Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If PBC had belts would you respect / acknowlege them over the Alpphabet titles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC should have had their own belts since the beginning and be like UFC and bellator and enforce rankings and have legit contenders

Boxing belts are worthless because of stupid mandatories, stupid vacant belts, super n regular belts, catchweights, horrible rankings, guys being stripped, etc..

Pbc could have changed all that by having legit rules and enforcing them like mma organizations

I think this is one of the missteps pbc has done that has hurt their growth

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      PBC should have had their own belts since the beginning and be like UFC and bellator and enforce rankings and have legit contenders

Boxing belts are worthless because of stupid mandatories, stupid vacant belts, super n regular belts, catchweights, horrible rankings, guys being stripped, etc..

Pbc could have changed all that by having legit rules and enforcing them like mma organizations

I think this is one of the missteps pbc has done that has hurt their growth
      would have been a huge mistake to do that on day 1.

al is trying to slowly edge HBO out of the business. one of the ways he's doing that is by locking up so many belts and so much american talent.

if he'd rejected the WBC/WBA/IBF on day one, HBO would have had an endless supply of young american world champions.

also, with PBC on so many networks at the start, multiple world champions in each division was needed.

eventually PBC will consolidate and i do think PBC titles are inevitable. but making that change makes a lot more sense once HBO has been forced out of the business.

Comment

i think most of us hardcore fans would agree that we don't need a belt to tell us who the best fighter in the division is. it would just be one more belt that clutters things and makes it even more confusing for the "casual fans"

Comment

Originally posted by gauze View Post
          i think most of us hardcore fans would agree that we don't need a belt to tell us who the best fighter in the division is. it would just be one more belt that clutters things and makes it even more confusing for the "casual fans"
          if PBC eventually lands an exclusive cbs/spike/showtime deal, ignored half of the weight classes, ignores all the champions, and creates PBC championships in 8 weight divisions, that would be far easier for casual fans to follow than the way the sport operates currently.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
            if PBC eventually lands an exclusive cbs/spike/showtime deal, ignored half of the weight classes, ignores all the champions, and creates PBC championships in 8 weight divisions, that would be far easier for casual fans to follow than the way the sport operates currently.
            somewhat true, but the only guy the casuals REALLY know is pacquiao, and canelo to a slight degree. would haymon match his guys in a PBC title fight against guys from other promotional outfits? i think casuals might wonder why the biggest names in the sport arent eligible for the PBC title.

personally, i dont give an f about the casuals. i just wanna see good fights, belt or no belt.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
              would have been a huge mistake to do that on day 1.

al is trying to slowly edge HBO out of the business. one of the ways he's doing that is by locking up so many belts and so much american talent.

if he'd rejected the WBC/WBA/IBF on day one, HBO would have had an endless supply of young american world champions.

also, with PBC on so many networks at the start, multiple world champions in each division was needed.

eventually PBC will consolidate and i do think PBC titles are inevitable. but making that change makes a lot more sense once HBO has been forced out of the business.
              Totally disagree.. it's not a mistake to have belts from day 1..

All pbc had to do was be like bellator and have 4 man tournaments to declare champs and follow up tournaments to declare top contenders

Pbc would have been much better off having a 140 tournament with Danny, Peterson, bringer, 147 with Thurman, Porter, Spence, ghost, 160 with Jacobs, quillen. 154 with jrock, Lara, charo, etc, etc

You can't be an "alternative" and something "different" if you do the exact same things as boxing promoters have done in the past.

Literally bellator laid the blueprint on how to become a legit, profitable company even if there already is a legit consensus #1 titles (UFC).... and UFC is a hell of a lot better and stronger than the boxing sanctioning bodies and yet bellator was still able to create their niche..

Boxing' biggest problem is that it has too many factions..
              WBC
              WBA
              IBF
              Wbo
              Promoters
              Networks
              Fighters
              Managers

Too many components to be able to get everyone on the same page all the time, pbc had a chance to bypass all the politics

HBO is getting out of boxing because boxing is dead, not because of pbc somehow edging them out..

boxing status quo has destroyed the sport in North America and yet you want pbc to just like it.. makes no sense to do any type of business with sanctioning bodies..

Pbc needs to be totally different and separate from boxing' status quo if it ever wants to differentiate itself to the general public.. they are entering year 3 and yet every fighter is in the exact same spot they were when it started with the possible exception of Errol Spence ..

Just look at the mess of pbc: who is the welter champ to casual fans,, is it Thurman? is it Danny. or is it brook that Spence is mandatory to?? how can pbc be taken serious by the general public when its promoted like this..

If pbc had their own belts from the start, I have no doubt they would be considered one of the top 2 belts in the sport by now if they had legit championship contenders/fights like UFC and bellator, which they are more than capable of doing

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Just look at the mess of pbc: who is the welter champ to casual fans,, is it Thurman? is it Danny. or is it brook that Spence is mandatory to?? how can pbc be taken serious by the general public when its promoted like this..

If pbc had their own belts from the start, I have no doubt they would be considered one of the top 2 belts in the sport by now if they had legit championship contenders/fights like UFC and bellator, which they are more than capable of doing
                Real talk.

Don't care about PBC belt, but it's certainly a way to make top fighters fight each other with the last man standing be declared a clear king of a division.

3 years and no stars have emerged.

Comment

Originally posted by gauze View Post
                  somewhat true, but the only guy the casuals REALLY know is pacquiao, and canelo to a slight degree. would haymon match his guys in a PBC title fight against guys from other promotional outfits? i think casuals might wonder why the biggest names in the sport arent eligible for the PBC title.
                  approximately 300k homes purchased pacquiao's recent fight. maybe 2-3x that amount watch an HBO fight. meanwhile, there have been several PBC cards with MILLIONS and MILLIONS of viewers. 10-15x a pacquiao fight. so some of these haymon fighters have awareness among casual sports fans that HBO fighters just don't have (other than pacquiao).

no, i don't think haymon would match anybody from outside the PBC for his PBC title fights, which is another reason why he must wait. before long, pacquiao will be gone. cotto will be gone. all that leaves is canelo. haymon is planting the seeds for a long term takeover.

he's created a situation that makes it very difficult for HBO to make NEW STARS. so it's just a waiting game until the old stars are gone. meanwhile, haymon accumulates more and more WBC/WBA/IBF champions as well as all the top contenders in the WBC/WBA/IBF rankings. so the belts will always stay in house.

study what don king did. when he got the money for his sports & entertainment network with the monthly PPV shows in the early 80s. haymon getting the hedge fund money is the same thing. and just like king, it's going to become very difficult to get a mandatory shot unless you're with haymon.

king was never able to kill arum though. arum always found a way to survive. but with the way haymon is operating, if he can get HBO to give up boxing, arum is sunk.

Comment

Adam -

But Haymon doesn't want to be Bellator. He wants to be UFC. Nobody thinks of the Bellator titles as the real world championships. Copying the Bellator model would be a waste of Haymon's time. He's going for it all.

Bellator is not profitable. You have no idea what you're talking about. And you admit that Bellator's "blueprint" does not involve becoming the legit #1. So why would Haymon follow their plan when becoming the legit #1 is his goal?

You're correct that boxing's biggest problem is that it has too many factions. Which is why Haymon is going for the hail mary and trying to become the only game in town.

It takes time to get the pieces in place before you get to checkmate. Haymon threatened PBC titles to make the WBC/WBA/IBF roll over for him. He has them by the balls now. And by delaying creating his own belts, he's preventing other promoters from getting their hands on the traditional titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Pechorin View Post
                      I was hoping they would do some UFC style **** back when PBC started, with all that $$$, you know, so as to have one legit champ per division, but that didn't happen.

Now with all the money they've burned through and with all the mismanagement they've done, the chances of a PBC champ belt are, pretty much, zero.

the result of that would have been..... yet another " title " (opinion)

Comment

Working...
                      X