Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very happy for Ward and his family. He was able to leave on top and healthy. Boxing is a brutal sport and a lot of guys hang on to long and are paying for it now. Ward is a class act and I am so proud of his accomplishments. Good luck on your future and God Bless!

Comment

• First ballot hall of famer!
      Ward > MayRUNNER

Comment

• There are very few boxers that are afforded the opportunity to leave this sport in the fashion that Ward is.

Cong****, champ! Enjoy retirement.

Comment

• He wasn't going to get Adonis...Haymon and Jay Z, something personal there...so, there wasn't much left to accomplish.

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
            hes a great commentator so looking forward to hearing him doing that more
            I'm sure that commentator position also made it easier for him to retire financially. It's nice to know that him and Paulie Malagnaggi will continue to make money in the sport of boxing long after their retirements.

Comment

• I think the injuries took a toll on him. It seemed like his heart wasn't in it anymore the last couple of years.

At least he goes out on top. I'll never forget how those bodydhots broke Kovalev's will, even if the very last punch might have strayed low.

Kovalev was hurt and gasping for breath long before then.

Comment

• Originally posted by TyrantT316 View Post
                Fighters are independent contractors. They work hard for decades in the ring and in the gym. Once they've accomplished goals, it's up to them to decide how they want to spend the declining years of their careers.

Much respect to Ward. Whether you like him or not, he fought VERY good competition and ended up undefeated. He ends his career having fought the man everyone said he feared and was avoiding. Won a controversial decision and in an immediate rematch stopped him. There's not much more you can ask.

Anything from here would just be more critics trying to push him to a defeat or beating as he's not getting any younger. While I would like to see him fight Adonis Stevenson, Adonis has messed his career up so much that Ward and Kovalev already proved themselves as the best LHW's while Stevenson has been happy holding onto his lineal reputation. Ward doesn't NEED Stevenson. Also Ward talked about Heavyweight. I am sure him and his wife have spent time with the thought and maybe decided moving up just because you're pressured to might not be in his best interest.

As a man of the same faith as Ward, I don't believe Boxing runs his life. He's taking control of his life, I am sure has done well with his money, has other ambitions and focuses in his life and knows Boxing is a sport that can welcome you win with open arms, push you a lot, give you a lot, drain you and spit you out if you don't take control of yourself and your career.

I'm glad he's making this decision.
                Could not have said this any better!!
                Always nice to see a fighter walk away on his own terms from this thankless sport.
                His resume speaks for itself.
                Wishing him the very best.

Comment

• Might as well leave on top right?... Not a huge Andre Ward fan but he was a great role model for the sport and very professional. I would have liked to see him and Stevenson fight but it's not a big deal. Enjoy your retirement champ!!

Comment

• Good for him. Good health and on a high note.

Comment

• Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                      Shame, I feel like he still has plenty to offer the sport
                      I truly feel he's one or two fights from being an all time great. Still if he feels he hasn't got anything left to offer best of luck to him.

Comment

Working...
                      X