No announcement yet.

America has never been fully behind Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America has never been fully behind Mayweather

I remember when Floyd was pretty hurt by the support Americans were giving Pacquiao in his glory days as oppose to him.
    Obviously Toronto and London were Connor Crowds
    But LA and Brooklyn were split...

Floyd never clicked with the american public and it wasn't because he played the villain.. People love the villains

It's because his fighting style and not having a built in fan base unless you count black Americans which there aren't as many as other minority groups. He's never resonated with white Americans.
    Last edited by Sup; 07-14-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

its his style and the fact that he lies a lot about what he's gonna do in the ring and then goes and does the opposite.

Comment

He played the villain for too long. And then he got in trouble hitting women. Americans don't like a woman beater. Myself, I DGAF what a guy does outside the ring, most of them aren't good dudes anyways. I judge sports figures by what they do on the field of play for the most part.

Floyd chose his path, it led him to greatness and more money than he could have gotten if he had played nice guy.

I am from Grand Rapids. I know he plays a character, but he's also probably not a dude you'd want to know. He's a genius in the ring and I've been a boxing fan long before he started winning Golden Gloves titles out of Pride Gym. He's probably a childish jerk, but he's a master in the ring and boxes more perfectly than anyone we've ever seen.

Don't worship the personalities, you'll always be disappointed. The nice guys are probably jerks too. McGregor is at least as much of a ****y brat as Floyd has ever been, no really idea what either are like as persons.

Comment

how on earth can you support a boring fighter?

Comment

He's smart. He has his fan base, but he tends to fight guys who have much larger fan bases of their own. Guys whose fans will travel, and buy tickets, and show up to the fights.

He couldn't give a damn about being the crowd favorite, as long as the arena is sold out.

Comment

He's got a unique case. Defensive-minded boxers rarely become huge in this sport. It will never happen again.

He retired at a young age and fans interpreted it as avoiding prime fighters in his division. Came back, retired again, fought once a year, became an object of curiosity. Fans hated his style and wanted to see him lose. Had nothing to do with being genius in the business. It all worked for him unintentionally. There'll never be another case like his.

Show me a defensive fighter who got any potential in making it as huge as Cotto, for instance. None. Never.

Comment

We all know why...

Comment

If only he was from the UK

Comment

They didn't like him as pretty boy when he was stopping people, they didn't like him when he stopped Ricky hatton, didn't like him fighting cotto a week out from jail. They didn't like him beating gatti the way he did. Damn sure didn't like him when he took a plea deal for domestic abuse. I think the only time I heard the crowd on Floyd's side was when he was cheated outta a gold medal at the olympics and even that was exiguous.
                    The day he debuted and stood over the mullet man ****y af the crowd didn't like him.....

Comment

Working...
                    X