Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mayweather in your Top 10 ATG? Name your Top 10.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    top 5 for me without a doubt. people keep saying how great the older fighters were but if you look at there records they basically fought a lot domestic scrubs and boxing wasnt an international sport back then. think overrating the fighters from the past seems to be equated with being a 'hardcore' fan. Look at some of the fighters someone like greb lost to (who seems to be a top 10 shoe in), lost to someone who was 48-23, 87-23, 62-33, drew to 63-25, and lost to the same guy 3 times. Can u imagine the reaction if floyd lost to a 48-23 fighter? Im not having it that thats one of the best of all time and a 50-0 guy isnt, a guy with pac, mosley, de la hoya, corrales, castillo, canelo, hatton, cotto amongst some other good world level fighters on his record. from where im looking i dont see many fighters who have consistently fought at world level who have gone 50-0. If u dont rate him highly in the GOAT standings i dont really know what a modern day fighter would have to do to be rated highly. and i know people get offended when the old school fighters get criticised but thats the way i see it.
    i don't know much about harry greb, but it seems like he had a fight every week. he had a 13years career and over 110 fights .

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
      top 5 for me without a doubt. people keep saying how great the older fighters were but if you look at there records they basically fought a lot domestic scrubs and boxing wasnt an international sport back then. think overrating the fighters from the past seems to be equated with being a 'hardcore' fan. Look at some of the fighters someone like greb lost to (who seems to be a top 10 shoe in), lost to someone who was 48-23, 87-23, 62-33, drew to 63-25, and lost to the same guy 3 times. Can u imagine the reaction if floyd lost to a 48-23 fighter? Im not having it that thats one of the best of all time and a 50-0 guy isnt, a guy with pac, mosley, de la hoya, corrales, castillo, canelo, hatton, cotto amongst some other good world level fighters on his record. from where im looking i dont see many fighters who have consistently fought at world level who have gone 50-0. If u dont rate him highly in the GOAT standings i dont really know what a modern day fighter would have to do to be rated highly. and i know people get offended when the old school fighters get criticised but thats the way i see it.
      Very good post. I like to call that "the nostalgia effect". It's almost as if because of how great this or that fighter was, they must be at the top, while I just think they are remembering things how they want to, instead of seeing them for what they really were. We recall things with stars and roses sometimes. Floyd retired at 50-0 and just never lost that aura of invincibility, thus leaving it difficult to the imagination of how he would possibly have lost.
      Either way, good post..green K golovpolesmoker!

Comment

Originally posted by Metho_4u View Post
        Very good post. I like to call that "the nostalgia effect". It's almost as if because of how great this or that fighter was, they must be at the top, while I just think they are remembering things how they want to, instead of seeing them for what they really were. We recall things with stars and roses sometimes. Floyd retired at 50-0 and just never lost that aura of invincibility, thus leaving it difficult to the imagination of how he would possibly have lost.
        Either way, good post..green K golovpolesmoker!
        tbh if anything mcgregor vs mayweather is the proof oldsql fighters would do very well today. mcgregor looked more like an oldsql boxer than a modern boxer. if robinson would fight today he would probably clean out the ww division within a year.

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
          tbh if anything mcgregor vs mayweather is the proof oldsql fighters would do very well today. mcgregor looked more like an oldsql boxer than a modern boxer. if robinson would fight today he would probably clean out the ww division within a year.
          But mcgregor got destroyed

Comment

Originally posted by hateinyaeyes32 View Post
            But mcgregor got destroyed
            i know but on the other hand mcgregor is not robinson. was just trying to say if a mma fighter with zero boxing experience goes 10 rounds with the best boxer of the last 20years, what do you think robinson would do today vs spence, thurman etc. all i know is horn wouldn't last 2 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by T3dBundy View Post
              i know but on the other hand mcgregor is not robinson. was just trying to say if a mma fighter with zero boxing experience goes 10 rounds with the best boxer of the last 20years, what do you think robinson would do today vs spence, thurman etc. all i know is horn wouldn't last 2 rounds
              That's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                Anyone that has Mike Tyson in the top 10 ATG should be banned because they DKSAB.

I'm sure Tyson himself would say he's nowhere near top 10. Most people that know boxing would struggle to find a place for him in a list of top 10 HW's.
                He is top 10 most popular boxer of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
                  1. Roberto Duran
                  2. Sugar Ray Leonard
                  3. Julio Cesar Chavez
                  4. Thomas Hearns
                  5. Mike Tyson
                  6. Alexis Arguello
                  7. Wilfred Benitez
                  8. Manny Pacquiao
                  9. Salvador Sanchez
                  10. Felix Trinidad
                  Are those your favourite fighters or who you actually see as the top 10 fighters of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by Holystroke3 View Post
                    We don't need an ordered list with breakdowns just give us those 40ish names
                    Somewhere here i put around ten just in last 25 yrs or so in his weight classes that imo beats him. So imo my point done made. And if i sat here wasting my time for hour composing a concrete list of greatest fighters ever he may move up to 39 or back in the 50 ish lol. Its ok man, im not attacking heros or your pride, im just giving short opinions. But if we ever run across each other in the real world i would talk boxing all day with ya ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
                      Are those your favourite fighters or who you actually see as the top 10 fighters of all time?

Subjectively it's kinda the same thing.

Plus he got Duran in his top 3. Man knows his boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X