No announcement yet.

Inoki ruined Muhammad Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inoki ruined Muhammad Ali

If you watch their fight, you can see how much damage it did to Ali's legs. They even talked about amputating his leg afterwards. It's a miracle that he could complete the training camp after.

Was the decision to fight Inoki the worst decision in Ali's career? That just may be the case.

This has long been talked about by writers and boxing analysts from that time period.

However, it's not just Ali's legs that failed him, his greatest down fall was the slow, destructive rise of PD, which was continuously missed by inept doctors for a period of years.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      This has long been talked about by writers and boxing analysts from that time period.

However, it's not just Ali's legs that failed him, his greatest down fall was the slow, destructive rise of PD, which was continuously missed by inept doctors for a period of years.

Such a legend. All those problems he had to live through.

One wonders if Inoki is not ashamed of his performance during that fight... All he did was lie on the floor and kick.

Comment

That was a disgrace.

How can a man fight on his back?

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
          That was a disgrace.

How can a man fight on his back?
          It was certainly a pathetic sight. But then again, both of them had a lot of limitations rulewise... If Inoki had chosen to stand up, he would be KTFO, regardless of Ali wearing gloves or not.

Comment

Ali didn't had much left in his prime, i don't think that it affected it much.
            The injuries were really bad, with amputation being considered, but Ali still managed to get the close w over Norton and the wins over Shavers and Spinks.
            So I think he did it right, it would have been much worse earlier in his career.

Comment

Inoki lying on his back throughout the entire fight was totally unexpected.
              At least from the stories I've read.
              But then all the people in Ali's corner were set to stop the fight the moment Inoki touches Ali.
              In short, Ali was fully protected. There's no way he would get hurt in that fight.
              He was like a diamond in a safe full of security people.

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
                Inoki lying on his back throughout the entire fight was totally unexpected.
                At least from the stories I've read.
                But then all the people in Ali's corner were set to stop the fight the moment Inoki touches Ali.
                In short, Ali was fully protected. There's no way he would get hurt in that fight.
                He was like a diamond in a safe full of security people.
                Well, Inoki found the perfect way to take that illusion of security away...

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                  Ali didn't had much left in his prime, i don't think that it affected it much.
                  The injuries were really bad, with amputation being considered, but Ali still managed to get the close w over Norton and the wins over Shavers and Spinks.
                  So I think he did it right, it would have been much worse earlier in his career.
                  That Ali could do even relatively well after the Inoki fight is a true testimony to his greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
                    Such a legend. All those problems he had to live through.

One wonders if Inoki is not ashamed of his performance during that fight... All he did was lie on the floor and kick.
                    Inoki should be ashamed. The ifght was set up as an exhibition, where Ali would do a lil bit of his boxing, INoki could do a lil bit of his play fighting and it would go to the cards. Instead, Inoki, as unprofessional as always, went out trying to severely injure a man who had come over to make a quick buck and have a laugh.

Inoki pulled this stunt at various points in his "wrestling" career.

Comment

Working...
                    X