why i think ward really retired

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
    sure i can buy his 33 year old "body" reasoning

but to me i think he still feels disrespected...and to some degree he should feel that way

but his rate of pay will no longer be on par with his standing in the game and level of accomplishments.....he simply isnt embraced and he hit his high notes with the kovalev fights.....now, accepting any less money, will not be worth it to him and will be a step back....and i dont think anyone can really afford to pay him that money or more again

its simply not worth it for him to get ready and go into a fight while making 2-3 million when hes probably the most accomplished man in boxing now
    he was able to get the pro cheater fanbase but the anti cheater fanbase never came around for some reason

Comment

Because unlike like the music industry where the Beibers of the world can still make millions with their ****ty music, there's only so many boxing fans willing to pay for someone who's always in ****ty, boring a$$ fights.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
        A unification bout with Stevenson might have made some money if promoted right.
        Problem is he is so arrogant he thinks his name alone is promotion enough. He is too egotistical to go and do the hard work it takes to build up a fight. He thinks it is beneath him. He is so arrogant he said the most important point he won during the Kov rematch negotiations was he wanted his name first on the billing. That is how he thinks.
        Last edited by jdp28tx; 09-22-2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
          he already took 5 years off after the super six and fought a few janitors and cab drivers. how the fuk can his body be so broken down after fighting these nobodies and how does he think he is worth big paydays when he cant draw flies to chit
          The guy had to give away free tickets to his fights in his own hometown. He is the first fighter I ever saw try to sink the profits of one of his own pay per view fights (Kov rematch) just because he was pissed he had to honor his contract.
          Last edited by jdp28tx; 09-22-2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            there is ONE reason he is retiring, and ONE reason only: MONEY.

Roc Nation isnt going to re-up him a new deal with those stupid guarantees, and his conversations with Top Rank clued him in on his REAL market value. And he simply will not fight for the numbers that represent his drawing power. He expects someone to lose millions in order for him to fight, and that just aint happening no more.
            Agreed, I have been saying this all day. This guy is so out of touch. Remember, he sued a dying man for no real good reason other than he thought he deserved more and more and the courts kept telling Ward he was full of ****, but he kept bringing lawsuits and they kept getting thrown out. He gave no evidence as to why he deserved so much $. He is just a narcissist.

Comment

It's because Golovkin was his last big payday and it'll never happen now.

Comment

I just think he had enough especially with the Bellew fight not happening, I think he was interested in that fight and the payday it represent but as soon as the Haye rematch came through for bellew then Ward didn't think there was anything else out there to make him want to get up. Like someone else said if they offer him a career payday tomorrow for another big fight then am sure he would take it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
                  That might well be true but Ward doesn't love fighting, he's talked of retirement a few times. Add to that he's approaching mid 30's.

Not saying he's running from these guys specifically but i'm sure he knows with age and lack of enthusiasm, these guys coming through are going to be tough for him.
                  So you're not saying he retired to duck those two boxers but he is actually retiring to duck those two boxers.

NSB

Comment

You can see how ward thinks. He won Olympic gold, set out to be a world champ and did it. Not only did it but cleaned out a division. He then set his sights on the weight class above, then cleaned it out. His first thoughts were of going to heavyweight, but he's not built for that. He did what he came to do and left as a champ

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
                      So you're not saying he retired to duck those two boxers but he is actually retiring to duck those two boxers.

NSB
                      I'm saying he probably isn't in love with fighting anymore and he's smart enough to know there's young guys like those i mentioned coming up behind him that would possibly beat him if his heart isn't in the game... and those fighters probably won't bring enough money to make him consider staying in the game.

Comment

Working...
                      X