Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

go with very first thought, is boxing a martial art?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you hear someone say, yeah im doing a martial art, does anyone ever say boxing?

but WHY? i think it should be a martial art but the thing is. everyone can throw punches. not everyone can judo...etc. they can try.

key is the google list of martial art. people are like COURSE. is it so obvious they decided to leave it out the list of 20.

im bad. come at me.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      Of course it's a martial art and a damn good one. If you think it isn't then why are you wasting your time on a boxing board? Kimbo Slice, a not very good heavyweight boxer made dozens of videos of himself beating local street fighting champs using only legal boxing blows and nothing else. Boxing is just as effective as any other fighting art and it works in the street too. I watch the UFC fights every chance I get. Some of those fights are just boxing matches with smaller gloves. They could kick or throw elbows and knees or wrestle if they wanted to but both fighters prefer to box.
      I remember reading an article about thirty years ago, in a martial arts magazine (might've been Inside Kung-Fu). It told the story of some American sailors fighting some Chinese Kung-Fu artists on the piers in Hong Kong, back in the 1800s. The sailors used boxing. According to the story, the Americans won their fights. This is quite significant, when you consider the source. It should also be mentioned that boxing, back in those days, was more of a martial art than it is today. As time progressed, the sport aspect of boxing was emphasized over its martial roots.

Comment

Originally posted by moltres. View Post
        haha, they even have fencing as a martial art. not boxing. boxing nowhere to be seen.

even if you say no, you aint wrong. but if you say no, you can still argue that it is.
        Interestingly, the most famous martial artist of all time, Bruce Lee, considered both boxing and fencing martial arts. The proof is in the putting. Bruce incorporated boxing and fencing ideas (among others) in his Jeet Kune Do. It's also well known that he trained in boxing from time to time.

Comment

if you hear someone say, yeah im doing a martial art, does anyone ever say boxing?

but WHY? i think it should be a martial art but the thing is. everyone can throw punches. not everyone can judo...etc. they can try.

key is the google list of martial art. people are like COURSE. is it so obvious they decided to leave it out the list of 20.

im bad. come at me.
          Boxing is the very definition of a martial art, there's no way you can even argue it. Boxing has been a documented practice since the time of the ancient Greeks and origins of boxing quite possibly date back to pre-civilization

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

It's not about breadth of skills it's about depth.

That's why boxing is probably the original martial art.

Keyword being art, the art of punching, the sweet science.

Comment

everyone look up great martial artists. see how many boxers you find.

seems like they are just considered boxers. not martial artists.

im sorry guys but its just the way it isss. things will never be the saame.

Comment

There's a good book called "Championship Streetfighting: Boxing As A Martial Art" by Ned Beaumont. In it, the author espouses the old-time boxing techniques of men like Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis. It's a nice read for anyone interested in boxing as self-defense, versus boxing as a sport.

Comment

do you watch boxing thinking its a martial art though?

do we consider these sportsmen martial artists? think about it.

again ive boxed. high high level. i dont consider myself a martial artist. id say im a boxer and its a sport.

come at me.
                youre a martial artist you fruit. you cant call it fighting unless youre throwing hands in the streets. you fight under rules in a ring, youre a martial artist

Comment

everyone look up great martial artists. see how many boxers you find.

seems like they are just considered boxers. not martial artists.

im sorry guys but its just the way it isss. things will never be the saame.
                  I gave you the benefit of the doubt and tried to respond intelligently, turns out you're just ******ed. "peeleft:

Comment

answer this question and do some research as i sleep...

why are there no legedary boxers in martial artists best of all time lists using an search engine you want?

theres no boxers in the list.

then ask yourself if you have ever thought of a boxer as a great martial artist?

simple jon, answer you idiot. find me something online. not an 1879 book. find me something online where it talks about a boxer as a martial artist.

theres so much articles online but none talks about a boxer on a martial artist great/good list.

sorry for the bump.

some people do, some people dont.

i wont bump again.

literally thousands of articles online and nobody has put a boxer when talking great martial artists.

and apparently im meant to believe its the top ma. when people weirdly i must say just dont want to include these great boxers who are using there hands.

guys. whatever. you cant say im wrong when every article dont include boxers when talking ma. not my fault.

someone at google is dumb.

'ma list'

hmmm 25 here, kick boxing cool. its hard to explain why it aint a ma.

maybe cause so many bums and useless athletes are in boxing and become world champion.

cant do that with other martial arts. and a lot of ma use strikes as a weapon, but not a primary weapon.

if boxing was soooo goooood, more would go into ufc to prove a point. boxers would be beating mma fighters cause 'boxing the main ma and the best'.

these same people likely think people outside of america watch bball baseball anerican foolball.

show me a article in the morning.

boxing is essentially boxing. a combat sport.

tyson fury a martial artist hahaha ima sleep on that note

bellew and chisora hahahaaaaaa fuk meee sorry guys.

Comment

sorry guys no punctuation. on phone. good luck reading.

i usually type how i speak using commas to slow, you, down. so you get me. im not rushing to say a sentence and be out of breath. bye baseball basketball and american football heads. baseball like golf. a fuking hobby haaaa

Comment

Working...
                      X