Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far back can you trace your interest in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far back can you trace your interest in boxing?

How far back can you trace your interest in boxing? And what are some of your earliest memories?

For me some of my earliest memories include Frank Bruno vs. Lennox Lewis (1st October 1993) and Nigel Benn vs. Chris Eubank II (9th October 1993). I was almost 7 years old when these two took place. I also remember watching Prince Naseem's rise. I used to beg my dad to let me stay up and watch live. Otherwise he'd record them and I'd watch them first thing the next morning.

I was born in 1991.

I remember watching Tyson and Oscar with my dad. So I guess around 1996-1997

Comment

im not gonna lie i started watching boxing after i saw a WSHH video of broner vs paulie post fight interview/rant. i wanted to read more about broner allegedy stealing paulie's gf and it led me right here to boxingscene and i ended up watching all of the build up and press conferences so i could have a good laugh..

i also watched a few pacqioap fights on a stream before. it was the margarito and cotto fights, and mosley.

Comment

i watched hagler vs hearns but now understand jokes.

Comment

started watching in 1986

Comment

Mike Tyson's punch out. My friend let me borrow it and would tell me how awesome and scary he was. I had no way to watch his fights but I imagined him to be this invincible monster. Then I found out he lost and I couldn't believe it.

The first boxing fight I saw though was Chavez vs Camacho. I got invited to my cousins house, it was packed and I just loved everything about that experience. How psyched people were about the fight and the opinions of it before etc.... from then on, I would go watch every Chavez fight at his house, it was always a huge family event.

Eventually that died off and I didn't really follow boxing besides hearing about Oscar de la Hoya.

... what got me big into boxing again and I became a hardcore after that was the Morales vs Barrera fight in 2000. I had just gotten satellite TV for the first time and that fight was on a few days after I had it installed. That year was awesome, we had Morales/Barrra, Mosely/De La Hoya and Vargas/Trinidad, among other fights.

Comment

real boxing didnt come to fruition since about last month

Comment

While I remember having watched JCC, Oscar De La Hoya, Meldrick Taylor, Pernell Whitaker and Hector "Macho" Camacho, the first memory of a fight I watched and can recollect to this day was Tyson/Douglas. 1990.

The reason that one stands out and remains memorable is due to how shocking it was. NOBODY thought Douglas had a chance even with all the nonsense Tyson was dealing with at the time.

My first experience with boxing came before that, when I (non-sexually) hooked up with Marvin Hagler's niece. 1985. But at the time I was too young to appreciate how big Hagler was at the time.

Comment

Mike Tyson then Prince Naseem then RJJ then Pacquiao...now back to Ali, Duran, Sanchez and old fighters mostly. Modern era can eat a d1ck.

Comment

My uncle and grandfather were running an amateur gym, so basically i've been around it since i can remember.

That said, my interest in boxing as a young kid was quite sporadic. Sometimes i'd go to the gym a few days a week for months and then wouldn't go for ages, i was more interested in football (soccer) and then as a teenager i was more interest in music and hanging around the streets, weed, drinking and girls, rather than going to their gym. My interest in boxing as a teenager was quite high though, but only watching it rather than doing it and has remained so.

So yeah, it's been in my life my whole life and probably a missed opportunity considering my family were running the gym but i just had other bigger passions for my enjoyment.

In terms of the earliest fights i remember watching on TV, it would have been around the time of Naseem Hamed. Tyson v Bruno II sticks in the mind too.
                    Last edited by TheBigLug; 08-13-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X