Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ward capable of outboxing Kovalev on the back foot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he will be on the outside/back foot at times, but probably outside of punching range, so if Kovalev reaches he gets countered, I think Ward will mix it up by being outside and then inside, constantly changing distance and not ever letting Kovalev get comfortable.

What Kovalev will need to do is maximise his windows of opportunity and crack Ward when he is on the way in or on the way out, or creating his correct distance by using footwork, he can also have success pushing Ward back by landing something hurtful and breaking Ward's concentration.

I do expect Ward to hit the canvas at some point in the fight, but don't be surprised if he gets up, makes the necessary adjustments and dominates down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      Ward is a great athlete and an intelligent fighter... But Ward doesn't hold a "style", per se... Instead, Ward is capable of mimicking several styles...
      People always say this,but I ever only see him differ from his usual style of fighting for a round or two. I do think that he boxes from range a bit more since his return,but ultimately he is most comfortable fighting at close quarters where he counter effectively while smothering his opponents work rate.

Comment

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
        It'll definitely take some adjustments on both sides,whoever manages to control real estate, likely wins.
        Yea, I've been saying this one comes down to who controls the distance. Kovalev is too fast and long for Ward to dodge and counter like he usually does. Ward has spent his life developing his inside game and Kovalev is not going to learn how to out work him on the inside from one training camp. If Kov can't keep him off, he's done. If Ward can't get inside, there's other options but they are limited and unfavorable.
        This will be a game of inches.

Comment

It'll come down to Kovalev's jab, the ref, and Ward avoiding enough punishment on the way in. If Kovalev was a little more straightforward this isnt a contest in Ward's favor. The issue is that Kovalev has quick feet and anticiption and even though he seems like he's just concentrating on going forward/being offensive we've seen him anticipate and lead people into coming at him and he leaps back and counters. Kovalev has some really good nuances to his game and he's very skilled. Ward can't just rely on getting inside the entire time because Kovalev can throw deceptively short and compact when he's countering while going backwards. Ward will have to counter Kovalev and be unpredictable in his approach to closing the distance in that he will have to make Kovalev respect him from all ranges not just inside. You can't have a guy like Kovalev only worry about someone closing the distance because he hits so hard that he will eventually time you coming in while himself stepping out due to being longer. Ward is luckily an amazing athlete and has the iq and attributes to empose as much of his skill as possible. Will Ward fight so well (even if its just in spots) that Kovalev is completely unsure if Ward even WANTS to be on the inside at certain times thus opening up angles to get a hold of him? I honestly see each scenario where Ward is both sharp and unpredictable enough to make it his fight or where Kovalev is just a stone cold killer who never loses focus or gets frustrated and shows his pedigree as well. What a fight

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu
            Ward is a great athlete and an intelligent fighter... But Ward doesn't hold a "style", per se... Instead, Ward is capable of mimicking several styles...
            Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
            People always say this,but I ever only see him differ from his usual style of fighting for a round or two. I do think that he boxes from range a bit more since his return,but ultimately he is most comfortable fighting at close quarters where he counter effectively while smothering his opponents work rate.
            ... If not bothered by the opponent, Ward can turn a fight into a "fencing fest", condimented with his fast fluffy combos (see the Abraham fight)... But when pressured or bullied, Ward is able to turn the fight into the "dirtiest affair"...

In my opinion, Ward's the "cleanest" fight was that vs. Froch -- whom he handled in close range with practically no healthy hands!!! It was a tour de force, literally!!!

Comment

If this fight is fought off the back foot...Kovalev might as well stay in the locker room.

Comment

A lot is made of punching power but a fighters physicality must also factor in & Ward has some of the greatest physicality in the sport. He's immensely strong. He's bullish at times but has great athleticism.. Deadly combination!

Comment

Not just on the back foot; he's gonna have to change between boxing off the back foot, shooting everything off the jab, to using his quick feet to quickly close the distance, tie Kovalev up, and then box from the INSIDE OUT - throwing quick combinations on the inside, then pivoting and stepping out to the side, and leading with the straight right rather than the jab... I can see it in my head what Ward will have to do to win...

If he just tries to stay on the back foot, and doesn't show Kovalev different distances, Kovalev is excellent at eventually gauging, and finding the perfect distance for his straight... while cutting off the ring.

Ward needs to stay on the outside (even though Kovalev has a longer reach - Ward can negate it with his quick feet), AND switch to getting right up in Kovalev's chest...

He must stay out of mid-range which is Kovalev's sweet spot... Well, he's also deadly from the outside too...

I think Kovalev is going to be surprised at how strong Ward is in the clinch, and on the inside...

IMO, one of Ward's greatest assets aside from the obvious boxing technique, is his PHYSICAL STRENGTH (which as all boxing fans know - doesn't always transfer into punching power)... But his raw strength is always what allows him to win position battles on the inside, and get his shots off with great leverage on the inside. He rag dolled Froch a few times in the clinch on the inside.

Comment

That being said - I still favor Kovalev to win this fight...

I think Kovalev will win more rounds by rocking Ward, and stealing rounds - rounds that Ward normally would have won with clean boxing, but due to the visible impact of Kovalev's shots, it will give him rounds...

Wouldn't be surprised if he drops Ward too...

I don't see him stopping Ward, though... Ward is way too crafty to allow himself to get cold ****ed.

Comment

Ward is gonna win this 8 rounds to 4. Kovalev is gonna look like Froch did when Ward beat him

Comment

Working...
                      X