Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: How Much Might Forgettable Thurman-Garcia Fight Damage Future Viewership?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fights are like a lottery. Some are great, some that feel like they will be great can underwhelm. There is nothing anyone can do about it. I did not like the Kovalev vs Ward fight that much either. If neither fight has a rematch I will not lose sleep over it.

I am super hyped also over the Stevens vs Lemieux fight Saturday. It might turn out to be a war, or a stinker. It is just what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
      Thurman just won the biggest fight of his career in front of a huge audience and no one gives a crap.

this is why boxing can't build stars. These fighters think winning matters the most.

No, shining is what matters. Thurman won, but he sure didn't shine.
      That is the marketing aspect of the game of boxing. You have to look good in your wins, or make it look like some type of fight. In this article, Keith is making a comparison to the Porter fight, and if Thurman had a fight like the Porter fight he would come out better than he is.

Part of it is because of Garcia, but to me I didn't feel like Thurman was that much better. He could have had a 10-2 decision if he wanted, but gave away a few rounds because he "knew he won" already.

He had his shot to separate himself from other welterweights with an impressive win, and he didn't capitalize on it.

Comment

I prefer scintillating fights where both guys let their hands go to either force themselves on the other or close the show properly. Too many great matchups fail to deliver. Trinidad/Oscar, Thurman/Garcia are examples of decent but not great fights where one fighter tries to coast instead of imposing his will. DeGale and Jack produced a barnburner with skills, a smart war...thats what boxing fans want. GGG and Jacobs individually close the show in their fights. Both Charlos close the show properly. Hurd too. Spence too. Brook too. Mikey Garcia, Lom close the show. Miguel Berchelt.

Comment

Working...
        X