No announcement yet.

Jake LaMotta's Underrated Defensive Skills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake LaMotta's Underrated Defensive Skills

He had a granite jaw but he didn't get hit as much as people think.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

I like the post on the old school fighter. Whenever I get a chance I like to watch the guys from the old days like Sugar Ray Robinson, Jake Lamotta, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, etc...

Now when I watch LaMotta I'm going to check his defensive skills.

Good Stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by The Time View Post
      I like the post on the old school fighter. Whenever I get a chance I like to watch the guys from the old days like Sugar Ray Robinson, Jake Lamotta, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, etc...

Now when I watch LaMotta I'm going to check his defensive skills.

Good Stuff!
      That's a great idea. Those old guys were so fun to watch. I just stumbled on this video. Shows Jake's defensive side which has been very underrated. He was not easy to hit which is why he's in his 90s and can still talk.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        That's a great idea. Those old guys were so fun to watch. I just stumbled on this video. Shows Jake's defensive side which has been very underrated. He was not easy to hit which is why he's in his 90s and can still talk.

That dude is as tough as they come, still alive and talking in his 90's. Now that's a FIGHTER!

Comment

In his autobiography he stated that he was rarely taking punches clean on the chin. He learned how to catch a punch and move with it, so it looked as though he was taking the full brunt of the punch but he wasn't. Very underrated defensive skills.

Comment

Nice video.

Old school guys had a lot of subtle skills. It is really nice to watch if you know what you are watching.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              In his autobiography he stated that he was rarely taking punches clean on the chin. He learned how to catch a punch and move with it, so it looked as though he was taking the full brunt of the punch but he wasn't. Very underrated defensive skills.

Yes'sir, rolling with the punches

Comment

He developed a lot of those skills working with Joe Pesci.

Thx for posting the vid. Great stuff. I love the subtleties in his defense.

Interesting bit of trivia. Jake wrote this about a dive he took for the mob;
                "The first round, a couple of belts to his head, and I see a glassy look coming over his eyes. Jesus Christ, a couple of jabs and he's going to fall down? I began to panic a little. I was supposed to be throwing a fight to this guy, and it looked like I was going to end up holding him on his feet... By the fourth, if there was anybody in the Garden who didn't know what was happening, he must have been dead drunk."

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  He developed a lot of those skills working with Joe Pesci.

Thx for posting the vid. Great stuff. I love the subtleties in his defense.

Interesting bit of trivia. Jake wrote this about a dive he took for the mob;
                  "The first round, a couple of belts to his head, and I see a glassy look coming over his eyes. Jesus Christ, a couple of jabs and he's going to fall down? I began to panic a little. I was supposed to be throwing a fight to this guy, and it looked like I was going to end up holding him on his feet... By the fourth, if there was anybody in the Garden who didn't know what was happening, he must have been dead drunk."
                  Haha. Joe Pesci will do that. Great quote. Jake was one hell of a fighter who truly would fight anybody. I shutter to think what he'd be doing these days. I don't know that GGG would stand a chance and that's not a knock on GGG. LaMotta was truly special.

Comment

People acts if like LaMotta was this face first brawler, you don't reach that level in an era with just one title per division without skills.

Comment

Working...
                    X