Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conor McGregor drew twice (nearly triple)as many buys in 1 year than entire boxing s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sp0rty Cr@ig View Post
    Brock Lesnar won the world title in his 4th MMA fight or something.

Can you name a boxing champ who did that?
    This is your best argument as to why MMA requires no skills? You're a bigger idiot than I originally thought.

Here's a suggestion, go train MMA and come back and tell us how little talent it requires. Until you actually have some on the job experience with MMA, keep your mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      Canelo is a far bigger star than Conor....so is cotto
      You're delusional if you think that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        MacGregor has 3 losses. Just sayin.

you are making my point for me. MMA fans do not pass any judgement on Conor. When he does outrageous stuff, throws stuff at opponents, late to pressers, cursing in the media etc. fans don't criticize him for it. Broner's schtick was nowhere near as offensive or over the top as Conor dissing opponents yet many uptight posters took it way too seriously.

Conor calls himself the man in MMA, fans get it. Broner calls himself Mr HBO, posters start questioning iwhy he says this and if he is worthy enough.

You can never over promote yourself.

Yes Broner has issues. when he would say and do things to try and get press attention, boxing fans whined and complained. The same guys that did that are praising Conor for being a huge crossover star and MMA for the ability to promote him.

Makes no sense.
        The problem with Broner is that he's lost his biggest fights. He's more of a Ricardo Mayorga guy trying to sell a fight than a Floyd guy trying to sell a fight for that reason. If Broner had beaten Maidana + Porter he's still doing nutty **** & getting more attention than he does now + more people praising him for being a marketing genius.

I'd also suggest boxing fans are usually older cats so yea they can complain more about stuff like Broner does cuz it just seems childish & petty & who gives a f#ck about that just fight, but I'd also suggest that many MMA fans are complaining now about what Conor does...you might just not be hearing it cuz you're a casual MMA fan or not a MMA fan at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
          Still better than 97k... lil bosco.
          Dem feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            The problem with Broner is that he's lost his biggest fights. He's more of a Ricardo Mayorga guy trying to sell a fight than a Floyd guy trying to sell a fight for that reason. If Broner had beaten Maidana + Porter he's still doing nutty **** & getting more attention than he does now + more people praising him for being a marketing genius.

I'd also suggest boxing fans are usually older cats so yea they can complain more about stuff like Broner does cuz it just seems childish & petty & who gives a f#ck about that just fight, but I'd also suggest that many MMA fans are complaining now about what Conor does...you might just not be hearing it cuz you're a casual MMA fan or not a MMA fan at all.
            He moved up to fight those guys, same as MacGregor and lost, same as MacGregor.

The point I'm making is Broner at least tried to make himself a TV commodity. He talked the talk, fought hard and never quit and stayed brash in defeat. Others could learn from that.

OK, thats a good point and that might be what the problem is-its not that Broner is bad its that fans are more used to an ODH-who didn't have to build himself. Also a fair point that I am never in the MMA boards but I do check the MMA section here from time to time.

It just seems that fighters that try to get attention are scorned by boxing fans and those same fans then wonder why boxing doesn't have a cross over star. Answer seems obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              MacGregor has 3 losses. Just sayin.

you are making my point for me. MMA fans do not pass any judgement on Conor. When he does outrageous stuff, throws stuff at opponents, late to pressers, cursing in the media etc. fans don't criticize him for it. Broner's schtick was nowhere near as offensive or over the top as Conor dissing opponents yet many uptight posters took it way too seriously.

Conor calls himself the man in MMA, fans get it. Broner calls himself Mr HBO, posters start questioning iwhy he says this and if he is worthy enough.

You can never over promote yourself.

Yes Broner has issues. when he would say and do things to try and get press attention, boxing fans whined and complained. The same guys that did that are praising Conor for being a huge crossover star and MMA for the ability to promote him.

Makes no sense.
              Conor has plenty of haters, just like broner.
              Difference is that Conor backs it up..
              People say it's him just marketing himself, which is true, but then he also takes all the fights people wanna see... win or lose

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                You're delusional if you think that.
                that makes two of us then. proof es in the pudding....look at the ppv #'s of canelo's fights, the live gate and the man has mexico behind him...conor has a bunch of drunk bar dwellers and irish guys(little island).

UFC what you go watch when their isnt a big boxing ppv on, a party going on......wings, booze, and grown men swinging like females and humping each other.....yea the evolution of combat sports bwahahahahahahahaha with the "face" of combat sports

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  People say it's him just marketing himself, which is true, but then he also takes all the fights people wanna see... win or lose
                  backs what up....he has lost more times than broner....hell he quit imo vs Diaz....gave his neck and packed it in because he was tired and couldnt get him out of there

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Broner took fights as well. He lost to 2 bigger men.

Again, I get that Broner isn't an angel and doesn't train like he should. Howver, he did the things necessary to try and promote himself and make his name bigger.

More fighters should do same IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      I believe he's also sold more PPV's than any combat sports athlete in 18 months (the short amount of time he's been doing PPV's) in the history of combat sports (~6.7M allegedly) with 4 (of 5) PPV's in that time with over 1M buys (which is also a record cuz idk many cats who've even had 4 PPV's in that time period in the first place. In comparison Manny had 6 1M+ PPV' his entire career & Floyd had 8 1M+ PPV's in his entire career.

This Conor **** is insane.
                      No doubt Conor is a big PPV seller, but you have to take these UFC PPV's numbers with a grain of salt. The UFC will hype up anything to the gills to create the appearance they are taking over boxing. The UFC PPV sales are purely speculative and have no independent validation.

Plus we have to realize the sheer number of boxing events dwarfs the number of MMA events. And the UFC is really the only game in town other than Bellator for MMA so comparing to boxing is a bit silly.

Boxing will rebound. It had a rough 2016, with many of the big fights never happening or encountering obstacles. UFC had a similar year in 2014. We're just waiting for the next batch of stars to emerge from the shadow of Floyd/Pac...

Comment

Working...
                      X