No announcement yet.

Bob Arum: “Orlando Salido chickened out on the Lomachenko rematch"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Arum: “Orlando Salido chickened out on the Lomachenko rematch"

Those hoping for a sequel to Vasyl Lomachenko’s close loss to Orlando Salido in 2014 will have to wait after promoter Bob Arum accused Salido of getting cold feet for a rematch.

“Orlando Salido chickened out,” Arum told ******.com on Tuesday. “It’s the only way to say it. He asked for crazy money. We agreed to the crazy money. And then he says, ‘No.’ He’d just assume not take the fight. Why? Because he knows he can’t beat (Lomachenko). It was a fluke the first time. So, there’s no other way to paint it. Orlando Salido chickened out of the fight because whatever his demands were, we met those financial demands and then he let us know he’s not interested in the fight.”

Sean Gibbons, who manages Salido, laughed off Arum’s comments, saying the negotiations just fell apart and that no one got cold feet. “Using Orlando’s name and chicken in the same sentence — that’s ludicrous,” Gibbons said in a phone interview. “Olando has never chickened out of any fight. We had good talks with Bob. I thought we had come to some kind of an agreement. It just didn’t seem to work. Orlando Salido wants to give the fans the fights they want. And I don’t hear any fans clamoring for Salido-Lomachenko.”

Gibbons believes fans would rather see a rematch of the June 4 war involving 130-pound titleholder Francisco Vargas and Salido than against Lomachenko, who lost a split decision to an overweight Salido in a rough, physical affair. “Things didn’t work out,” Gibbons said. “Orlando voiced to me, ‘Hey, why do I want to fight a guy in Lomachenko who I know is going to run, grab and hold when I can go Mexican-to-Mexican with Francisco Vargas and give the people what they really want see. The only guys who want to see Lomachenko — are Lomachenko.”

Arum declined to get into specifics on Salido’s demands and Gibbons also declined to get into dollar amounts. As a result, Lomachenko (7-1, 5 knockouts) will look for another opponent for the first quarter of 2017 on HBO, which is considering dates in March or April for the gifted Ukrainian 130-pound titleholder. “Lomachenko will fight in March,” Arum said. “Carl (Moretti, VP of Top Rank) is looking for an opponent and we’re looking toward the end of March.”

Salido, for his part, is chasing the rematch with Vargas and won’t know his plans until after Jan. 28, when Vargas defends his junior lightweight title against Miguel Berchelt, according to Gibbons.

http://www.******.com/479067-arum-ac...WOhLQM.twitter

Ducklido 🦆

Comment

It's obvious what happened here...

Salido wants to 'double dip'. He wants to fight Vargas again, and he knows that win or lose the Lomachenko fight will always be there.

If He rematches with Lomachenko right now he would get badly beat up and wont be able to get that Vargas rematch coming off a loss.

At his age, I don't really blame him for going that route. But he knows what's up. He knows he's not going to have the same success in the rematch with Loma and that will likely end up being his retirement fight anyway.

Comment

Well there you have it folks. Pretty much everyone is a chicken in this sport. So long as you don't follow orders from Bob Arum or the fans on Boxing Scene.

Comment

Sean Gibbons, who manages Salido, laughed off Arum’s comments, saying the negotiations just fell apart and that no one got cold feet. “Using Orlando’s name and chicken in the same sentence — that’s ludicrous,” Gibbons said in a phone interview. “Olando has never chickened out of any fight. We had good talks with Bob. I thought we had come to some kind of an agreement. It just didn’t seem to work. Orlando Salido wants to give the fans the fights they want. And I don’t hear any fans clamoring for Salido-Lomachenko.”

Sounds like a duck. To think some haters were saying Loma was the one that was gonna duck, not much here but in youtube some of the videos people make and comments about certain fighters is worse then anything said in NSB.

Comment

Orlandito didnt sound to urgent for that rematch, if you recall he fought a super green Lomachenko what was this his 2nd pro fight lol, nothing to really be proud of plus he was overweight commiting a horrible boxing sin, not making weight, and had a huge size advatnage and even fought dirty, and in the last two rounds Lomachenko was coming on strong and was hurting Salido.

I think Loma knocks him out in the rematch, Arum even agreed tot he crazy money and Salido said no? wow

Comment

I'd like to see the rematch for sure... If they met his demands even as his manager says then why not take the fight?

Comment

Sounds to me like Salido tried to price himself out of the fight, and had to backtrack when his bluff got called.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                  I'd like to see the rematch for sure... If they met his demands even as his manager says then why not take the fight?
                  According to his manager its not the fight fans want to see.

Comment

That's a clear cut duck right there. Salido is gonna take a couple of losses, retire, but will still say "well I beat a guy who's at the top of a P4P list".

Comment

Working...
                    X