Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P4P resume and skill wise, who is better than floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
    Maidana giving Floyd hell doesn't make him A-level or elite. He is B-level at best. Maidana that fought Floyd is still the Maidana that lost to Khan, Alexander and Kotelnik.
    Hell no lol. Maidana was not the same fighter that lost to khan. He improved under garcia and developed a pretty good jab.

Comment

Ali is not known for beating Henry Cooper, he is known for beating Joe Frazier, George Foreman, and Norton.

Pacquiao is not known for beating Vargas, Algerie, he is known for beating Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Tim Bradley

SRL is not known for beating Green, Mayweather Sr. He is known for beating Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, And Marvin Hagler.

Greats are known for beating other greats when they were at their best.
      Except you're unwilling to diminish any of those wins you listed like you do to Floyd. I can easily say Pac's win over Morales is no good because Morales just recently lost to Barrerra and then lost to Raheem directly before the pac rematch.
      I can easily say Ali's Norton wins don't count because they were controversial and people think he lost against Norton. Additionally both Ali's Liston wins are shady because of mob connections and 'the phantom punch'.

I can say SRL fought Duran at a weight above his prime weight. I can say SRL fought Hagler after he'd noticeably declined and had a war with a guy like Mugabe.

I don't make these arguments because i don't believe in going out of my way to diminish wins the way you do to Floyd.

edit: Loads of these wins you mentioned weren't these guys at their best, but you won't ever admit that. You'll diminish Floyd's Cotto win because he was 'war torn' but won't apply that to other people's wins. The cotto win is good, same as Mosley coming off his big win over Marg, same as undefeated Hatton, same as Pac coming off wins over top welter's like Bradley, same top guys Castillo and Corrales. Give him credit.
      Last edited by Jiub; 07-15-2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussTBE View Post
        Hell no lol. Maidana was not the same fighter that lost to khan. He improved under garcia and developed a pretty good jab.
        But it does not make him elite or anything. He just got a new trainer and got himself some new tricks up his sleeve. What did this Maidana did post Floyd? He retired, but his small segment that showed in the Broner and Floyd fights doesn't make up for his entire career that showed him who he was: A B-level fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiub View Post
          Except you're unwilling to diminish any of those wins you listed like you do to Floyd. I can easily say Pac's win over Morales is no good because Morales just recently lost to Barrerra and then lost to Raheem directly before the pac rematch.
          I can easily say Ali's Norton wins don't count because they were controversial and people think he lost against Norton. Additionally both Ali's Liston wins are shady because of mob connections and 'the phantom punch'.

I can say SRL fought Duran at a weight above his prime weight. I can say SRL fought Hagler after he'd noticeably declined and had a war with a guy like Mugabe.

I don't make these arguments because i don't believe in going out of my way to diminish wins the way you do to Floyd.

edit: Loads of these wins you mentioned weren't these guys at their best, but you won't ever admit that. You'll diminish Floyd's Cotto win because he was 'war torn' but won't apply that to other people's wins. The cotto win is good, same as Mosley coming off his big win over Marg, same as undefeated Hatton, same as Pac coming off wins over top welter's like Bradley, same top guys Castillo and Corrales. Give him credit.
          Difference is, of course, you can make those arguments with the greats. You can't really say it with Floyd because, other than Pac, he fought no other greats. Lots of good, not greats.

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
            Difference is, of course, you can make those arguments with the greats. You can't really say it with Floyd because, other than Pac, he fought no other greats. Lots of good, not greats.
            No, you're just applying different standards to current fighters about what constitutes great. Outside of Ali Norton doesn't have great wins, I can concede maybe one of his other wins as 'great. If he's a great then DLH, Cotto, and Mosley are great. But i'm just gonna be called an ignorant new fan.
            Last edited by Jiub; 07-15-2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson has a better resume and skills. No one else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiub View Post
                No, you're just applying different standards to current fighters about what constitutes great. Outside of Ali Norton doesn't have great wins. If he's a great then DLH, Cotto, and Mosley are great. But i'm just gonna be called an ignorant new fan.
                They were greats but the question is, where they the greats at their prime?

Comment

I think these guys beat Mayweather.
                  Ray Leonard
                  Ray Robinson
                  Tommy Hearns.
                  Hearns had too much power. Tommy had very fast hands in his prime. He outboxed Wilfred Benitez another defensive wizard. I don't think Tommy has ever been out boxed by anyone. He's been stopped but I don't recall him losing on points. Not 100% sure of that.
                  Duran in his prime.
                  Possibly Carmen Basilio.
                  Last edited by TonyGe; 07-15-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

defense, no one is better than floyd in my opinion

overall skills, sweetpea and duran were better p4p

resume-wise, probably in the lower top 20

Comment

They were greats but the question is, where they the greats at their prime?
                      Are you going to ask that of all those other wins you mentioned earlier which I addressed? Morales wasn't prime against Pac, Frazier had just been brutally stopped by Foreman before Ali beat him in the rematch. So I guess these weren't great wins.

You see what I mean? You can diminish many of these wins which make these guys all time greats. You refuse to apply the same scrutiny to other's as you do to Mayweather. Floyd faught many of his opponents coming off big wins but you won't give him credit.

Marquez, Cotto, Pac, Hatton, Canelo, Maidana, Corales, Castillo, Genera Hernandez, at the time of all these fights were each very good to great wins.
                      Last edited by Jiub; 07-15-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X