Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Weeks Owes Apologies to Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to poor refereeing it was an inconclusive ending. Even though Ward caught him with a good right hand, a fighter low blowed like that should get five mins to recover, as you can see in fights such as Trinidad-Vargas and Mayweather-Judah. It's just not allowed. Ward is a superbly crafty boxer, not in Mayweather's level but a somewhat great boxer, and Kovalev is powerful but can be outboxed.

Comment

The lowest was the last punch when he bend over cause he was done, he didnt want to fight anymore, he had already turned around a few times and complained of lows when there wasnt

I do agree about the bad stoppage, he should got a 10 count, but he just bend over and was defenseless so i understand the stoppage of Weeks

Comment

This article was completely biased. He dismissed the observations off Kovalev's behavior as "criticism" then goes on to spend the whole article criticizing the referee and Ward. What about the rule that says a fighter stops fighting at the sound of the bell signifying the end of the round or if the referee says stop fighting. Not when they feel like it. So Weeks was supposed to take Kovalev's word that's he was fouled. The only thing Weeks would have to apologize for is if he admitted that he saw low blows and didn't call them.

I'm still waiting for the article on Weeks should apologize to Floyd Mayweather because apparently he didn't have a belt line in his fight against Maidana.

Comment

Great article Keith! I don't like how you had to throw in the bull**** about Kovalev's "rabbit punches" though just to try to appease Ward's side and create a false equivalency. I just rewatched the fight and Ward rabbit punched Kovalev, not the other way around. What Ward is referring to is the nice inside shots Kovalev landed to his cheeks and ears all fight while he was grabbing Kovalev. Ward did the better body work inside, of course, but Kovalev with his longer arms, needing more space, landed the better head shots inside because it suited his arm angle better.

Ward would turn his head to the side sometimes when Kovalev threw them, making them land on the ear, but they weren't rabbit punches. Rabbit punches are behind the head. Kovalev did not hit Ward behind the head more than a couple times all fight. In fact I saw repeatedly where Kovalev would hit Ward with a beautiful shot to the cheek inside, then Ward would get angry and hit Kovalev as hard as he could behind the head, then complain to the ref, who reprimanded both fighters as if both had committed a foul, when in reality only Ward had. He answered legal shots to the side of the head with illegal shots to the back of Kovalev's head.

But because Ward is skilled in the Art of War, and came up with something he could accuse Kovalev of as a strategy to distract from his own fouls, you had to repeat it like a sheep, as if you accept it must be true simply because Ward said so.

Please rewatch the fight carefully and count how many times Kovalev actually hit Ward behind the head, compared to how many times Ward rabbit punched him. In fact, why not just count total fouls by each fighter? I would be very interested to see which fighter actually fought dirty.

Comment

another kovalev fan boy crying because his daddy got whopped lmfaoo

Comment

Ward stopped Kovalev, end of story. No amount of pouting will change what happened. You can tell by kovalevs immediate reaction to the stoppage that he was done and wanted out at that point in time. It wasn't until interview time that he changed his tune.

Comment

Weeks helped a brother Andre Ward out big time with Kovalev stop

It was a colored thing with Weeks helping his colored Bro Andre out in stopping the fight way to early. Okay Ward drilled Kovalev in the *****'s 3 times below the belt making Kovie winch in pain and sit on the ropes. But this is America and the American fighter colored or not deserves all the breaks in a fight. Think if there had been a Russian Referee and the Commie would have disqualified Andre Ward for the lows *****'s to the balls? God Bless America. And Las Vegas ain't Moscow.

Comment

Weeks could have done 2 things neither woukd change outcome. Take a point or give Ward a warning. Call a knockdown as only ropes kept Kovalev up

Comment

So after warning or point deduction Ward puts Kovalev away that round or next nothing changes Ward wins just woukd postpone outcome

Comment

A third fight forget it Ward in Kovalevs head he broke him mentally and physically he beats him every day now

Comment

Working...
                      X