Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Where would he rank?

From the title I understand that u mean him vs any of the heavyweights from today in a fight, and my opinion goes like this: if it's a top 10 list then he'd rank at number 10, if it's a top 20 list then he'd rank at number 20. Jack Dempsey was great for his time but he was too crude for any normal sized B level heavyweight that came after him.

The game has evolved soo much for fighters from that era to be competitive with fighters from the modern era. With Demsey's heart, power and natural ability he could've been a serious force in today's time had he gotten the right training and guidance, but the Jack Dempsey from his era stands no chance.
    Last edited by Dip_Slide; 01-13-2017, 02:22 PM.
    Zaroku Zaroku moneytheman Ascended like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
      From the title I understand that u mean him vs any of the heavyweights from today in a fight, and my opinion goes like this: if it's a top 10 list then he'd rank at number 10, if it's a top 20 list then he'd rank at number 20. Jack Dempsey was great for his time but he was too crude for any normal sized B level heavyweight that came after him.

The game has evolved soo much for fighters from that era to be competitive with fighters from the modern era. With Demsey's heart, power and natural ability he could've been a serious force in today's time had he gotten the right training and guidance, but the Jack Dempsey from his era stands no chance.
      Couldn't somebody use that same arguement against Ray Robinson and Joe Louis?
      Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Couldn't you say the same thing about Joe Louis?

Comment

Dempsey was a Bob & Weave fighter.

That's a lost art that this era's heavies can't cope with.

He'd kill these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
            Where would he rank?
            Undisputed Champion

Today's fighters can't deal with that Bob & Weave style.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
              Undisputed Champion

Today's fighters can't deal with that Bob & Weave style.
              A fight between him and Wilder would be close.

Comment

Couldn't you say the same thing about Joe Louis?
                I always say it and I've brought it up in the history section a few years back. Boxers today are better in every aspect but it doesn't mean you can't rank the old generation no. 1 in a subjective P4P list.
                What you can't knock is the history behind some of those fights. I mean Joe vs Max how can any HW bouts from today compare to that. America vs Nazi Germany, these guys were fighting for countries. Everything is watered down now adays, we had Tyson Montana vs Dr Steelhammer.
                As for Dempsey if you teleported him from back in time then he'd probably be KO'd by Amir Mansour.

Comment

A fight between him and Wilder would be close.
                  I don't see how.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                    I always say it and I've brought it up in the history section a few years back. Boxers today are better in every aspect but it doesn't mean you can't rank the old generation no. 1 in a subjective P4P list.
                    What you can't knock is the history behind some of those fights. I mean Joe vs Max how can any HW bouts from today compare to that. America vs Nazi Germany, these guys were fighting for countries. Everything is watered down now adays, we had Tyson Montana vs Dr Steelhammer.
                    As for Dempsey if you teleported him from back in time then he'd probably be KO'd by Amir Mansour.

Dr Steelhamer couldn't even handle Ross Purrity..lol

Boxing has regressed....any fool can see.

Comment

Working...
                    X