Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo: Golovkin is Asking For More Than He Deserves!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo & Co. are asking for GGG to accept a proposal that is pretty much unprecedented, just so they can cream the PPV revenue - since they got a taste of that Floyd money once upon a time.

How many of you would accept the terms of an employment contract that completely go against the established terms in your industry? In a sport full of percentage based income, Canelo is asking GGG to cap his own earning potential, for Canelo's benefit.

It's incredible the amount of hurdles Canelo forces other people to jump through. In a sport that's been around for so long, and that has had so many diva's..this guy takes the cake.

I wouldn't be surprised if that b*tch puts a condition on the weight of pen GGG can use to sign papers with.
    Last edited by KillaCamNZ; 02-12-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• They know he's worth more than that. They know he's worthy of a %. That's where Arum and Schaefer are coming from, they know the score.

If they didn't think that, then they wouldn't of started out with that figure. They didn't pluck it from the air. It's a starting point.
      They are not going to be 'generous' straight from the bat, that's not how these guys make money. If they can try it on and get someone to accept less than required, of course they are gonna' try it.

No one is agreeing to fight terms before they face/beat Jacobs/Chavez, as those fights effect the future terms.

Comment

• Exactly How Floyd Waited Manny Out

Offer an absurd amount for the biggest fight in boxing and count on him to turn it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
          Exactly How Floyd Waited Manny Out

Offer an absurd amount for the biggest fight in boxing and count on him to turn it down.
          Floyd agreed to a 50/50 purse split against Pacquiao, actually.

But Pac walked away just because he was asked to drug test.

Comment

• Canelo
            The watered down mayweather
            Same diva attitude
            Minus the skill level

The biggest boxing fights are now fought in negotiations

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
              But they're basing this off interest and potential.

If you evaluate them separately, then Golovkin would only be worth probably a 10% to Canelo.

But there are projections that this PPV could do huge numbers, and obviously Golovkin will have something to do with that as he's clearly not just another Liam Smith type opponent. So they don't want to get short changed when they're also going to be responsible for contributing a great deal to the PPV numbers.
              Floyd and Oscar had PPV fights before their showdown, the split was negotiated on the front end do to what each guy had shown, the fight was agreed to, and both guys did their darnedest to make the event as big as possible (for them to split on the back end).

Floyd was clearly one of the sports best fighters, but the fight was split according to starpower and what was needed to make the fight (3:1 Oscar split on the money, with Oscar having his way on every other term).

I don't see why Golovkin is expected to act any different.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Floyd and Oscar had PPV fights before their showdown, the split was negotiated on the front end do to what each guy had shown, the fight was agreed to, and both guys did their darnedest to make the event as big as possible (for them to split on the back end).

Floyd was clearly one of the sports best fighters, but the fight was split according to starpower and what was needed to make the fight (3:1 Oscar split on the money, with Oscar having his way on every other term).

I don't see why Golovkin is expected to act any different.
                I don't see it either. What makes him think that he has enough pull to do that?

It's like he is exempt to what Floyd went through against Oscar, what B-Hop went through against Oscar, what Canelo took for the Floyd fight, and what he took for the Cotto fight. Crazy

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  OK that's fine, 40% of the HBO ppv should do it. It's huge savings vs the flat fee for GBP. What's the problem?
                  Alvarez doesn't want Golovkin taking anything off of his pie, to be blunt about it.

The upfront fee may be at a premium for Golovkin, but Alvarez seems happy to pay that premium if it means that he, himself gets to keep all of the back-end money.

What Alvarez has made it entirely clear that he's not going to do (outside of Floyd or Cotto) is split the backend of the money with any other fighter at this point.

Take the payday or not, Alvarez is going to follow up his May fight with Chavez Jr with a big PPV in September, with out without Golovkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
                    Do I think Canelo is afraid of a GGG showdown? No. Do I think he's stalling and trying to take advantage of the near decade age gap between the two? Yep. Do I support what he's doing? Nope. Do I feel bad for GGG? Absolutely not.

I lost the ability to feel bad for Gennady in this situation when he played the A-side/B-side game with Ward. As a fight fan, I wanna see this fight sooner rather than later. GGG really has no leverage in negotiations with Canelo. Canelo was part of a then record breaking PPV event. He's gone on to do good numbers with unknown opposition. He's probably gonna do good numbers with Chavez Jr, as disgusting as that farce is. GGG's only hope is to do big numbers with Jacobs, which I doubt he will. I hope the show does well, even though I won't be ordering. To me its not a PPV quality fight. But if GGG-Jacobs does well, he'll gain leverage in the Canelo negotiations. If it bombs, or is significantly outdone by Canelo-Chavez Jr. GGG is seriously gonna have to consider bending over and doing whatever he has to do to get Canelo in the ring.
                    My thoughts exactly. Trinidad, Pac, and Mayweather had to bend over for Oscar. And all of their careers took off after. 10 fold or more. GGG should take what he can to make the fight, then really bank later. I see this as a 50/50 fight, and even if he loses, his career will take off. Especially if it is close, and there is a rematch, which I think will be the case. If I am wrong about a close fight, and GGG beats Canelo easy, His stock rises even higher, and won't need big names to get big money. If GGG is as great as most people think, this deal is an acceptable risk, because of the high reward.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardt View Post
                      You're missing the point. A number of people high in the sport said a flat fee is a BS offer! I'll take them over these Bscene as of last night financial experts. I pretty ***ing certain GGG's financial team and management know more about boxing contracts and money and these wannabes here wouldnt know a boxing contract if they got a massive papercut from one.
                      Saul Alvarez brought a country behind him, with a pretty well confirmed status as a draw in his own right, and didn't end up making $15m from his fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

People are so hung up on the "flat fee" that they're deliberately ignoring the fact that Saul Alvarez has offered to pay Golovkin at least TEN MILLION DOLLARS to have the fight at his full preferred weight, lol.

Arum and Marquez have been at odds with Alvarez for well before the Golovkin talks were even a thing, with their opinions taken accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                      X