No announcement yet.

Will Lomachenko be in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Lomachenko be in the HOF?

Even if his career is relatively short as a result of being in the amateurs for so long, do you think Lomachenko will be in the HOF when he retires? He's already tied the record for fewest fights to win a world title, and is the fastest fighter to win a title in 2 weight classes in history. He already has a solid resume, with wins over Walters, Martinez, and Russell Jr.

I think he's on the right track. If he beats Sosa and Corrales, then wins a title at 135, he'd be HOF worthy after he retires.

I don't know. Full acknowledgement to his already impressive career and accomplishments, but it's hard to even speculate about HoF with only 8 pro fights under his belt. I mean, there are a number of fighters who have won titles in multiple weight classes and aren't in the Hall of Fame. Saensak Muangsurin (the man who is tied with Loma for winning a World Title in their first 3 fights) isn't in the Hall of Fame. Plenty of guys had long, illustrious amateur careers and aren't in the Hall of Fame.

But at the end of the day, does it matter? How many people here, and I'm asking honestly, because this is a pretty hardcore fanbase for boxing, how many have bothered to go to the actual Hall of Fame in Canastota? I'd wager, not many. Because it doesn't matter. You think any boxer anywhere, when training, was doing so thinking about one day having their name and plaque hung on some wall? No. They were doing it to win bigger purses, and rack up championships and fans. It's a profession, and while once in a while it's nice to get all dressed up and clap for a retired guy who did a lot for a sport, it's not like the getting in the HoF is the defining moment of these guys' careers.

I doubt they'd put Loma in without at LEAST 25 fights, and he would have to continue to keep a winning percentage and not fall into obscurity. But he could have maybe 5 or 10 more fights and become one of the top marquee names of the sport, and I think that means more to the fighters - and their fans.

Comment

Its very early in his career, but he already has wins over 2 good fighters in 2 weight classes.

And the talent is there. I will say yes, barring something unexpected, he'll gather more good wins at 130, 135, possibly 140, and get to the HOF

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
        I don't know. Full acknowledgement to his already impressive career and accomplishments, but it's hard to even speculate about HoF with only 8 pro fights under his belt. I mean, there are a number of fighters who have won titles in multiple weight classes and aren't in the Hall of Fame. Saensak Muangsurin (the man who is tied with Loma for winning a World Title in their first 3 fights) isn't in the Hall of Fame. Plenty of guys had long, illustrious amateur careers and aren't in the Hall of Fame.

But at the end of the day, does it matter? How many people here, and I'm asking honestly, because this is a pretty hardcore fanbase for boxing, how many have bothered to go to the actual Hall of Fame in Canastota? I'd wager, not many. Because it doesn't matter. You think any boxer anywhere, when training, was doing so thinking about one day having their name and plaque hung on some wall? No. They were doing it to win bigger purses, and rack up championships and fans. It's a profession, and while once in a while it's nice to get all dressed up and clap for a retired guy who did a lot for a sport, it's not like the getting in the HoF is the defining moment of these guys' careers.

I doubt they'd put Loma in without at LEAST 25 fights, and he would have to continue to keep a winning percentage and not fall into obscurity. But he could have maybe 5 or 10 more fights and become one of the top marquee names of the sport, and I think that means more to the fighters - and their fans.
        I think loma will get in the hall of fame when its all said and done. he's only 29 so we have a long way to go barring some unforeseen incident.I have been to the IBHOF and I will be going again in march its nice up there. of course the hall of fame matters boxing has long and rich history.

Comment

i think he will or should considering his amateur history...those quickest to whatever records are dubious at best though....i still dont get how the media is blatantly ignoring that fightfax is the official record keeper for the US and world organizations...

Comment

Hell yes he will be in the hall of fame. He is much better fighter than many of the boxers who are in the hall of fame. Only a very early retirement from boxing could keep him out.

Comment

Originally posted by SensFullViolenc View Post
              Its very early in his career, but he already has wins over 2 good fighters in 2 weight classes.

And the talent is there. I will say yes, barring something unexpected, he'll gather more good wins at 130, 135, possibly 140, and get to the HOF
              Yeah i think way too early..he needs more big wins under his belt for sure.

Comment

He should get into the boxing HOF based on his amateur resume alone.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                  Even if his career is relatively short as a result of being in the amateurs for so long, do you think Lomachenko will be in the HOF when he retires? He's already tied the record for fewest fights to win a world title, and is the fastest fighter to win a title in 2 weight classes in history. He already has a solid resume, with wins over Walters, Martinez, and Russell Jr.

I think he's on the right track. If he beats Sosa and Corrales, then wins a title at 135, he'd be HOF worthy after he retires.
                  What about fighting Guillermo Rigondeaux??
                  Last edited by j.razor; 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X