Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Canelo vs Golovkin surpass 1.5 million PPV buys?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off idk that this fight is actually going to happen in September with how little I believe Oscar wants to make this fight. I think Oscar will try to throw together a rematch with Cotto, a fight with Lemiuex or if Chavez can make things interesting a rematch with him.

Second I think both guys' next fight could enhance their PPV presence making a fight between them bigger than it might have been without their next fights. I also think both guys' next fight could damage their PPV presence with subpar performances or upsets so I think what the PPV floor & ceiling is right now could be entirely different after GGG's March fight & Canelo's May fight. Or it could even completely kill the PPV for the foreseeable future if not indefinitely.

All that said I think it would probably do 800k-1.2M buys if it was the next fight for them.

Comment

ggg's the most popular fighter in boxing and canelo is popular in his own right in mexico. i would say 5 million buys

Comment

Originally posted by KOVALEVKO View Post
        Do you think Canelo vs GGG in September 2017 will surpass 1.5 million PPV buys?
        Alvarez vs Golovkin won't end up doing 1m PPV buys, let alone talk of 1.5m PPV buys. why are folks so deluded?

regardless of price point, in the history of boxing on PPV, take a look at the events that were able to break 1m PPV buys; Holyfield-Foreman, Tyson vs McNeely/Bruno/Seldon, Tyson-Holyfield I and II, Holyfield-Lewis, Oscar-Trinidad, Lewis-Tyson, Oscar-Floyd, Oscar-Pacquiao, Cotto-Pacquiao, Floyd-Pacquiao, Floyd-Alvarez, Pacquiao-Marquez IV, Floyd-Cotto, Pacquiao-Marquez III, Floyd-Ortiz, Floyd-Mosley, Pacquiao-Mosley, Pacquiao-Margarito.

In all of the instances you either had a massive superstar drawing the attention, or you had two star fighters facing off in a competitive fight.

Alvarez has yet to crossover into that "massive star" category, and there are open questions whether Golovkin is even a star in his own right just yet.

Comment

Every true fight fan will want to see this fight as it happens.

Comment

Between 750 and 900k, about the same as Floyd/Hatton.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              ggg's the most popular fighter in boxing and canelo is popular in his own right in mexico. i would say 5 million buys
              HBO forced Mexicans to buy American based PPV through some strange internet portal based in Africa, and Lemieux's legitimate and official ''HBO Canada'' 97k PPV protocol had nothing to do with Canadians ordering PPV.... and Matchroom forced worldwide PPV buys for the Brook UK protocol.

Those circumstances alone are so definitive which is why PPV for the Wade bout was not necessary. Because Golovkin could do 300K against Wade, HBO decided that extra money wouldn'T make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Graz View Post
                Every true fight fan will want to see this fight as it happens.
                It's the casuals that will push the numbers, a lot of true fans will be looking for streams.

I think it could get to the 1 million mark but 1.5 is optimistic but then again truthfully you never know until the number comes in.

Comment

I don't see it hitting a million.

Comment

I think it has a good chance of doing so.

Comment

It won't sell as many as the Cotto fight.

Maybe 800,000.

Comment

Working...
                      X