No announcement yet.

Floyd dismantled Marquez after a two year lay off... Pacquiao got knocked out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
    The reason I mentioned the lay off is defeating a top 10 P4P opponent after not fighting for 2 years is more commendable than the fact that Marquez came up 2 weight classes to fight Mayweather. Especially since Marquez had an even bigger success at a higher weight class. If Marquez went back down to his natural weight then the argument would be more valid.

I'm glad you brought up Ali/Foreman. Would Mayweather have been given a pass if he lost to Marquez because of the lay off?
    Mayweather probably wouldn't get a pass from his Layoff had he been beaten by Marquez because sometimes, history is made to what the people want to be, at the time a lot of people, including the media hates mayweather so they'll brush off Mayweather's lay off and pretend that he was at his prime, and active, to derogate his career further. It was the same for Ali against Frazier, regardless of actual facts.

Also the layoff vs weight climb, it is hard to compare because layoffs affect different kind of fighters, some are hardly ever affected, and some could be immediately shot after a 1 year lay off.

I admit that I have a bias against Mayweather and would lean on that he might be one of those guys that hardly gets affected by the lay off because of how sharp he is against Marquez, looking like he barely lost a mov, So I with my bias I would say was harder for Marquez to carry that weight than for mayweather to shake that ring rust. Then we have Pacquiao after being laid off for a year after 2015, coming back looking sharp as ever against the Bradley 3rd fight. So who knows actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
      I think we can all agree Floyds masterful performance vs Marquez gets extremely overlooked

Pacman struggled in all his fights against Juan Manuel, even got questionable Bob Arum decisions. Then when the odds where finally even he got knocked clean out in devastating fashion

Styles make fights. Some guys just have your number. For Manny it was Marquez. For Ali it was Ken Norton. Ali struggled with Norton. Foreman demolished Norton. Ali stops Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Too bad lil fat JMM fought at 135 before stuffing his face with tacos to make 147 for Mayweather, who refused to weigh in on fight night because he weighed over 160 pounds in the ring. LOL, I mean you can see the MASSIVE size difference long before the fight. No tune ups at "welterweight" and he was so small that he could only get up to 142 for the weighin.

So you expect us to believe that the same Floyd Mayweather who weighed in at 146lbs against Judah, 149lbs against Baldomir, 150lbs against Ortiz, 150lbs against Canelo, and 148lbs against Maidana, somehow weighed 160lbs against Marquez?

Yeah, sure buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
          No you idiot. Weight doesn't change skills, it changes the physical aspects of a boxer, he could lose speed, reflexes and punching power. And Marquez lost all of them against Floyd. Accumulation of weight processes the body to adapt to the weight, giving him time to be used to it and giving him the reflexes for the addition of weight, by the time Marquez fought Pacquiao for the 4th time, he already accumilated at the weight, but for the Floyd situation, it was instant for him, so that theory goes out of the window.

You probably dont understand this and I understand since Flommos have a disease that cant see the flaws of what Mayweather did.
          Pretty sure Marquez's previous fight before Floyd was at 140lbs.

Also, Floyd was coming from a two year lay off bro. How rusty you think he was when he fought Marquez?

Comment

This was the fight that proved, more so than the Pacquiao fight, that Floyd is the best in this era. Marquez against anyone is a win for Marquez or a close, controversial battle. Against Mayweather it was a 120-107 shutout.

After the fight people claimed Marquez was done. Old, washed up, out of shape.

Then he comes back and KO's Pacquiao, the so called best of this era and "Top 5 ATG" in spectacular fashion which enhances this win to an even greater level.
            Last edited by JK1700; 07-23-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

My boy JK straight up owning *******s as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                Mayweather probably wouldn't get a pass from his Layoff had he been beaten by Marquez because sometimes, history is made to what the people want to be, at the time a lot of people, including the media hates mayweather so they'll brush off Mayweather's lay off and pretend that he was at his prime, and active, to derogate his career further. It was the same for Ali against Frazier, regardless of actual facts.

Also the layoff vs weight climb, it is hard to compare because layoffs affect different kind of fighters, some are hardly ever affected, and some could be immediately shot after a 1 year lay off.

I admit that I have a bias against Mayweather and would lean on that he might be one of those guys that hardly gets affected by the lay off because of how sharp he is against Marquez, looking like he barely lost a mov, So I with my bias I would say was harder for Marquez to carry that weight than for mayweather to shake that ring rust. Then we have Pacquiao after being laid off for a year after 2015, coming back looking sharp as ever against the Bradley 3rd fight. So who knows actually.
                I respect your honesty especially in regards to your bias against Mayweather. I support Mayweather but I was especially impressed with this performance. Marquez looked slow compared to Mayweather but he didn't look slower compared to himself at 135. I remember watching Marquez vs Diaz before the fight with Mayweather and I knew instantly the fight would be easy because he was so slow. I disagree that the weight increase affected him that much but I understand your point. I try to keep an open mind when judging fighters that I don't support. From the moment I started watching Pacquiao I thought he was limited as a boxer but I was forced to give him respect because he kept winning. His most impressive performance to me was against Cotto. I don't discredit him for winning but I still hold the opinion that he has many flaws. I think Lomachenko is the very best boxer today but my support for him keeps waivering because I think the way they're advancing his career doesn't match how good he is.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                  Hey now, he was only evening the playing field to get a fair fight
                  Yet Pac has always looked the same with or without testing, whereas Marquez went back to being pudgy above 140 like in the Floyd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
                    My boy JK straight up owning *******s as usual
                    Hahaha! I have enjoyed this thread.

Originally posted by chaos View Post
                    Yet Pac has always looked the same with or without testing, whereas Marquez went back to being pudgy above 140 like in the Floyd fight.
                    You can't say that . Didn't he go from throwing 1300 punches against Clottey to throwing barely over 400 against Floyd? I know we can't compare Mayweather and Clottey but that's 900 less. Something definitely went on with him that's one hell of a drop off. JMM got some help with Heredia which raised a lot of flags, but people had been suspecting Pacquiao for years too. So they were both suspect. I think they were both doing it. Floyd's the only one we really know for sure was/is clean.

Saying the fight would've been close at 130 or 135 is like saying Chavez would beat Whitaker at a different weight class. Mayweather was just as great or greater at the lower weights. Marquez might've done better, so would've Floyd. His problem wasn't a power/stamina situation, he just couldn't land anything and kept getting countered. That's a problem that doesn't change regardless of weight.
                    Last edited by JK1700; 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Size has nothing to do with Mayweather schooling Marquez. Mayweather was simply faster and more skilled. And it is an A+ win. Marquez is a warrior and had never really been beaten cleanly.

Comment

Working...
                      X