No announcement yet.

(Prime) Winky Wright vs. Canelo Alvarez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Prime) Winky Wright vs. Canelo Alvarez

Was in a discussion on another thread and this match up came up during discussion.

So in your views, analysis and opinions, who wins in a fight while both are in their prime?

Canelo Alvarez vs. Winky Wright

I'll paste my take from the other thread to get it started.

We've seen Canelo take on two really good southpaw boxers at 154 in Trout and Lara. He showed he can handle very difficult fighters by applying effective aggression and minding his defense.

Definitely a distance fight with Wright. It is a razor thin match to me. I think Canelo may struggle with Winky's work rate and physical strength inside, but he would have a slight edge in terms of boxing skills, speed, and clean punching. I could easily see it go either way, but I think Canelo could pull off a hard fought, close decision much in the way Vargas did.

I agree with you that Winky's cage guard, activity and punch resiliency will frustrate Canelo and limit his ouput, but I think Canelo just punches so crisp and clean in spots (at the same time being defensively responsible) he can manage to steal rounds. Definitely a tough fight for him, though. He'd have to earn it big time.

Comment

This would be a good and interesting fight.

IMO a prime Winky Wright would give Canelo problems.

Canelo is not really an attacking fighter or really aggressive.

Canelo is a great counter puncher.
      Problem is Winky Wright is one of the best at counter punching.

With that high shield guard Wright has with his arms. He would pick Canelo's shots off and counter him off of his high shield guard.

I see this as a 12 round fight with Winky Wright winning 8 rounds to 4.

I can see Canelo getting frustrated trying to figure out how to get around and attack Winky Wrights high shield guard and counter punching.

I have Winky Wright winning 116-112

Comment

Winky 8-4 or 9-3 type decision

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
          Winky 8-4 or 9-3 type decision

Yeah, I agree

In his prime Winky was a pain in the ass. With that high shield cage guard and his countering off of it.

Styles make fights and since Canelo doesn't really press or is really aggressive. That would be an issue to me.

Comment

All i could see his jab, jab, jab and then peek-a-boo

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
              I'll paste my take from the other thread to get it started.

We've seen Canelo take on two really good southpaw boxers at 154 in Trout and Lara. He showed he can handle very difficult fighters by applying effective aggression and minding his defense.

Definitely a distance fight with Wright. It is a razor thin match to me. I think Canelo may struggle with Winky's work rate and physical strength inside, but he would have a slight edge in terms of boxing skills, speed, and clean punching. I could easily see it go either way, but I think Canelo could pull off a hard fought, close decision much in the way Vargas did.

I agree with you that Winky's cage guard, activity and punch resiliency will frustrate Canelo and limit his ouput, but I think Canelo just punches so crisp and clean in spots (at the same time being defensively responsible) he can manage to steal rounds. Definitely a tough fight for him, though. He'd have to earn it big time.

Was just watching some old school highlights online and the Winky Wright vs Fernando Vargas fight was one of the fights that was shown.

Made me think and remember how a lot of people thought Wright won that fight, but got robbed because at that time Vargas was the popular fighter. A lot of folks mentioned that to me.

Actually it's funny that I never saw that fight. So I think one day this week I'll pull that fight up online and watch it and judge for myself. Lol
              Last edited by The Time; 05-17-2017, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Winky wins a decision. He got reach, great jab, solid defense, good work rate and better resume. Would be a good fight. I would rather see canelo vs de la hoya.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
                  Winky wins a decision. He got reach, great jab, solid defense, good work rate and better resume. Would be a good fight. I would rather see canelo vs de la hoya.

I forgot about Canelo's defensive upper body movement in my analysis.

That would definitely help him. But I still have Winky winning by pretty much picking off Canelo's shots with his high shield guard and countering him for most of the fight.

The crazy thing about Winky with that high shield cage guard for me was he has some damn long elbows that reach down to his belt line pretty much, so that guard was like a Captain America shield and he would jab and counter you off shots deflected from his high guard cage shield.
                  Last edited by The Time; 05-17-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Winky beats Canelo, I think Winky would've gave Mayweather serious problems it that fight would've happened

Comment

Working...
                    X