No announcement yet.

How good was Antonio Margarito?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Antonio Margarito?

How good was he really? He has a couple of losses to no-name fighters.

I see him as a slow, no-defense having plodder. If he was good, he wouldn't have had to resort to loading his gloves.

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post

I see him as a slow, no-defense having plodder. If he was good, he wouldn't have had to resort to loading his gloves.
    His stamina was impressive, as well as his chin, the loaded gloves are going to follow him forever.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
      His stamina was impressive, as well as his chin, the loaded gloves are going to follow him forever.
      Absolutely - he is the definition of tainted. It's a shame, he should have been remembered as a warrior - instead, he deserves to be remembered as a dirty cheat, and nothing else.

Comment

He had almost no skill, he had stamina and a good chin but after the loaded gloves scandal he had no power at all

Comment

He never loaded his gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
            He had stamina and a chin, but that's about all he had going for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
              He never loaded his gloves.
              What happened to his power after the Cotto fight? After he lost to Williams he was knocking everyone out, then BOOM!!! nothing

Comment

He had a good chin but most Mexicans do and good stamina...other than that he was a punching-bag, too easy to hit and was too big for his weight class.

Comment

He had stamina and a chin, but that's about all he had going for him.
                  Yeah, but you don't see guys throwing 1000 punches during a fight very often.

Comment

Very good at what he did. Excellent stamina, good chin & lots of heart. His technique was pretty basic though and he was a bit of a one-trick pony.

This idea that some fans have that he'd have given Mayweather his hardest fight is bizarre to me. He was far, far too slow (not to mention crude) to even get near to Mayweather. Back when Margarito was in his prime, Mayweather was closer to his prime too. Margarito's pressure just wasn't educated enough for that level of fighter.

Then there was the loaded gloves. We'll never know if he fought his whole career with a massive & illegal advantage. I just hope none of his opponents are suffering since - if he did use loaded wraps more than just the time he was caught.
                    Last edited by aretrospective; 03-08-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X