Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If PBC had belts would you respect / acknowlege them over the Alpphabet titles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately, none of the 3 options in that poll suit me

I would shun the PBC "opinion"..... just as I do the multitude of other "opinions".....

none of the existing "opinions" are definitive

none of the existing opinions can/should be rated over another

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Hell man I kinda shun all the belts now more or less. I try not to use the particular alphabet groups letters as often as I can avoid doing so. I tend to call guys "title holders" in disputed divisions & merely refer to the #1 guy as "the champion" in undisputed or lesser disputed divisions.

That said I couldn't support the PBC or anyone else creating a new belt just to add a new belt like the 4 other belts. Thats not to say that I couldn't foresee someone doing something, even PBC, upon coming onto the scene with a new belt that could usurp the current alphabet groups that would be worth supporting. I just don't see that likely to be coming down the pipeline by PBC or anyone else anytime soon. And I'm not exactly sure what the blueprint would be with the current convoluted landscape in boxing to ultimately usurp the 4 alphabet groups either so that'd be the bigger problem I suppose for any potential coup that would need to take place to have my support.

GOOD post !

Comment

They would be like any other belt it depends on what the guy does that makes the belt have meaning.

Say Jacobs is the PBC middleweight champion based on the Quillin fight. That is nice but it really doesn't mean anything since Golovkin is considered the man. Now if he went on to beat Golovkin and dumped all the other belts in the trash that PBC belt would have a lot of meaning, but over time unless he was able to fight high quality opposition it would lose meaning as more people would claim Jacobs was hiding out in PBC.

I will say this PBC belts make sense on a certain level because it would denote the best PBC guy in a class. Given their set-up that is something that would be rather meaningful and something for their guys to shoot for and talk up. They still run into the above issue unless Haymon controls most of the sport which would be really hard to do, but if the guys give the belt meaning other guys will want to beat them to show theya re better than the PBC guy.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
          nope, that would be just another worthless title

" titles "..... are just opinions

opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one

the worst problem within boxing is the fact that we have multiple sanctioning bodies, but it would take something special to fix it

you are definitely onto something, but I think it is too late

because I am aware that is the problem, a potential solution has been obvious for some time.....

an organisation would have to literally buy the existing belts from the fighters and burn them, contracting the champions (and most of the top10 in each division) to the new organisation..... which would take a considerable financial commitment

a partnership between Haymon and Hoya, using The Ring as the governing body, would likely be the only conceivable option that I could imagine of late..... but, highly unlikely

they would have to get at least the 2 major boxing commissions on board (likely as overseer's)..... they would have to notify the 4 official sanctioning organisations that they are now defunct..... and they would have to inform all of the fighters that there is now only one belt that matters.....

..... and at the same time they would need to secure every available television date and compose a new regulated format and a great marketing campaign

it could be correct to say that any single governing body > having 4 separate en****** control the sport..... no matter who that single governing body is..... because they would have to play it on the level if they want to succeed

it could not compete alongside the 4 existing bodies, it would actually have to replace them

Comment

I kind of wish they did a league type thing with the PBC.

What I think would be cool is do something like split the sport into 2 separate leagues. PBC and everyone else, or PBC and some other league. Have the boxers box in their own leagues. Then at one point have their champions face each other. So it would almost be a super bowl type match up, where it's NFC vs AFC. Except in this, it would be the best of PBC vs the other league.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
              I kind of wish they did a league type thing with the PBC.
              They will. Eventually.

What I think would be cool is do something like split the sport into 2 separate leagues. PBC and everyone else, or PBC and some other league. Have the boxers box in their own leagues. Then at one point have their champions face each other. So it would almost be a super bowl type match up, where it's NFC vs AFC. Except in this, it would be the best of PBC vs the other league.
              The sport is already PBC and everyone else. Now it's just a question of sinking HBO so everyone else has nowhere to go.

Haymon isn't spending a billion dollars to wind up with two leagues. He's going for the jugular.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
                Adam -

But Haymon doesn't want to be Bellator. He wants to be UFC. Nobody thinks of the Bellator titles as the real world championships. Copying the Bellator model would be a waste of Haymon's time. He's going for it all.

Bellator is not profitable. You have no idea what you're talking about. And you admit that Bellator's "blueprint" does not involve becoming the legit #1. So why would Haymon follow their plan when becoming the legit #1 is his goal?

You're correct that boxing's biggest problem is that it has too many factions. Which is why Haymon is going for the hail mary and trying to become the only game in town.

It takes time to get the pieces in place before you get to checkmate. Haymon threatened PBC titles to make the WBC/WBA/IBF roll over for him. He has them by the balls now. And by delaying creating his own belts, he's preventing other promoters from getting their hands on the traditional titles.
                Lmao..
                Logic is faulty on this one

Bellator isn't profitable is false... Viacom owns them and they draw good ratings on par with WWE without having to pay a license fee since they own it.. people have actually paid bellator, they aren't like pbc having to pay networks for airtime

UFC wasn't #1 when it introduced titles.. Pride fc was far better and more recognized as the better titles and better fighters and was for many years

Bellator will never be #1 because UFC had a huge head start and is a well oiled machine. Boxing and sanctioning bodies are ran horribly and would be very easy to overtake in North America

So instead of being like bellator and building your brand and niche, you would rather pbc burn thru money, and continue with the status quo of sanctioning bodies...

I can't believe people think that pbc can "change the game" or "takeover the game" by doing the exact same stuff as everyone else in boxing.. for pbc to work it needed to be something totally separate from current boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Cipher View Post
                  waaaaah aboutfkntime owned me again

Comment

It's too soon for the introduction of PBC championships. A lot of the leverage PBC has right now is that they've got so many WBC/WBA/IBF belts locked up. It doesn't make sense to take your foot off the neck of Arum/DLH/etc right now.

If PBC eventually lands a big TV deal, the day will come where they shun the sanctioning bodies and simply exist in their own world. At that point, the alphabelts will live on overseas, but will be essentially irrelevant in the US.

Fans want one champion per division. Fans want fewer divisions. These are issues PBC can address . . . when the time is right. If you make too many drastic changes too soon, you're just giving ammunition to your enemies.

But even though we have "one champion" in other American sports, it's not really one champion. It's just one champion the public recognizes above the others. There are dozens if not hundreds of basketball leagues around the world, but everybody accepts that the NBA is the clear cut #1 league, and therefore, their champion is the clear cut #1.

If PBC ever reaches the point where the public believes they have the clear cut #1 in all of the glamor divisions, they'll be able to flick the switch.
                    Adam -

But Haymon doesn't want to be Bellator. He wants to be UFC. Nobody thinks of the Bellator titles as the real world championships. Copying the Bellator model would be a waste of Haymon's time. He's going for it all.

Bellator is not profitable. You have no idea what you're talking about. And you admit that Bellator's "blueprint" does not involve becoming the legit #1. So why would Haymon follow their plan when becoming the legit #1 is his goal?

You're correct that boxing's biggest problem is that it has too many factions. Which is why Haymon is going for the hail mary and trying to become the only game in town.

It takes time to get the pieces in place before you get to checkmate. Haymon threatened PBC titles to make the WBC/WBA/IBF roll over for him. He has them by the balls now. And by delaying creating his own belts, he's preventing other promoters from getting their hands on the traditional titles.
                    Good stuff here. Learned a bit more about the politics and Haymon's long term vision makes sense. It made sense to me from the get go but you made a good chess analogy here that reminds me how intelligent Haymon is and how the people who claim that PBC is "losing business" and most of the hedge fund has gone down the toilet are being short sighted and/or aren't thinking in terms of profit and long term growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Lmao..
                      Logic is faulty on this one

Bellator isn't profitable is false... Viacom owns them and they draw good ratings on par with WWE without having to pay a license fee since they own it.. people have actually paid bellator, they aren't like pbc having to pay networks for airtime

UFC wasn't #1 when it introduced titles.. Pride fc was far better and more recognized as the better titles and better fighters and was for many years

Bellator will never be #1 because UFC had a huge head start and is a well oiled machine. Boxing and sanctioning bodies are ran horribly and would be very easy to overtake in North America

So instead of being like bellator and building your brand and niche, you would rather pbc burn thru money, and continue with the status quo of sanctioning bodies...

I can't believe people think that pbc can "change the game" or "takeover the game" by doing the exact same stuff as everyone else in boxing.. for pbc to work it needed to be something totally separate from current boxing
                      The only thing PBC has really done is over paid their athletes and wasted money.

I'll give it to PBC though. It started to bring boxing back to NBC, CBS, FOX. That's a good thing.

It's biggest problem is how protected the fighters are. Way too many mismatches on cards. Real bad cards.

The only cards I remember from PBC that were good, was Berto vs Ortiz card. That one was better than average. And then there was Thurman vs Porter. A few other ones were okay.

They're going for quantity over quality.

But yeah, PBC has to aim a little higher if they want to stick around.

Comment

Working...
                      X