow stoppage. not sure how you can be against all odds when you are the one being protected and allowed to cheat.

Comment

Working...
                    X