Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua past a number of tests last night but where can he improve?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua past a number of tests last night but where can he improve?

Great victory for Joshua last night... I think he past a number of tests last night and showed that...

He can take a shot and showed grit and tenacity after being dropped pretty hard. He also showed that he can go the distance, that he's ready for the world stage and has power, no doubt he's a great finisher...

Having said all that he's still improving and IMO definitely needs to work on stamina and conditioning... It took him a long time to shake the cob webs off after being dropped... At times he looked a bit clueless too, he couldn't really force Klit to fight his fight so probably needs to work on tactics and setting traps...

What do you guys think???

I think he showed too much respect in the early rounds .. If they fought again he'd take it too him from the 1st bell

Comment

I don't think he is as good as I thought he was. I think he is an OK heavyweight champion but not an exceptional one. His chin seems just average at the championship level and his stamina seems below average. His hand speed is good and his punching power with both hands is terrific especially with the right hand. He is a pretty smart boxer and he showed courage and determination.He might be good enough to beat any heavyweight fighting today but I am not as sure of that as I was before this fight. I am sure the Wlad of a few years ago would have knocked him out.

Comment

did he pass the VADA test doe?

Comment

It wasnt a stamina issue as much as it was unsteady legs. The fact that he recovered from that insane right hand is proof of his peak conditioning.

I think AJ needs to focus on being a more measured finisher when he has his man hurt. He has a bad habit of getting wild and purely head hunting when he goes for the finish. Even while hurt, Wlad and Whyte were able to time AJ's predictable 1-2s and hurt him. It would serve him well to take a page out of the Frazier/Tyson book and mix it up when going for the kill.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            I don't think he is as good as I thought he was. I think he is an OK heavyweight champion but not an exceptional one. His chin seems just average at the championship level and his stamina seems below average. His hand speed is good and his punching power with both hands is terrific especially with the right hand. He is a pretty smart boxer and he showed courage and determination.He might be good enough to beat any heavyweight fighting today but I am not as sure of that as I was before this fight. I am sure the Wlad of a few years ago would have knocked him out.
            I tend to agree about his skills right now, but his chin is pretty iron. That right hand would have knocked most guys out cold. Sam Peter was the only other guy I have seen successfully eat a flush right from Wlad.

As far as everything else goes, I think you have to take his level as a fighter with a grain of salt. He started bozing 9 years ago! It's insane that he is at this level already. And as smart as he is, as young as he is, he's most likely going to keep improving.

Comment

Originally posted by Idgogay4AJ View Post
              I think he showed too much respect in the early rounds .. If they fought again he'd take it too him from the 1st bell
              I think he wasn't respectful so much as super nervous with the reality he found himself in. I mean I'm positive he knew going in what this was all about, but I think when that bell rung for the 1st round he was a lil taken aback by the enormity of the moment. He seemed to have gotten over that by the start of the 3rd round iirc. And I think this is just something that's going to happen to anyone in such a big moment. The next time it'll be less & the time after that it'll be less even more so. You just have to go thru it.

As to the OP I think stamina is clearly something that needs work. But honestly idk how much you can improve stamina on such a big mfer. Personally I just think that'll be a disadvantage his whole career & have actually been saying that since before it was an issue cuz this body type just tends to run outta gas. Your body can't be this f#cking big & not have problems emptying your tank quicker than normal.

That said I think it'll still take a high level cat to take advantage of that. Cuz even while he took 2ish rounds of to get his 2nd wind Wladimir, who's old, but was the top guy for a decade, couldn't take full advantage of that to win the fight. So I highly doubt lesser guys can take advantage of Joshua needing a couple rounds to re-gain his wind will help lesser opponents defeat him. The younger, fresher, hard hitter cats might be able to capitalize on it enough to stop Joshua or get the decision doe & Joshua & his team need to work on making that fact less of a liability for them.

Comment

I think he needs to work on head movement. It's funny on a documentary leading up to the fight Joshua laid out the plan to beat klitschko which relied on keeping constant head movement and varying the attack head to body however there was very little head movement. Also Klitschko does telegraph his attacks and almost always before he throws a 1 2 or a hook he'll start bouncing in and out of range and I'm surprised Joshua never really caught on to to it and adjusted. I still believe though that Klitschko would be too much for Deontay or Parker at this moment

Comment

Stamina. Perhaps he has to lose some of his muscle mass for that. He had some moments in 5th round but after that, but next 4 rounds looked like he was trying to recover before getting a second breath

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
                    It wasnt a stamina issue as much as it was unsteady legs. The fact that he recovered from that insane right hand is proof of his peak conditioning.

I think AJ needs to focus on being a more measured finisher when he has his man hurt. He has a bad habit of getting wild and purely head hunting when he goes for the finish. Even while hurt, Wlad and Whyte were able to time AJ's predictable 1-2s and hurt him. It would serve him well to take a page out of the Frazier/Tyson book and mix it up when going for the kill.
                    I don't buy he was more hurt than tired. It doesn't usually take 2 rounds to recovery from being hurt, but it'll take 2 rounds, in particular when you got muscles on muscles, to get your second wind.

The bolded is on point doe. He gets a lil wild when he can smell the KO & against the better guys that could lead into far too exciting fights, in a bad way for him & good way for fans lol, just like this fight was.

And randomly I think when he dropped Klitschko the first time in the 5th that he thought he won & expending a lot of valuable energy in his celebration. He did some king f#cking kong yell & sh^t. And hell man Klitschko landed face down iirc & guys tend to be done or seconds from being done when they go down face down so to some degree its understandable if still kinda unprofessional & in this particular case could have gotten him ended, arguably in the next round when he, imo, got super f#cking gassed.

Comment

Working...
                    X