No announcement yet.

Canelo: My ideal weight is 160 pounds.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
    why do both sides co,plain when they get what they want?? damn shut the **** up..
    This fight should have already happened Larry no got what they wanted but cantnelo and his delusional fan boys

Comment

That was obvious since the 155 nonsense began... And the fact that he's heavier than Golovkin which is never repeated enough times.

The whole catchweight demand was just their way of saying no to the fight.

Comment

http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-im...-title--103861

Canelo: I'm Not a Middleweight, But Want To Fight Khan For a Title

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – If you’d like an idea of just how difficult the negotiations will be for a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight, assuming those talks ever begin, you need not look any further than Alvarez’s perspective on owning the WBC middleweight title.

In addition to stating that Golovkin will need to make concessions to make their highly anticipated fight a reality, Alvarez all but said the fight won’t happen at or even near the middleweight limit of 160 pounds, Golovkin’s preferred weight.

Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) will defend the WBC middleweight title he won from Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) against former junior welterweight champion Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) on May 7 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas (HBO Pay-Per-View).

canelo-alvarez (7)_2

The maximum contract weight for the Cotto fight November 21 in Las Vegas was 155 pounds, the same as it is for the Alvarez-Khan fight.

“I’m not a middleweight,” Alvarez told a group of reporters recently. “I’m a super welterweight. That’s my weight class. However, I wanted to fight this fight [against Khan] for some sort of title.”

The 34-year-old Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs), who knocked out overmatched Dominic Wade (18-1, 12 KOs) in the second round of their middleweight title fight Saturday night in Inglewood, California, has not weighed in at less than 158½ pounds for any of his 35 fights since the Kazakhstan native made his pro debut in May 2006. The 25-year-old Alvarez hasn’t weighed in at more than 155 pounds for any of the 48 fights he has had during his 10½-year pro career.

“We’ve said it along, and that’s the misconception,” Eric Gomez, Golden Boy Promotions’ vice president, said regarding Alvarez not being a true middleweight. “He’s a super welterweight. The only reason he became the middleweight champion is because he wanted to fight Miguel Cotto. Miguel Cotto put the conditions [in place], as the champion, and that’s the reason. And [Alvarez] won the title.”

Alvarez obviously could give up the WBC middleweight title and continue fighting at 154 pounds, a weight he says he still has no issues making. He has instead followed Cotto’s controversial lead and opted to defend the 160-pound championship at 155 pounds.

That has opened up the Mexican superstar to constant criticism, but Alvarez hasn’t allowed heavy scrutiny of his WBC middleweight championship reign to adversely affect him.

“There’s always gonna be critics,” said Alvarez, who emphasized several times that his fight against Golovkin eventually will happen. “They say one thing and then they change their mind, and they say another thing. There’s always gonna be critics. But that means that you’re succeeding, when there’s critics.”

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
          That was obvious since the 155 nonsense began... And the fact that he's heavier than Golovkin which is never repeated enough times.

The whole catchweight demand was just their way of saying no to the fight.
          I said this for the Lara fight. He has a belt, 155 doe.

Then he fights Smith at 154 for that belt.

Canelos reputation is in the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
            http://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-im...-title--103861

Canelo: I'm Not a Middleweight, But Want To Fight Khan For a Title

By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – If you’d like an idea of just how difficult the negotiations will be for a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight, assuming those talks ever begin, you need not look any further than Alvarez’s perspective on owning the WBC middleweight title.

In addition to stating that Golovkin will need to make concessions to make their highly anticipated fight a reality, Alvarez all but said the fight won’t happen at or even near the middleweight limit of 160 pounds, Golovkin’s preferred weight.

Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) will defend the WBC middleweight title he won from Puerto Rico’s Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) against former junior welterweight champion Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KOs) on May 7 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas (HBO Pay-Per-View).

canelo-alvarez (7)_2

The maximum contract weight for the Cotto fight November 21 in Las Vegas was 155 pounds, the same as it is for the Alvarez-Khan fight.

“I’m not a middleweight,” Alvarez told a group of reporters recently. “I’m a super welterweight. That’s my weight class. However, I wanted to fight this fight [against Khan] for some sort of title.”

The 34-year-old Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs), who knocked out overmatched Dominic Wade (18-1, 12 KOs) in the second round of their middleweight title fight Saturday night in Inglewood, California, has not weighed in at less than 158½ pounds for any of his 35 fights since the Kazakhstan native made his pro debut in May 2006. The 25-year-old Alvarez hasn’t weighed in at more than 155 pounds for any of the 48 fights he has had during his 10½-year pro career.

“We’ve said it along, and that’s the misconception,” Eric Gomez, Golden Boy Promotions’ vice president, said regarding Alvarez not being a true middleweight. “He’s a super welterweight. The only reason he became the middleweight champion is because he wanted to fight Miguel Cotto. Miguel Cotto put the conditions [in place], as the champion, and that’s the reason. And [Alvarez] won the title.”

Alvarez obviously could give up the WBC middleweight title and continue fighting at 154 pounds, a weight he says he still has no issues making. He has instead followed Cotto’s controversial lead and opted to defend the 160-pound championship at 155 pounds.

That has opened up the Mexican superstar to constant criticism, but Alvarez hasn’t allowed heavy scrutiny of his WBC middleweight championship reign to adversely affect him.

“There’s always gonna be critics,” said Alvarez, who emphasized several times that his fight against Golovkin eventually will happen. “They say one thing and then they change their mind, and they say another thing. There’s always gonna be critics. But that means that you’re succeeding, when there’s critics.”
            Cholos about to have their balls in a twist

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              LMAO this clown admits he moved back to 154 to avoid GGG.

From now on my weight will be 160, thats the weight we are working on and that should be the ideal weight...
              If anything this tells you he isnt looking to drain ggg, he could very well demand 157 or no fight just to have the advantage but he isnt...
              Why are you crying about this?
              He never said that was his ideal weight in the past , he is talking about the weight for present and future fights... and that isnt anything new, he already said before that the liam fight was his last fight at 154 and that he was heading to 160, how is this news?? But i get it , you dont hate him, you just dislike him doe...

Comment

Golovkin fans showing how dumb they are once again.

Things change, fighters change. You think Canelo is the same size now after training to fight at 164 as he was when he fought at 154/155?

Comment

Well yea everyone knew that for like 2 years now.

Comment

Golovkin fans have got to be the most ******ed fanbase. This is like when Ward said he could no longer make 168 after he moved up permanently to 175, these same ******s said he couldn't make it when he offered the fight to Lil G.

When fighters move up in weight they add muscle/weight ******s.

Comment

Originally posted by LOLffler View Post
                      Golovkin fans have got to be the most ******ed fanbase. This is like when Ward said he could no longer make 168 after he moved up permanently to 175, these same ******s said he couldn't make it when he offered the fight to Lil G.

When fighters move up in weight they add muscle/weight ******s.

Acording to some idiots here ward went to 175 cuz he was ducking ggg doe...

Comment

Working...
                      X