Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez with good knees vs Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, this "good knees" reasoning that some people say about Martinez is a cop-out because Cotto was also a damaged fighter, ex. Margarito fight.

It was a battle between two washed-up, shopworn fighters. It's just that one always had the skills and the other was always overrated, that's why Cotto won.

Cotto was always the better fighter and he'd beat Martinez 10 out of 10 times, prime or otherwise.

Comment

Some of Cottos punches didn't even land and Sergio was all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatDude44 View Post
        I didn't hear any of these excuses before the fight.
        I don't think anybody knew that Martinez couldn't stand up straight. At the start of the first bell I said to myself WTF...Martinez can't even stand strong.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
          Lol Martinez gets outclassed again. Dude never fought anyone close to the skill of Cotto. But whatever makes his fans feel better. Big slow guys is who Martinez specialized against.
          Paul Williams and Pavlik would both destroy Cotto. I mean truth to be told Martinez landed 1 punch with Williams and beat him, and Pavlik was a REAL middleweight and would destroy Cotto rather easily, but hey.

Comment

Sergio's all round speed and power would have been very tough for Cotto to handle. Sergio always had a leaky defence, but he had a good gas tank, he had great reflexes, he was accurate, and he could hit hard. I struggle to see Cotto handling him, despite Cotto probably having the better fundamental boxing skills.

Comment

The sergio martinez that fought pavlik and williams would have ended Cottos Career. That fight was sad

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
                No, this "good knees" reasoning that some people say about Martinez is a cop-out because Cotto was also a damaged fighter, ex. Margarito fight.

It was a battle between two washed-up, shopworn fighters. It's just that one always had the skills and the other was always overrated, that's why Cotto won.

Cotto was always the better fighter and he'd beat Martinez 10 out of 10 times, prime or otherwise.
                it was a battle between a handicapped man and an able bodied man.

Comment

Sergio with one good knee beats Cotto but Lord Golovkin beats both on the same night in the same ring, all heil Lord Golovkin the best that ever was and the best that has ever been the current pound for pound no.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
                    The Sergio Martinez who fought Paul Williams or Kelly Pavlik @ middleweight vs Cotto...Is the outcome different?

Cotto's style isn't for taller, athletic guys. I think its a possibility that Martnez stops him in the 8-11th.
                    Sergio had good knees when Margarito kicked his ass.

Comment

honestly, cotto's style always gives problems to martinez. he can box well enough, jab well enough. i think he'd hit martinez, who was honestly not as hard to hit as a lot of people make him out to be.

still, martinez was durable enough to outlast spurts from chavez and freaking kelly pavlik. he had the power to put iron chinned paul williams into a downward slide and start the end of his career. and of course the big issue would be the speed and length. martinez was about as fast at 154 as anytbody i have seen. at 160 he was a bit older, but FFS the guy was a freaking gifted athlete.

what's cotto really going to do? box better than anticipated, hit martinez with some stuff, but martinez is going to come back.

late knockout. some fun rounds, but by the end we'd all know who the winner was going to be.

now, if these two were the same size and in their primes cotto would knock him out. styles make fights. if he didn't give up half a foot in reach and several inches in height and several natural lbs cotto would be too much for martinez.

Comment

Working...
                      X