Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thurman vs. Garcia Ratings: SHO Breaks Down The Big Numbers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shows you how unpopular is Deontay Wilder. The heavyweight champ had not even half of that rating on FOX in his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
      It's good for boxing but PBC needs at least half this number on basic cable where its having trouble breaking in. I hope they continue the success of this and turn the corner financially because it's nice to have boxing on regular tv again, most fans on this site aren't old enough to remember what it was like when this was the norm.
      I'm not sold on the reported losses to be as significant as reported. What I do believe is that the investors into PBC have engaged in Wall Street trickery to get tax relief like Trump did. Which is why there have been zero corroborating stories or reports on the losses from people who actually see the books. Remember that GBP and Top Ranks entire court case was based largely on a premise that PBC was losing money intentionally to undermine them as promoters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankdestroyer View Post
        not me, at least not on these forums. But regarding that fight, how did their next ppvs do afterwards?
        Good point. Even though it's several factors that played into Floyds last ppv sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
          The biggest problem with boxing are the fans who've been brainwashed to kill a sport they love with blind negativity.

Fans have been as polarized as Dems and Republicans for the last 5-10 years with the Floyd- Manny and Haymon - Arum trash.

It finally seems like these competitive PBC/Showtime fights and the lack of HBO content is starting to unite fans around quality boxing.
          Honestly seems HBO boxing is folding tents. Canelo seems to be their only real star anymore with Joshua, Wilder, Spence, Thurman, etc all Showtime/PBC fighters. Canelo and GBP might be forced to PBC soon..

Comment

You wonder why Angel Garcia is having a sudden change of heart about that rematch ? They've got leverage for a bigger payday!

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
              Honestly seems HBO boxing is folding tents. Canelo seems to be their only real star anymore with Joshua, Wilder, Spence, Thurman, etc all Showtime/PBC fighters. Canelo and GBP might be forced to PBC soon..
              HBO will do the same thing they have always done. They will wait till a star arises, being built up by a promoter or another network, then pick 'em up when its evident they will rake in the money.
              These are the fighters that they currently feature
              Alvarez, Cotto, Crawford, Golovkin, Gonzalez, Kovalev, Lomachenko, Pacquiao, Ward.
              3 are the biggest draws in boxing, and 7 are listed on pretty much every pound for pound list. I think HBO has decided to only focus on televised fights that bring high viewership/action like Lemieux vs Stevens, and/or PPV draws (aside from Arum setting up Pac mismatches). As long as GBP and Top Rank continue to build stars, HBO will continue to buy them. Remains to be seen if they can get any deals done with PBC fighters, but for what it's worth, they already have Daniel Jacobs listed on their roster.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                This shows that people are still interested in boxing, as long as it's a good matchup.

As for the fight being underwhelming...hey, this is live sports. Sometimes that happens. Not every Super Bowl is awesome. Not every English Premier League match leaves the crowds breathless.

There's no sporting activity in the world that is exciting 100% of the time. We need to stop holding boxing to impossible standards.
                Co-sign.
                My thing is that too many people claim boxing is dying or its a niche sport. Maybe making the ring 10ft from now on would be a solution. Gives fighters less room to flee and theyll engage more? Im all for hit and dont get hit, but doing it in a 10ft ring would be dope

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  Hopefully the casuals weren't put off by the overhype and the way the second half of the fight was so pathetic with one fighter coasting and the other unwilling to risk anything to make the comeback happen.
                  The peak was during the 12th round which suggests that fans weren't turned off by the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
                    Co-sign.
                    My thing is that too many people claim boxing is dying or its a niche sport. Maybe making the ring 10ft from now on would be a solution. Gives fighters less room to flee and theyll engage more? Im all for hit and dont get hit, but doing it in a 10ft ring would be dope
                    I'm not sure a 10ft ring would work actually. I kinda think that fighters wouldn't let their hands go as much if they didn't have space to move into to avoid the counter.

Think about is this way - do guys trade more when they're near the ropes, or when they're at the centre of the ring?

Also, if you want evidence, BKB is basically this idea where they halved the area of the ring and made it into a circle. Just watch BKB 2 rosado vs stevens where two action fighters fought very cautiously despite being in 2 min rounds. Honestly, it makes Thurman - Garcia look much better.

Comment

This is great for Boxing!

Comment

Working...
                      X