Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Sport To Enter The Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Arena

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Sport To Enter The Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Arena

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...-McGregor.html

Eddie Hearn is in discussions over a shock move into mixed martial arts.

The boxing promoter confirmed to Sportsmail that he has held conversations with broadcasters and organisations to explore the possibility of entering the sport which spawned the immensely popular UFC franchise.

Hearn is keen to develop MMA in Britain after admitting his 'eyes had been opened by Conor McGregor's popularity'.

He told Sportsmail: 'It is true it's something I am considering. It is very early to say if I will get involved but I am looking at it.

'Obviously my company, Matchroom, has extensive and long experience in combat sports through boxing so it is an area we understand.

'At the moment I am talking to a few people and broadcasters to see what is what and whether it is something to get into.'

Citing the UFC, which staged major shows in London, Manchester and Belfast in 2016, he added: 'Look how huge the UFC is in the US. Personally, I'm not sure if the UFC has fully satisfied the demand in the UK for mixed martial arts.

'For any sport to thrive it has to be driven by talent and personalities and I'm sure they exist. I feel we have a solid relationship with fight fans and while my heart and soul remains in boxing, I think those fans would be interested to take a look if we made a move.

'Like anyone, I've had my eyes opened to by Conor McGregor, his stature and his popularity. It is incredible. I think the appetite for MMA in general in Britain is very big right now.

'So it is something I want to take a good look at and we will see if anything comes from it.'

no other word than traitor

Comment

Eddie should work with Cage Warriors, but if he thinks he's going to find enough talent to draw to the same levels as the UFC, he's going to lose alot of money - unless he can convince his stable of boxers to take on mma matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
        Eddie should work with Cage Warriors, but if he thinks he's going to find enough talent to draw to the same levels as the UFC, he's going to lose alot of money - unless he can convince his stable of boxers to take on mma matches.
        I don't know all the dynamics in play with MMA in the UK, but I've heard more than one pundit say there is a bigger demand for MMA in the UK than the supply of shows so I think there is very likely a market for more MMA in the UK that Matchroom could capitalize off of.

Competing with the UFC or even Bellator is a whole other thing doe & I'd assume there isn't much of a goal to get to a point of meeting or surpassing what the UFC or Bellator is doing.

I definitely think there are many openings in the MMA world in many countries, maybe the UK too, which could garner an audience & income thus being profitable operations without needing to be as big as the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I don't know all the dynamics in play with MMA in the UK, but I've heard more than one pundit say there is a bigger demand for MMA in the UK than the supply of shows so I think there is very likely a market for more MMA in the UK that Matchroom could capitalize off of.

Competing with the UFC or even Bellator is a whole other thing doe & I'd assume there isn't much of a goal to get to a point of meeting or surpassing what the UFC or Bellator is doing.

I definitely think there are many openings in the MMA world in many countries, maybe the UK too, which could garner an audience & income thus being profitable operations without needing to be as big as the UFC.

I can believe the consumer demand is there, I just question the supply of quality fighters. UFC, Bellator, and Risen have most of the fighters, it'll be hard for Eddie to market any names on his own.

He'll have to build up guys from scratch at a loss, even then they'll be low quality fighters, anytime he gets a decent fighter they could leave for bigger money. He's not going to get SKY on board unless he has a quality product. Maybe he can start by doing hybrid shows - boxing/mma.

I know UFC & Bellator already have infrastructures in the UK and likely don't need to work with Hearns (conflicting tv deals), that's why I mentioned Cage Warriors. They have an existing roster, they just need a stronger infrastructure which Hearns can offer.

Comment

Clearly a bad move. MMA just isn't as marketable unfortunately due to the barbaric look of the cage. MMA is doing pretty well on a grass root level but the money isn't there at the top in terms of a regional level.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
              I can believe the consumer demand is there, I just question the supply of quality fighters. UFC, Bellator, and Risen have most of the fighters, it'll be hard for Eddie to market any names on his own.
              I'd argue there's always guys on the way up. There are always guys who can become local or regional names on every level. Plus MMA isn't like boxing with the names. Its more about entertaining fans & competition. You can entertain fans with two guys you pull out of a local gym & eventually names get built.

Maybe he can start by doing hybrid shows - boxing/mma.
              I hate that idea. I think the sports are too different for hybrid shows. Although maybe UK boxing fans are more open to MMA then US boxing fans are so I just might be out of the loop.

I know UFC & Bellator already have infrastructures in the UK and likely don't need to work with Hearns (conflicting tv deals)
              I don't think Hearn will be under any delusion about doing business with the UFC or Bellator out of the gate or necessarily at all. That said I do feel like if I was the UFC I'd be looking to have a more structured farm system with leagues all over the world to be able to groom talent better & protect them from being sniped by competitors like Bellator or Rizen so maybe there is the potential to be a B league for the UFC at some point.

For sure I don't think Hearn can create a UFC, Bellator or Rizen caliber league that will be mentioned with those top 3 leagues at some future date with the also rans of those leagues or by finding talent without getting them sniped before they reach their peak popularity out of this proposed Matchroom league.

Honestly the more I think of this the more I think Hearn will decide to not attempt a MMA league as the upside probably won't be up to par with what they'd want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                For sure I don't think Hearn can create a UFC, Bellator or Rizen caliber league that will be mentioned with those top 3 leagues
                Hearn will never reach the lofty status of Rizen

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
                  Hearn will never reach the lofty status of Rizen
                  I don't think so either like I said

It is arguable Rizen is #3 in the game I'll admit. WSOF, ONE & hell even Invicta have arguments for #3, Rizen is just my opinion cuz of what they've done in a short period of time & the Pride guy started it after his non-compete clause ended & he's intelligent at making things fan friendly.

Comment

Good, very wise business move If he chooses to do this but it will be hard to compete with the UFC but I definitely hope he can make a successful move on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X