No announcement yet.

Haymon top fighters need to sign with promoters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Idk about that. I mean virtually no promoter in the US promotes these days it seems like. I mean where was the promotion on Crawford vs Molina this weekend. Where was the promotion for most big promoter, non-PPV non-PBC fights this year? They don't really do much of a job promoting either in my eyes. Promoter is more a technical term for someone who puts on a fight more than its a literal term for being some PT Burnam type character.

I'd suggest these days most US promoters don't see a need to put in much real promoting of a card unless its a PPV card cuz the upside just isn't sexy enough for them & they are getting paid by HBO or Showtime or some other channel anyway so let them promote it.
    I'm talking about fighters without an advocate. PBC does a shitty job of advocating for their fighters. They've let Danny Garcia reputation go to shit. His stupid uneducated father speaks for him. You need a promoter with more savvy to defend Danny. Instead of his father making good points but they get lost in his foolishness. And like I said with Charlo and Schaefer. Why is Schaefer gonna beat the drum for the Charlo-Canelo fight when it'll be in Texas and Schaefer doesn't promote there? Who's going to go on the media campaign and advocate for Charlo to get the fight?

Comment

One of the main points I've agreed with is the fact that they all can't be built up like Mayweather.

You can't have 50 Mayweather's, it just won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        You're bringing up good managers. Haymon is a great manager but we're talking about promoting. All the managers you named have their fighters signed to a promoter. But what do you think about the point I made about promoters not advocating for fighters that aren't with them? I gave three examples, Dibella-Jacobs. Schaeffer-Charlo, DeGale-Hearn. So how do you overcome the problem of nobody advocating for the fighters? Hire a PR firm?
        Good Management and a Good PR Firm would be better than a Promoter, these Promoters other than Bob Arum and Eddie Hearn, WTF are they doing for these fighters exactly? This aint Pre Internet in which you need to be with the right Promotion to get Endorsements and on the Coverage of RING Magazine and other Boxing Magazine, now yes fighters can jump on the internet and promote themselves which is why this new mentality of not having a promoter is becoming popular with young fighters who are not so quick to sign with a promotion when they turn pro. You should work with a Promoter on a fight to fight bases why do they need to sign with them long term?

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
          they dont need a promotor even.. ive said pbc needs a front man and richard is perfect for it.. lou doesnt know how to talk to people. Rich is the perfect dana white for pbc
          I think Lou is the Dana of boxing, just without the same job title. Those two are brothers from different mothers. But I definitely agree with your point that PBC needs a front man of some sort to better tell the story & control the narrative of their boxers & the fights those boxers are involved in.

In lieu of that I think PBC needed to or needs to incorporate more side programming to get people acquianted with boxers better unlike those ****ty ads they were showing where every other round I'd see Jacobs talking about surviving cancer. Hell man a reality show on Bounce would probably help with specific guys. Have the "Charlo Brothers in LA" show or something. Have the Dirrell brothers or other cats come visit them. Have a spanish language reality show with Erislandy Lara. His wife becomes more famous then him probably, but more people watch Lara fights regardless.

Whatever the case you need more of a streamlined product or you need more emotions involved. And **** probably both.

Comment

Right now fighters have to really take the lead in their promotion the way PBC is set up. That can work for some guys but, and Haymon should know this not everyone want to be all out there in the media.

As an aside I think the New York thing has really hurt PBC because Dibella was their best promoter and he has kind of been taken out of action as he had to figure out his own business with his base of operations not being open for business to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              Who's going to go on the media campaign and advocate for Charlo to get the fight?
              Charlo himself or Leija Battah who work that region for PBC as I recall.

Comment

Charlo himself or Leija Battah who work that region for PBC as I recall.
                Yea but Leija can't work the media like Schaefer. They can hang up some posters and do some local radio shows. But they can't advocate in the media like Schaefer. I'm not just talking about promoting the fight I'm talking about creating a buzz for the fans to want the fight. Only Schaefer can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                  One of the main points I've agreed with is the fact that they all can't be built up like Mayweather.

You can't have 50 Mayweather's, it just won't work.
                  It can be repeated if someone steps up and promotes Wilder in the correct way. The pieces are in place to make Wilder V Joshua massive. Joshua/Klistscko will do 1 million PPV in the UK. The right US promotion of Wilder makes the fight bigger than Golovkin/Canelo. 2 million +

Comment

I think Lou is the Dana of boxing, just without the same job title. Those two are brothers from different mothers. But I definitely agree with your point that PBC needs a front man of some sort to better tell the story & control the narrative of their boxers & the fights those boxers are involved in.

In lieu of that I think PBC needed to or needs to incorporate more side programming to get people acquianted with boxers better unlike those ****ty ads they were showing where every other round I'd see Jacobs talking about surviving cancer. Hell man a reality show on Bounce would probably help with specific guys. Have the "Charlo Brothers in LA" show or something. Have the Dirrell brothers or other cats come visit them. Have a spanish language reality show with Erislandy Lara. His wife becomes more famous then him probably, but more people watch Lara fights regardless.

Whatever the case you need more of a streamlined product or you need more emotions involved. And **** probably both.

Boxing wives~ on whatever station because I guarantee that show would be nuts.

A contender like show on FS1

A PBC news sort of show monthly or bi-weekly probably on FS1 can do it after the Tuesday fights.

Yea they need to start making other programming to really get their guys out there, because that will actually allow for guys to promote themselves better.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                      Good Management and a Good PR Firm would be better than a Promoter, these Promoters other than Bob Arum and Eddie Hearn, WTF are they doing for these fighters exactly? This aint Pre Internet in which you need to be with the right Promotion to get Endorsements and on the Coverage of RING Magazine and other Boxing Magazine, now yes fighters can jump on the internet and promote themselves which is why this new mentality of not having a promoter is becoming popular with young fighters who are not so quick to sign with a promotion when they turn pro. You should work with a Promoter on a fight to fight bases why do they need to sign with them long term?
                      Well they need a PR firms or something. They need somebody advocating for them and PBC just isn't doing it. So after last night he called out Canelo. That'll be forgotten in a week. No promoter to send out press releases to the media keeping the word out there.

If I were his promoter I would put out an all out media blitz.

"We want the Canelo fight. That's the only fight we want right now. They're the top two 154lbers. He picked a nobody and fought him in Texas. Jermall is from Texas and wants to put on the fight for the fans in Texas. We can meet him at 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, or 160. Weight isn't an issue for us and we won't turn down $10 mil or even a quarter of that to make the fight happen"

Comment

Working...
                      X