Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo talks retirement, lol

http://http://www.boxingnewsonline.n...isnt-any-fear/

Per interview:
    However, he admits that thoughts of retirement have crossed his mind – though that won’t come for a good few years yet.

“Obviously it’s crossed my mind. I’ve thought about it. It’s crossed my mind. I can’t help but think about that.”

So after all the b.s. quotes taken out of context, arguments that Golovkin isn't focused if he's talking about retirement, etc., here's an article with Canelo talking about retirement.

I could easily argue the following:

1. This is Canelo's first monster pay day, after having to take the B side cut against Cotto and Mayweather.

2. If he gets beaten, he can't easily go back to 154 (where he wasn't fighting the best at that weight anyway) and he can't stay at 160, where he has to go through Golovkin.

3. A second loss on his record will permanently tarnish the idea that he is p4p, and limit how much money he can make going forward.

Therefore Canelo is already thinking about taking his paycheck and retiring.

I COULD make that argument, but I don't believe that any more than people should believe Golovkin is unmotivated.

The answers people give in interviews is dependent on the questions that get asked! You can't divine what someone is thinking about from them, especially when they are taken out of context.

His one loss is to one of the best boxers of this generation, Mayweather. If he loses to GGG and has 2 losses from those guys, it shouldnt be looked down upon at all, those are top elite fighters of this generation

Comment

Boxing is tough as hell, I don't blame anyone that wants to hang them up...even if their debut was this same year

Comment

I can't believe so many of you missed the obvious.

Boxing has a new superstar in Connor and Canelo knows if he loses he's the B side forever as long as connor is in boxing.

Comment

He's vaguely mentioning anything to do with retirement so idk if he's reallllllllly thought about retirement as a career move so much as some undetermined future date when he may wanna retire. Kinda how like Oscar used to say he'd retire at 30 or whatever when he was 22 or Khan when he said something similar. Its abstract retirement talk lol.

If not I'd be feeling weird about how he's going into this fight if he was thinking legit retirement.

Comment

You're all kind of making my point, and I agree with all of you, you can't just pluck the word retirement out the air and think the fighter is in bad head space. I don't think Canelo is mentally slipping and I don't think Golovkin is either.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
              I can't believe so many of you missed the obvious.

Boxing has a new superstar in Connor and Canelo knows if he loses he's the B side forever as long as connor is in boxing.
              Lol yes, how did I miss that.

Comment

I can see early retirement for Canelo. He's made a lot of money thus far. Win or lose vs. GGG, he doesn't have too many easy fights ahead of him at 160 or 154. Charlo and Jacobs are big, dangerous MWs, Lemieux would lose but dish out some punishment in the process, I have Canelo beating Saunders by UD--but it likely never happens because I don't see Canelo traveling to Europe to fight him and I don't see Saunders traveling to US to fight Canelo. Back at 154 there is another Charlo, Andrade, Hurd, and Lara. No real money to made in any of these fights that would make the risk worth the reward given his track record.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
                  Boxing is tough as hell, I don't blame anyone that wants to hang them up...even if their debut was this same year
                  Yea & its twofold for Canelo.

This is a hard f#cking thing to do + Canelo has a bank account thats probably impressive already & more than 99.9% of boxers will ever reach. I mean how often can you wake up at 5am & go to the coal mine breathing all that dust & sh^t when you got 8 digits in your bank account? Idk, but if I was in Canelo's spot I'd be retired already.

Comment

I'd imagine anybody boxer that has made large amounts of money must think about it sometimes.

Canelo said himself this is his is his first monster payday. Nobody really knows how motivated they're going to be when they get the money from a payday like that.

I'd say he's being quite realistic.

Comment

Working...
                    X