No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Today's Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Your sarcastic questions are irrelevant to the match ups in the discussion.

We are talking about boxers from the 1920s and you ask a question about boxers who are actually pretty modern. Robinson fought into the 60s, Ali into the early 80s, and Foreman the youngest one there became HW champ in the 90s.

At least try.
    The argument many are making is that boxing has evolved over the years so modern fighters will defeat fighters from other eras. I just don't see this evolution you guys are talking about Joshua, Wilder, Fury, Wlad are not as skilled as Dempsey, Ali, Louis, or Tunney. Yet, many will pick Wilder to Beat Dempsey, Tunney, Foreman, and Ali. Boxing isn't like basketball or football where the "evolution" argument could be made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
      Boxing isn't like basketball or football where the "evolution" argument could be made.
      Except that you can literally see it in their stances, keeping their hands low, chin up and head back when they punch (like when you see a street fight between two people who are aggressive but don't know how to fight), and finally the way they plant their feet is different as well.

It's not something I can continue arguing, because the footage shows what I mean, and if you watch the videos and decide that boxers move and fight and throw punches the same today then this discussion has to end here, we'll have to agree to disagree.
      moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

We are talking about boxers from the 1920s and you ask a question about boxers who are actually pretty modern. Robinson fought into the 60s, Ali into the early 80s, and Foreman the youngest one there became HW champ in the 90s.

At least try.
        Its almost like arguing with scenile and delusional revisionists .....isnt it?

Im not really sure the purpose of this thread other than exploiting more fools with beer goggles on or people who are high?
        moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          I've proved my point already. We're going round in full circle. Compared to now a days they're stiff & primitive. The video says it all, he was good for his time but a bum compared to today's standard.

Pivot beats the shift. It's not one or the other. GGG shifting is a myth that you're perpetuating. You're telling me the great Dempsey used this skill, then it was forgotten over time only to be revived by a Soviet system Fighter who received a Silver medal. So much nonsense you're spouting.

Are you telling me Toney then later Floyd didn't effectively parry & counter shots with their Philly Shell?. Again, fighters may have used that technique before hand but guess who refined & mastered it.

Heavyweights from now put Heavyweights from back then into a coma. & any elite Boxer from now a days would destroy any from Dempsey's era. The games evolved. If you can't accept it then YOU don't know what you're watching.
          Boxing has evolved, but it doesn't progress in the same way that other sports do.

Great fighters are great fighters.

You could take the greatest fighters of all time and you could drop them into any era. They would all have been successful.

You have said that any of today's top fighters would have destroyed any fighter from Dempsey's era. But that statement is completely ignorant.

The best fighters of Dempsey's era were:

Gene Tunney
          Benny Leonard
          Jimmy Wilde
          Harry Greb

I've done a lot of research over the years, and they were great fighters.

There's no evidence to support the theory that it would be a given that they would be destroyed today.
          Last edited by robertzimmerman; 06-30-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYG View Post
            He was 6'1 so any good HW would beat him with distance and use their height advantage. Tyson Fury would completely embarass him and Wilder would knock his head off. Joshua looks like the one that would almost get KOd since he doesnt seem to know what he's doing in the ring as much but he would probably win. HW are much bigger and stronger today. 6'1 is like SMW, LHW size
            Wilder is crude. He'd only have knocked his head off if he'd have landed the perfect punch. What do you mean Joshua looks as though he doesn't know what he's doing? Have you got Joshua and Wilder mixed up?

You can't just dismiss him as a threat based on his height alone. That's ridiculous. A guy of his size, with his attributes, would be hard for a big guy to time. That's why Frazier and Tyson were successful.

Comment

It's like watching old basketball games from the 1950s and 1960s, where the players were amazed when a black player dunked. It's obviously so much different now, you see the difference in athleticism in NBA players now compared to back then, it's a no contest.

Boxing is no different than basketball in that regard, athleticism today is different. Back in those times boxing was mostly white Americans, with Irish, Italians, Jewish who were poor, and some blacks sprinkled here and there of course. Boxing has always been a poor man's sport and those were the poor at the time. They dominated the sport just like whites dominated professional basketball in a certain era.
              You can't compare other sports with boxing.

Again, the best fighters of all time could compete in any era.

Ray Robinson's prime was 70 years ago.

I'm sure he'd do just fine at WW today.

Comment

At least try.
                The top fighters of the 20's:

Dempsey
                Tunney
                Leonard
                Wilde
                Greb

Comment

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                  Its almost like arguing with scenile and delusional revisionists .....isnt it?

Im not really sure the purpose of this thread other than exploiting more fools with beer goggles on or people who are high?
                  The only person who has been exploited here, is you.

Great fighters could compete in any eras.

Are you going to list the top 20 HW's of today who would have destroyed Dempsey?

Comment

• Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
                    Wilder is crude. He'd only have knocked his head off if he'd have landed the perfect punch. What do you mean Joshua looks as though he doesn't know what he's doing? Have you got Joshua and Wilder mixed up?

You can't just dismiss him as a threat based on his height alone. That's ridiculous. A guy of his size, with his attributes, would be hard for a big guy to time. That's why Frazier and Tyson were successful.
                    Joshua just doesnt look like a boxer. He looks clumsy in the ring and i dont think he is very good. My opinion

And back then, HWs were smaller. You think Frazier and M Tyson will run through guys like Wilder and Fury? I honestly dont even think they would land a punch

Comment

• Originally posted by NYG View Post
                      Joshua just doesnt look like a boxer. He looks clumsy in the ring and i dont think he is very good. My opinion

And back then, HWs were smaller. You think Frazier and M Tyson will run through guys like Wilder and Fury? I honestly dont even think they would land a punch
                      This has got to be up there with worst post of the month by far..WOW.......

Comment

Working...
                      X