Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Rigo beat Donaire Arum called him boring, when Loma beat Walters he's Matrix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Arum is more invested in Loma than he was in Rigo. He's younger, already achieved more as a pro and throws more punches, casual fans eat that up.

With that said, this 'boring' label is joke, in this era of boxing some of the most gifted fighters get stick for being defensively blessed, mostly by ignorant 'fans' who know nothing about the sport, but also promoters, trainers etc, which is hard to understand. Some of the past greats would get the same treatment if they were around today.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
      Funny thing rigos fight was 100x more entertaining
      Yeah, I don't get Arum's hate on Rigo. I kinda see where, in his role as a promoter, he doesn't want to see his rising star take a loss, which kills all the time and money he had invested building him up.

Even so, he knew that there was a shot for Rigo to win the fight and he should have been prepared to deal with that emotionally and strategically as a promoter. Parlaying the momentum from a win like that into an even bigger fight for Rigo, also gives him an out to diminish Donaire's loss because Rigo is so elite that even the best boxers can't beat him.

Rigo is a very defensive boxer but he doesn't run and he puts dudes down when he lands. Loma is a very offensive boxer who has defense built in, but it's his offense and stamina that takes over fights. He could have promoted them each differently, highlighting their specific skillsets as well as their incredible amateur records to appeal to different fan demographics (some people like "all-action" and some people like "chess matches").

I suspect that Walters has been causing Arum more problems than he would rather have to deal with so he became expendable, unlike Donaire was when he fought Rigo. Either way, I think he did Rigo wrong.

Comment

well rigo wasn't supposed to win that fight . .its that simple. that's why arum was so pissed..lets go back in time, nonito was the next big thing, p4p ranked already, arum had big plans for him..rigo was a gamble that backfired. .and when that happened he saw no future with rigo, he didn't feel his style was marketable.

difference between rigo and loma is simple..loma is busier offensively. rigo has no problem with not throwin a single punch for an entire round, because he's a pure counter puncher. loma let's off combos, he initiates the exchanges and looks damn good in the process because he's just as defensively responsible as rigo.

so from arums standpoint one style is marketable while another isn't..so don't expect him to throw loma in a ring with rigo no time soon, not because loma won't win but because rigo is such a dangerous opponent loma won't look as pretty boxing him. .and lets not forget rigos tendency to break jaws.

at least that's my take.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
          well rigo wasn't supposed to win that fight . .its that simple. that's why arum was so pissed..lets go back in time, nonito was the next big thing, p4p ranked already, arum had big plans for him..rigo was a gamble that backfired. .and when that happened he saw no future with rigo, he didn't feel his style was marketable.

difference between rigo and loma is simple..loma is busier offensively. rigo has no problem with not throwin a single punch for an entire round, because he's a pure counter puncher. loma let's off combos, he initiates the exchanges and looks damn good in the process because he's just as defensively responsible as rigo.

so from arums standpoint one style is marketable while another isn't..so don't expect him to throw loma in a ring with rigo no time soon, not because loma won't win but because rigo is such a dangerous opponent loma won't look as pretty boxing him. .and lets not forget rigos tendency to break jaws.

at least that's my take.

So far with all the promotional push Loma has been receiving he's shown to be pretty unmarketable. 2000 attendance 760k viewers. I mean you can put Carlos Molina vs another unwatchable fighter and you'll still get the same ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post
            Last time Rigo fought on HBO I believe under the ggg Lemeuix card he threw 5 punches a round and produced the most boring fight of all time. Screw him.
            this. i hate fighters that thrown less than 10 punches per round. I guess a lot of people do as well. Hence Arum;s reaction

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
              So far with all the promotional push Loma has been receiving he's shown to be pretty unmarketable. 2000 attendance 760k viewers. I mean you can put Carlos Molina vs another unwatchable fighter and you'll still get the same ratings.
              i get what you're saying but even with those facts loma is arums golden boy for the future. age is another factor, rigo is 36. .the best example you'll find to explain why arum and HBO dumped rigo..rewatch his fight vs drian francisco. yes he took the fight on short notice (a week i believe) but if you're a casual fan that performance would make your eyes bleed. it was bad. .and that's pretty much it, lomas style is more entertaining.

Comment

Rigo was on fire that night

Comment

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/7/16...oring-fighters

great 2013 article about rigo and all this "boring" talk, right after the donaire victory. .it does a good job of tackling this topic from every angle. .also check out the comments below.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post
                    Last time Rigo fought on HBO I believe under the ggg Lemeuix card he threw 5 punches a round and produced the most boring fight of all time. Screw him.
                    It was on the Cotto-Canelo undercard that Rigondeaux stunk up the place, getting booed for most of the 'fight' (I use that term loosely).

Comment

Because he wanted Donaire to win..He had a lot invested in him

Comment

Working...
                      X